What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR to Russia (In Memory of Bob Axsom)

Small world

Vlad,

Is there anyplace on this planet you don't run into or know somebody? Van's needs to put you on their payroll or at least spring for an engine for you. You have to be Van's biggest ambassador.

Dont paint

Vlad,

Is there anyplace on this planet you don't run into or know somebody? Van's needs to put you on their payroll or at least spring for an engine for you. You have to be Van's biggest ambassador.

Dont paint your plane, or you wont be recognized.

If you do, do it in gun metal grey and leave the fiberglass in white.

Vlad,

I can tell you I was sitting on the fence about starting a build until I met Vlad. He spent time talking with my son - he was so excited about the build when we left.

Forever grateful.

A chance meeting with Vlad means good things are about to happen! He is the one and only........Vlad!

I enjoy Vlad's writing style. It's boiled down to the facts and sprinkled with insights that allow for reading between the lines. Superb!

Thanks for kind words everyone. Dave12 couldn't be possible without you thanks for the mag replacement and timing.

Departure%20-%201%2021.jpg

There will be a couple pages extension to this trip as I track back to NJ via Alaska and British Columbia. In Russia my airplane was parked for several days but in British Columbia there was a lot of flying. Come here next week check it out. You won't regret. :)

121%20-%201.jpg

Muddy%20Creek%20-%201.jpg

IFR Into Nome

Hi Vlad,

You just proved the best way to fly IFR in Alaska. I Follow Roads.

Been there and have followed several through the years, a couple of times flying formation in Hueys over the highway back to Anchorage.

Once, got stuck behind a semi, chin bubble was covered from road spray, finally was able to pass it on a straight stretch. Decided enough of that and we changed it to I Follow Railroad tracks.

Reading/following your amazing journey! Enjoying it and all of the photos.

Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Russki,

Great story however you never did say what the sign by the bear meant with the gun in a yellow circle.

Are my guns welcome in Russia?

;) CJ

Thanks for kind words everyone. Dave12 couldn't be possible without you thanks for the mag replacement and timing.

Departure%20-%201%2021.jpg

My pleasure pal. I just wish all those cosmetic surgeons would stop calling trying to sell me a chin tuck!

Amazing

Not to take a thing away from your amazing flying adventure Vlad, but to me meeting your old classmate was priceless - really awesome!

Your journey inspires!

Like so many others I have followed this Russian journey and your write up daily. The fact that you were willing to fly over fridged water and desolate tundra VFR in an RV says a lot about your daring and confidence.

My I ask were you wearing any type of protective water proof suit and did you carry a life raft? If so, What was your plan for extracting it from the RV in the event of a water landing? Time of useful consciousness in frigid waters can be very short.

I agree with everyone that this journey was impressive! Van's really should put you on their payroll and the EAA should pay you to write a trip article for SPORT AVIATION. Maybe you can become a Northeast representative for Van's. Your adventure inspired me.

Time to place bets on where Vlad goes next summer. My guess is Mexico!

Vlad has hinted at coming to Australia and next winter (your summer time) there's an opportunity to join a group of us that are planning to circumnavigate this big island, covering around 8000nm over 3 weeks.

We're calling it the Four Extremities Tour, New Guinea to Tasmania, Byron Bay to Monkey Mia. And a lot in between. Not yet confirmed but it's possible this particular journey has never been done before.

Come on down and join us Vlad. N666BK could help us make history.

Mexico? Pfffttt! That would be too easy. How about Tierra del Fuego! :D

For that trip, I recommend Barbara Cushman Rowell's Flying South. A good story, and beautifully illustrated--her husband is (was) noted adventure photographer Galen Rowell.

Sadly, she didn't live to see it in print; she and her husband were killed in a plane crash shortly before its release.

Time to place bets on where Vlad goes next summer.
He could try to beat Bill Harrelson's record: Around the world, over the poles:
A pilot from Fredericksburg, Virginia, has flown around the world in a single-engine airplane on a route down the eastern side of the Americas, over the South Pole, across the Pacific Ocean, up the West Coast of the U.S. to Alaska, over the North Pole, and home.

Those 20 hr. legs would be a bitch, though...

Records

Bill Harrelson previously set a world record for distance in a straight line for the weight category.
Not all these end well. Colin Hales is in a Japanese hospital with a broken back. Off airport landing in KR2 following engine failure. He had made it from England westbound to US, Alaska, Russia and then Japan.

