What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS EFII Install

albertaflyer

Hi,
I have a short line (5") from pressure regulator to bulkhead fitting. Just wondering best procedure to connect line? Flex line, hard line straight in (little bit of offset not much), or a loop with hard line? Expansion/contraction an issue on such a short line? I've seen others do it but I want it done right. Not sure on what's an acceptable practice with aircraft fuel line. Btw it's a 3/8" line.
Thanks

Can you post a picture? Line use will depend an awful lot on the amount of potential relative movement between the two connection points.

Here's the example from the Fly EFII installation manual. Looks pretty clean to me.

kTOHpcg.png

Hi Tony,
I used fuel injection rated rubber hose from my rail pressure regulator to a bulkhead fitting on the fire wall. I then put a fire proof sleeve on the hose. I have about half a loop of slack between the engine and fire wall. This line doesn't run at injection pressure and it just loops back to the head tank in my case. No issues thus far. I'd stay away from hard piping it in.
This is on an SDS system on my CH701. My RV9A uses the Eagle EFI.
Regards
Cam
C-FTLL RV9A IO360
C-FCAM CH701 Ram SOOB

My fuel lines are the carbon impregnated PTFE SS and coated type with fire sleeve protection installed, filters, pumps and regulator are on the engine side of the firewall. all components have heat shielding and the two firewall bulkhead fittings are steel. Vacuum lines to pressure regulator and MAPs are also fire sleeved.

Thanks for the responses! I think I'm going to use a stainless teflon lined hose. Just don't like the idea of having an almost straight solid line connecting two things that can move individually... maybe not much but they can. What are others using for filters. Seems to be different ideas as to what is acceptable and what is overkill. Thanks again! I can't post pictures as I have no acct. to post pictures to.

Hi Tony,
I used fuel injection rated rubber hose from my rail pressure regulator to a bulkhead fitting on the fire wall. I then put a fire proof sleeve on the hose. I have about half a loop of slack between the engine and fire wall. This line doesn't run at injection pressure and it just loops back to the head tank in my case. No issues thus far. I'd stay away from hard piping it in.
This is on an SDS system on my CH701. My RV9A uses the Eagle EFI.
Regards
Cam
C-FTLL RV9A IO360
C-FCAM CH701 Ram SOOB

Hi Cam,

Out of curiosity, do you have a preference for either system?

Regards,

Quentin

Either firesleeved teflon, or stainless rigid tube. Will depend on the location of the 2 accessories, and how much bend you need. Rigid tube is less expensive, and in some cases a better choice than hose.

Tom

My fuel lines are the carbon impregnated PTFE SS and coated type with fire sleeve protection installed, filters, pumps and regulator are on the engine side of the firewall. all components have heat shielding and the two firewall bulkhead fittings are steel. Vacuum lines to pressure regulator and MAPs are also fire sleeved.

Brett,
Who made your lines for you?

I am installing the EFII system and I hardpiped the line that went from the fuel regulator to the bulkhead fitting. I used aluminum and firesleeved it. My bulkhead fitting for the supply and return are in the center tunnel area to make a clean installation in the cabin. For the filters I installed the ones that came from the kit and put them on top for ease of maintenance. I still need to fabricate a cover for the fuel assembly.

FP16022017A00016.jpg

FP16022017A00015.jpg

FP08012017A0001D.jpg

A while back someone mentioned hard lines on an A model, in an accident the nose gear could buckle the lower firewall and break those fuel lines......

Here's the example from the Fly EFII installation manual. Looks pretty clean to me.

kTOHpcg.png

I am no expert but I wonder about the routing of the lines on this pressure regulator.

Most regulators that I am familiar with have the return line coming out the bottom (opposite end from the adjustment screw.) Some are a dual port. I.E. one port on the side for the inlet and one for an outlet. Some, like it appears from this photo, only have one port, which is attached to the "run" to the fuel rail, there by maintaining proper pressure to that the main fuel source line.

It would be an error to use the overflow port on the bottom (of most pressure regulators) for anything other than a return line.

Again, I only mention this to suggest the owner of this set up double check this issue. As it appears as though it may not be plumbed appropriately.

May be it is fine.

Charlie Rosenzweig
Longview, Wa.

Here is a photo of the regulator we use on SDS EFI and the line routing. We recommend a braided steel hose between the engine and the regulator. Tom at TS Flightlines can make one of these up for you if you give him dimensions. The connections are AN-6.

Back