What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New 912 ULS Spark Plugs and Caps

todehnal

Well Known Member
I see that new spark plugs and caps are being used on newer 912ULS engines, and others. (SI 912-027) It looks like they have gone to a dual electrodes which is not adjustable. Also, the new caps are 90 degrees instead of the lesser angle that we have on out older engines. Not sure why the change, but you might get better ignition spark from the new setup. It was not clear if the new system uses the threaded connection, or if you now use the spark lug crew cap. Looks like we can change to the new style is desired. Anyone have any more info of these?.............Tom

At 8x the cost of the old plugs, plus well over $300 to replace all 8 boots... no thanks, I'll stick with the old ones. I cannot imagine a benefit that would justify spending an extra $469 the next time I change plugs, and $150 each time after that.

From what I have read on the Rotax forum (just a quick Google search), the old or new boots will fit either style of plug.

Edit: Oh, sorry. I see you can go 200 hours on the new plugs as long as you're not burning avgas, so only an extra $60-some-odd per hundred hours.

Last edited:
Edit: Oh, sorry. I see you can go 200 hours on the new plugs as long as you're not burning avgas, so only an extra $60-some-odd per hundred hours.

The original plugs were approved for 200 hrs as well, if using primarily unleaded fuel.

OK. Hadn't looked at that in the the maintenance manual recently, but now that I think about it... I did see that, I guess. I just figured they were cheap enough at around $25 for a full set, I'd just replace them during the condition inspection even if they hadn't hit 200 hours.

Back