History

Don Taylor, first EAB around the world, Thorp T18, 1976.
Jon Johanson, RV 4, three around the world flights.
In the last few weeks two RV8's across the North Atlantic via the Northern route.
As I stated in another post I believe Max Conrad was the first to fly the Atlantic in a light airplane. Two round trips Minneapolis to Switzerland in a Piper PA 20 Pacer.
Too bad Vlad couldn't have continued west around the world. The North Atlantic is no worse than the Bering Sea, just a lot more miles.

Lindy

The definition of light airplane has evolved over many decades but it was generally accepted at the time that the Spirit was not a light airplane. The earliest US "lightplanes" were the Aeronca C series of the early 30's and the Cub a bit later.
I think light airplane of lightplane was always rather unclear. The only thing that I know of that is definitive is 12,500# gross weight, above which you need a type rating.

Er, wasn't Lindbergh the first? :D

Hmmm...
Spirit of St Louis
Wingspan 46'
Length 27' 7"
Empty Weight 2150 lb
Max TO Weight 5135 lb
Power 223 hp

Cessna 206
Wingspan 36'
Length 28' 3"
Empty Weight 2176 lb
Max TO Weight 3600 lb (25% over gross for over ferry 4500 lb)
Power 300 hp

Both seem like light planes to me :D

I spent one day in Nome. I can tell you the life of a visitor gets expensive there. Striking similarity with QOL on the other side of Bering Strait.

Nome%20-%201.jpg

Nome%20-%201%201.jpg

Next morning I repositioned my RV to Bering Air ramp and topped tanks off with the most expensive avgas for the whole trip at $8.05 per gallon. Chatted for couple minutes with local pilots and left VFR eastbound. Nobody seemed to believe where I came from. Oh well.

Nome%20-%201%202.jpg

Nome%20-%201%203.jpg

It was a typical VFR weather for Nome.

Nome%20-%201%204.jpg

I enjoyed the shoreline for half hour then after passing a puffin colony climbed on top of a thin layer of scattered clouds.

Nome%20-%201%206.jpg

Nome%20-%201%205.jpg

Nome%20-%201%208.jpg

My next stop was Tanana airfield PATA. I served myself a snack without a stewardess. The spoon, by the way, was given to me by TurboEddie several years ago it's still in my survival kit. Thanks Turbo!

Nome%20-%201%207.jpg

Nome%20-%201%209.jpg

Last edited:
Tanana to Fairbanks to Tok

Tanana stop was quick. I added a quart of oil to the engine, visited main terminal and took off.

Nome%20-%201%2011.jpg

Nome%20-%201%2010.jpg

The gravel runway is very wide but it's beat up in the center so I used the smooth side of it.

Nome%20-%201%2012.jpg

Showers were popping here and there by the time I reached Fairbanks the rain was almost over.

Nome%20-%201%2013.jpg

6 Bee Kay you are cleared to land 20L caution wake turbulence from a heavy jet on the parallel.

Nome%20-%201%2014.jpg

Gas, restroom and out of Fairbanks in 30 minutes. Tok Junction PFTO is next...

Nome%20-%201%2015.jpg

Look, from here in the last century Smokey was launching to space with "a tourist".

Nome%20-%201%2016.jpg

Tok Junction wash rinse repeat. Gas, food and we are rolling again.

Nome%20-%201%2019.jpg

Northway an impressive airfield in the middle of a swamp.

Nome%20-%201%2020.jpg

This is the border Alaska-Canada. I am cleared to enter the Canadian airspace.

Nome%20-%201%2021.jpg

Calling the day at Atlin, BC

There were some T-storms on Canadian side but nothing to worry about. Easy to bypass.

Nome%20-%201%2024.jpg

Nome%20-%201%2025.jpg

The destination for the day is Atlin, British Columbia.

Nome%20-%201%2026.jpg

Greg Arehart to the rescue again. After an extensive debriefing on my trip to Russia Greg and Julia fed me, then instructed how to scare a visiting bear. The bear was coming very often and even damaged some things at their cabin.

Nome%20-%201%2022.jpg

These are my repellents.

