What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ski's fit AND new snow...

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
So, I got my ski's to fit in the 6 (without hard points and a hollowed out sidewinder under the wing).

With this new discovery and new snow at Big Bear, does anyone here have experience with getting transportation between L35 and the mountain?
Oh and speaking of mountain, I see there are actually 2 ski areas. Is one preferred over the other?

I'm going up Thurs early and if my legs survive the first day I'll be looking for lodging and ski Firday also.

Cathy

20160308_110605.jpg

20160307_123843.jpg

20160307_133058.jpg

Cathy,
Paul and Louise have a cabin at Big Bear. I'm sure they will jump in and give you answers soon, but if not, shoot them a PM and they'll get back to you.

Most likely a decoration in her living room-------goes well with all the motorcycles.

dang I thought you were talking about putting skis ON the 6. There is a guy here who has skis on his -8. Wheel penetration skis no less. They work great and much safer in the winter than wheels if the whirly thing quits.

With this new discovery and new snow at Big Bear, does anyone here have experience with getting transportation between L35 and the mountain?
Oh and speaking of mountain, I see there are actually 2 ski areas. Is one preferred over the other?

I know there is a local taxi that will shuttle you to the mountain fron the airport, but it's pricey...prob about $50 or so. That's not because it's far, it's because there is only one game in town when it comes to cabs. Both mountains are owned by the same company and they are actually connected by a trail. Snow Summit is closer to the airport so I'd say go there and you can ski across to Bear Mountain.

Have fun and give us a report back on the ride to/from the airport.

Last edited:
Cathy,
Paul and Louise have a cabin at Big Bear. I'm sure they will jump in and give you answers soon, but if not, shoot them a PM and they'll get back to you.

I think they have their lodging and trans there 24/7/365. I was wondering what those of you have done who fly in otherwise. Thanks for the tip though, I appreciate all the help I can get.

Taxi, taxi

I decided on a car rental, just to have some flexibility since the cost difference is minimal. No UBER at L35 yet I guess.
I am still undecided if I'll ski one or two days. I think I'll wing it, via lodging until tomorrow. Maybe peeps on the mountain have some good intel on apre-ski/lodging.

Wouldn't a couple of sidewinder imposter ski tubes be fun though. Maybe next season...then I can take Skip along.

I think they have their lodging and trans there 24/7/365. I was wondering what those of you have done who fly in otherwise. Thanks for the tip though, I appreciate all the help I can get.

Just saw this thread Cathy - glad you found an arrangement. The old Honda we keep in the hangar there is having....issues....I'd kind of hate for someone to use it and get themselves stranded.

Gee, for another hour flying, you could go to a REAL mountain (Mammoth)!:D

Just saw this thread Cathy - glad you found an arrangement. The old Honda we keep in the hangar there is having....issues....I'd kind of hate for someone to use it and get themselves stranded.

Gee, for another hour flying, you could go to a REAL mountain (Mammoth)!:D

A real mountain...I skied AZ last week. I'm hoping Bear Mtn will be an improvement. They at least have snow. :)

Snow summit

Having nearly raised three kids skiing at big bear, I would recommend snow summit not bear mountain. Bear is better for tricks and stuff, snow summit is better for normal skiing. Jmho
But now I spend the extra time and go to mammoth. If you are a high intermediate or advanced skier I would recommend mammoth ; After 8 seasons me and my kids have outgrown snow summit.

Real skiing.....

.....Looks like Colorado is no farther. Telluride is a fun place to land and easy to get into town. Courtesy car (not sure about overnight). Wolf Mountain is outside of Durango. Crested Butte not much farther. Aspen area just across the ridge to the east. Go real skiing!

NEXT INSTALLMENT........

"The legalities of flying home with one leg in a cast!"

Not a Sidewinder, not even the front. It is an LGB (laser guided bomb) and more specifically the GBU-24/Paveway III. I always thought the travel pods were old napalm canisters -- good rumor at least! Golf clubs fit through the door, but you had to take off the tail cone to get the skis in. I think Slasher's ski and RV method worked quite well assuming her ski buddy wasn't flying with her!

Not a Sidewinder, not even the front...

That's as might be, but the combination of gimballing optical seeker and canard fins is a clear indication of some AIM9 heritage. For a while, the China Lake guys were sticking those things on everything that moved, and some that didn't.

...It is an LGB (laser guided bomb)...

As I was saying, blind to the incoherent.

Thanks, Bob K.

Both mountains are owned by the same company and they are actually connected by a trail. Snow Summit is closer to the airport so I'd say go there and you can ski across to Bear Mountain.
There is no trail between the 2 mountains but there is a shuttle.

Bear Mtn is actually closer to the airport but its very close to being the same.

Bear Mtn caters more to snow boarders but as a skier, it is my favorite since there are steeper runs if you go up to Geronimo and way less snow boarders on that run.

My GF has a cabin up there and we have season passes so I know the area well.

I apologize for the bad info, I thought that they built a ski trail across the top connecting the two this past summer.
They are surprisingly far from each other at the top.

They did put in a great mountain bike trail that parallels 2N10 which is the road at the top of the mountain. Maybe that is what you were thinking of.

Back