What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Radio?

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I'll admit it, I'm allergic to Garmin avionics and fully support Dynon. This is my choice so I'll not debate with you or criticize your choice of Garmin.

So, I want to prospect of eventually replacing the Van's required Garmin Com radio in my ELSA with a Dynon product. I've talked to Stein and Dynon about this and realize that the Garmin radio puts out more power when transmitting and may be a better Com radio.

Stein tells me that a few RV-12 builders have replaced the Garmin with a Dynon Com radio. My questions to the group are;

* How is the Dynon radio working out for you in your 12?
* If you have the two EFISs, where did you place the Dynon Com and the required additional intercom?
* Would you do it again?

Your thoughts and experiences are welcome - thank you all.

Dynon Radio

Not directly to your question, but I had a good experience with the Dynon radio in a panel upgrade of my RV6 a couple of years ago. I wired the Dynon radio and the com from a GTN650 through the Dynon intercom, using two switches instead of audio panel. One switch was between the two coms and the other turned the Nav audio from the GTN on and off.

The RV6 is sold but I have thought about adding a second com to the RV12. If I do it, I will try to use the same approach. On the RV6 it was easy with the pure Dynon install. I have not researched how much the Vans proprietary stuff would complicate it.

More to your point, once I learned to use the features I really liked the Dynon radio and how it operated with Skyview.

Garmin (apollo) radios are great, but the Dynon is a Trig box with a Dynon head.

Nothing wrong with TRIG anything as far as I can tell.

I put in a Trig TY91 as second Com in my 12. Works very well. Audio quality is indistinguishable from #1 Com, a GNS420. And plenty of transmit power - called Centre when about 80 miles away and they read me 5?s.

Jack

Back