Nome%20-%201%2023.jpg

Tomorrow I will have a very scenic flying day. Greg already suggested couple destinations. Good night see you tomorrow :D

Beautiful!

I am loving following this adventure. One question? When lunch was served, it looked like you had a grip on the stick with your knees. Are you doing all these trips without any autopilot?

I am loving following this adventure. One question? When lunch was served, it looked like you had a grip on the stick with your knees. Are you doing all these trips without any autopilot?

Thanks Jeff. Correct no autopilot. I enjoy hand flying. There is nothing to do in my cockpit anyway. I can trim it off and take a nap :)

Atlin to Muddy Lake

After healthy breakfast Greg, Julia and I left Atlin. They locked the cabin and took a camping trip to Dawson City. I headed toward Muddy Lake airstrip. I learned about it from a helicopter pilot they were hauling heavy equipment for miners there couple years ago and he boasted a superb runway.

Atlin%20-%201%203.jpg

Atlin%20-%201%202.jpg

Atlin%20-%201.jpg

Taking off Atlin airport.

Atlin%20-%201%205.jpg

Breathtaking views.

Atlin%20-%201%207.jpg

Muddy Lake is in that valley according to the charts.

Atlin%20-%201%208.jpg

The mines. A waterfall out of a mine shaft.

Atlin%20-%201%209.jpg

Atlin%20-%201%2013.jpg

And they call it a superb runway?

Atlin%20-%201%2010.jpg

It's a complete washout. Quite a challenge of a go around in that narrow canyon.

Atlin%20-%201%2012.jpg

Meh. I'll pass. Telegraph Creek is next...

End of days, people. Moose out front just told you. :D

I will leave it for tailwheel guys Mike.

Atlin%20-%201%2011.jpg

Telegraph Creek Greg told me about that and cautioned about rough and stony runway. Let's go and take a look. Couldn't be worse then Muddy Lake.

Telegraph%20creek%20-%201%202.jpg

Telegraph%20creek%20-%201%204.jpg

Telegraph%20creek%20-%201%205.jpg

Local fox didn't even pay attention to my shiny homebuilt.

Telegraph%20creek%20-%201%206.jpg

Telegraph%20creek%20-%201%207.jpg

But a guy who just ran here from the village to look at an airplane heard it all.

Telegraph%20creek%20-%201%208.jpg

We can talk nonstop how we bucked those rivets. Feels so good when somebody actually listens. Time is up and I need some gas. Telegraph Creek has none.

Telegraph%20creek%20-%201%209.jpg

Telegraph%20creek%20-%201%2010.jpg

The closest airport with gas is Terrace CYXT. I also know there is a good borsch in a local cafeteria. That's where I am heading from Telegraph Creek. Stay with me.

Got lost

I told you yesterday I was going to fly to Terrace for gas and a lunch. Well, I got lost. If you ever fly in British Columbia in the middle of June expect to be distracted and eventually lost in this surrounding beauty.

to%20Stewart%20-%201.jpg

to%20Stewart%20-%201%201.jpg

to%20Stewart%20-%201%202.jpg

to%20Stewart%20-%201%203.jpg

I got my bearings right I still have a ton of fuel. I can sightsee for an extra hour or so. A lot of uncharted strips around and a decent empty road nearby in case you need a pit stop.

to%20Stewart%20-%201%204.jpg

Mini Mattehorn.

to%20Stewart%20-%201%205.jpg

Wait a sec this looks familiar. I've been here it's Bob Queen Lake. Small world.

to%20Stewart%20-%201%206.jpg

I do remember these fluffy mountains.

to%20Stewart%20-%201%207.jpg

Not sure if this logging was developed last year. A lot of activity a lot of dust.

to%20Stewart%20-%201%208.jpg

From here I will deviate to the right there is a road there according to a Canadian VFR chart. The roads leads to Stewart, BC. Greg Arehart advised me to visit the town if there is a chance. You won't be disappointed he said.

to%20Stewart%20-%201%209.jpg

Road to Stewart BC

Blending in. A road to Stewart BC.

to%20Stewart%20-%201%2010.jpg

to%20Stewart%20-%201%2021.jpg

Honestly there are no words to describe what you see. Stunning beauty of the valley pictures don't do any justice.

to%20Stewart%20-%201%2011.jpg

I posted this picture elsewhere and a military/airline pilot quickly recognized it. He drove his bike from NM to Deadhorse AK and parked right here by this lake.

