What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Video camera mounting

Slane

Well Known Member
Patron
I've attempted using my iPhone 6 Plus to take 'hands-off' video in the cockpit using a suction cup. The vibration is too much with this strategy and the video is darned near useless. What mounting methods are others using in the RV-12 that have been successful? I realize the iPhone is not the best tool for this purpose and plan to upgrade when I can afford to, but in the meantime any info would be appreciated.

This is taken with a Mobius 1080P HD Action Camera Wide Angle - C2 Lens.

Mount is 1/4"-20 Adhesive Camera Mount taped to bottom of rollover bar.

See video here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enwOI_Ye1zI&t=81s
-
214bnth.png

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your reply. The video is good and the price is cheaper than I thought it would be. I'd like to be able to control the camera remotely and I also want to have audio-in capability to record comm/intercom sound. Any thoughts? Anybody?

Scott, I can show you some ideas that have worked for me. Drop by. :)

Several remote-controlable GoPro or Virb options (as well as others). I also have a 360-degree camera that I've mounted in the 12 with essentially zero vibration issues. It's quite doable. Mostly about a vibration-free location for the mount and proper stability/isolation of the camera in the mount. And having a relatively low-vibration engine helps, of course!

greg

Rollbar mounted action cam.

Hi all

I am currently evaluating a suitable solution for an action cam mount in my -12. I favor to install the mount on the right side of the rollbar somehow.
I don't want to drill any holes for the mount, nor I like the idea of using self adhesive types due to premature failure. Ideally, a suction cup mounted on the forward web of the rollbar would be nice if that is a way to go.

I would very much appreciate your comments about it and would love to see some images of your cam. installations on the rollbar, if you have any pictures to share.
I have not yet decided which cam to go with, but GoPro Hero 6, the smaller Session or the Garmin Virb are candidates for now.

Thank you!!
Chris

On the first flight I used a GoPro suction mount with a GoPro and an audio cable bought from AircraftSpruce.
The suction mount was placed just behind the rollbar on the window. Looks quite stable;

First Flight PH-BZT

Thanks Joeri. I checked out the audio cable. Seems to be a nice thing. The audio in your vid is pretty clear and I like the idea of the suction cap on the rear window. I haven't considered the window for that.

Back