What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tape to seal the wing root

AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
At OSH a few years back I spoke with a gentleman there with his -12 who had used tape to seal the wing root like the glider guys do rather than the rubber seals. If the wings are removed infrequently, I can't see a down side. It would save me a lot of time with the Vixen file opening the gap up to 3/16th in order to accommodate the rubber seal. Thoughts?

Jerre

For what its worth...

I decided not to install the rubber along the wing root and have been flying my RV12 for years with no issues.
There is about a 1/8" gap all the way around the wing root.
I have flown other RV12s and I can't tell any difference in wind, noise, speed, etc.

I put rubber channel on the edge of the wing skin. Still looks great after 7 years. You can get it from Aircraft Spruce. The cross section is a U with about 1/2? wide and a 1/16? center gap.

I used rubber C-channel from McMaster on mine. Had to trim it some on the top to accommodate the wing rib, but it works fine. If we ever re-paint I may install foam instead.

I too have not installed the wing root seal. Flying for a year now. If I am ever looking for something to do then maybe I will but......I am retired and have way to much to do. Keep flying!

Lasts about a month of constant flying then the adhesive gets a little tired.
You might try using 3M Primer 94 on the substrate. You apply it, let it dry, then stick on your tape. 3M says:
Promotes adhesion to polyethylene, polypropylene, ABS, PET/PBT blends and other on difficult to stick to substrates
Commonly used for increasing adhesion of film and vinyl graphics in automotive detailing
I used Primer 94 on the ends of my vinyl graphics to keep them from lifting in the air flow.

Back