to%20Stewart%20-%201%2013.jpg

to%20Stewart%20-%201%2012.jpg

to%20Stewart%20-%201%2015.jpg

Here it is Stewart BC. An excellent asphalt runway, a mile from Alaskan town Hyder and a lot of affordable hotels within walking distance from the airport.

to%20Stewart%20-%201%2016.jpg

to%20Stewart%20-%201%2018.jpg

to%20Stewart%20-%201%2019.jpg

It looks like I am not going anywhere today. I park and walk to town. A little brown bear sneaked through the bushes a common thing I was told not to worry about it is half domesticated.

to%20Stewart%20-%201%2020.jpg

Stewart BC

stunning scenery!

Indeed Steve. The weather forecast looked good for tomorrow I walked to the town and checked in with King Edward Hotel.

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%201.jpg

An excursion to the past. I visited the local museum just hour before it closes and based on the tour mapped myself a nice flying route for tomorrow.

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%209.jpg

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%203.jpg

Have you ever thought that back in the days there were horse snow shoes? I kid you not I didn't know.

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%204.jpg

After museum tour I strolled the boardwalk and even tried to reach Hyder, AK on foot but got tired quickly and returned.

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%205.jpg

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%206.jpg

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%207.jpg

I walked pass the airport just to check if everything is OK and saw these two were not talking to each other.

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%208.jpg

Tomorrow I will figure out why. Btw do you remember the guy who remotely bought me a dinner when I was in El Centro California last year? You don't? I do. So I enter the bar in my hotel in Stewart BC and the bartender tells me I can drink anything I want and it's all paid for. By who?! By a guy, the same guy. It was cool thank YOU!

Local Flying. Salmon Glacier.

In the morning after a breakfast at the hotel I walked to the airport. I have to figure out how to find some gas for local flying. There is no fixed wing aircrafts based at Stewart Municipal airport but rather a dozen plus of different kinds of helicopters. All jet powered. Flying mine deliveries, equipment hauling and some scientific research. What a friendly bunch are those chopper drivers. I was able to borrow several gas cans and a truck. Filled them up at local gas station and was all set for fun. Somebody asked for a ride but I didn't have passenger seat installed it didn't happen.

Winds calm ceiling 8,000 overcast with some mountain obscuration. Let's roll. I cork screwed over the airport till clear of surrounding terrain and went sightseeing.

Stewart%20BC%20-%201_1.jpg

Hopped over the ridge toward Alaskan side and descended for Salmon Glacier. Cassiar highway was empty not too many drive to the scenic viewpoint today.

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%201_1.jpg

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%202_1.jpg

Very interesting glacier quite different from the others I flew over.

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%203_1.jpg

Note for those who concern about safety of flying over unhospitable terrain like glaciers. First of all I tend to dramatize the pictures by cropping. Second I carry enough energy in case my Lycoming decides to go for lunch. Third you would be surprised but there are plenty of spots on a glacier you can make a survivable emergency landing.

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%205_1.jpg

Turn around and glide toward Salmon River.

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%206_1.jpg

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%207_1.jpg

A little low level fun over the river.

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%2010_1.jpg

Then jump to an altitude by Hyder. Somebody was watching FAA webcam and wondering if I can time a pass at right angle to be viewed. It didn't work.

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%209_1.jpg

Climbed to 7-8K again to check a monument of a gold rush mine. They were bringing drilling equipment here by horses till late 19th Century.

Stewart%20BC%20-%201%204_1.jpg

A little party with a helicopter pilot followed nobody else showed up. It was a good day. Tomorrow (two days later) I finally go to Terrace where there is avgas and a good borsch.

Last edited:
Truly Awsome!

So inspiring Vlad.

The pictures are just great and the versatility of the RV is amazing isnt it.

A homebuilt aircraft traversing the continent like this is AMAZING! I wonder what (Dick) Van must think of this adventure in one of his designs.

CAVU Vlad on the rest of your trip.

Did you see the lake and flood? Happens most every year and would be fascinating to watch, especially from the air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_Glacier

Greg

I probably missed the flood Greg. I skimmed Salmon River back and forth couple times but the water was really low with plenty of landable sand bars.

... That's the early morning view from my hotel room in Stewart BC. The sun is rising and the ground mist will be burnt in couple hours. Breakfast, check out and 10 min walk to the airport. Half of the helicopter crowd was already working at their camps.

Terrace%20-%201.jpg

Terrace%20-%201%201.jpg

Smooth air beautiful views. Destination Terrace.

Terrace%20-%201%203.jpg

I slice a thin layer of fog and climb to 11,500 feet. Surreal landscapes.

Terrace%20-%201%204.jpg

Terrace%20-%201%205.jpg

In an hour and 20 minutes I am descending toward Terrace CYXT. Terrace radio holds a Westjet commuter till I vacate the runway. I got a nice comment from a lady-captain. Made my day.

Terrace%20-%201%207.jpg

The only FBO servicing transient fixed wing was quick and efficient. They fueled my airplane asked where I came from and where I am going. They took it as a good joke. Then I walked to the main terminal by Canadian Cadets Memorial.

Terrace%20-%201%208.jpg

Terrace%20-%201%209.jpg

I was rewarded with a nice lunch. A Czechoslovakian woman owns the restaurant and cooks nice borsch. Stop by if you are in Terrace you won't regret. 5 Canadian dollars for a bowl.

Terrace%20-%201%2010.jpg

Time to roll again. Bye Terrace! Clear the surface area to the East.

Terrace%20-%201%2012.jpg

Next stop planned was 108 Mile-Caribou Regional they have a nicely priced hotel at the airport. It's only 3 hours flight but I didn't make it. I landed some place I couldn't believe myself.

Like 55 grand others, I'm enjoying your odyssey to the land of the Czars. I have a simple question though, are all these well done photographs from your cell phone or a quality SLR?

Like 55 grand others, I'm enjoying your odyssey to the land of the Czars. I have a simple question though, are all these well done photographs from your cell phone or a quality SLR?

Thanks Vern. All shots are from Nikon D5500 all in auto mode. One of the few heavy cameras you can operate one handed. All pictures will go dark soon anyway they are on Pee Bucket :D

This can be avoided easily, download your photo inventory from XXX Bucket to your hard drive before they lock it up. Read through my suggested photo hosting solutions where the library lives as long as you give the web site hosting outfit twenty or thirty bucks a year. Of course, keep a copy of your web site in a cloud backup outfit like Synciplicity or Drop Box ( five bucks a month). Most any semi competent IT guy or 14 year old can do it for you ;)

Read this; http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=151175&highlight=photo+editing&page=3

If all this fails send me a PM, it would be a forum catastrophe if you got discouraged and cancelled your RV flight to Byrd Station.

Enjoying the journey with you. Quite like the way you tell the story.

Magnificent scenery and great photos.

But, am I the only person seeing an alien ship?

Enjoying the journey with you. Quite like the way you tell the story.

Magnificent scenery and great photos.

But, am I the only person seeing an alien ship?

How accidentally cool is that ! (Alien ship)

Keep'em coming Vlad, Outstanding!

Welcome to Alaska reality

Some good observations about risk from those watching Vlad's journey.
The reality of northern flying is not so evident unless you have lived there and flown regularly (for a living most likely). My time as an air taxi pilot was full of lessons. Low ceilings, weather that changes to IFR in minutes, without forecast. It is just a daily reality. And without roads, it is imperative to rely on planes. As Vlad mentions, you keep an eye out for a survivable landing spot... just as we do here in the lower 48. Just with more urgency on most days. The old R-985 engines had plenty of years and hours on them.... yet we kept on trucking. An outfit based in Juneau has flown the cold water channel for decades with Pipers on wheels. At least I had floats for the day the engine decided to pack it in. I had the opportunity to be chief pilot for the Capstone project when synthetic vision was developed. The technology brought a measure of safety to the arena but did not eliminate risk. We take it for granted in our RV's now. But many thousands of hours are in the logs, done by all those flying the beach line at low altitude. The FAA has cut the Alaskans slack for decades, as they know the realities first hand. The fatality rate is not one to be proud of... but the risk is accepted as part of the landscape. Vlad has done a good job of bringing the magnificent scenery to those armchair bush pilots around the world who have followed this thread. Cheers to a good Russian.

Three days and no updates. I'm beginning to think he never came home after all.

- mark :D

Back