What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New EFIS out here

spaceman

I'm New Here
Hi guys......want to spread the word on a new program out there for android os called a-efis. Talos avionics in Germany. There is a robotics engineer that has designed a new efis system that works well in experimental aircraft. You can find it over at google play under this name. You can demo it for 3 flights.
I have done two test flights and I am totally impressed. I have the nexus7 and this program replaces 8 different steam gauges. It is a new program and there will be many changes in the near future.
Total cost including buying a new tablet....325 dollars. Compare that to other emergency gyros. Plus, you have a computer to use when done flying. There are posts on you tube of this new program and many more posts are coming.
If anyone wants to see in action email me and I will send test clips.
It's a great program,otherwise I would not endorse ....be advised it is new.

It'll be interesting to see where this type of product goes... is this really "good enough" for mass-market appeal?

Watching...

It'll be interesting to see where this type of product goes... is this really "good enough" for mass-market appeal?

I was thinking along these same lines, but with perhaps a slightly different twist: what do the masses think this is good enough for?

I've been watching this app with great interest. I've tried flying with some earlier, more rudimentary tablet-based flight instruments with the tablet(s) velcroed to the panel, with varying degrees of success. (I made the mistake of posting about these experiments in an aviation forum frequented by the certificated aircraft crowd. Hoo-boy, THAT was a mistake! lol)

IMHO, these apps have the potential to revolutionize our panels in much the same way that tablets have revolutionized navigation. It remains to be seen if they can be made reliable enough for primary usage -- but this app looks VERY promising!

Edit: Here's a link to download the user's guide. This thing ain't no toy!http://talosavionics.com/uploads/3/1/7/0/3170947/a-efis_users_manual.odd

Last edited:
I was thinking along these same lines, but with perhaps a slightly different twist: what do the masses think this is good enough for?

Back-seat instruments for a -4, -8, or -10?

Backup for the backup?

Primary instruments for ultralights?

Back-seat instruments for a -4, -8, or -10?

Backup for the backup?

Primary instruments for ultralights?

We currently use the faux instrument panel in the Garmin Pilot app for our back seat instruments. They are better than nothing, and actually work quite well.

This EFIS is light years ahead of that.

I have been playing around with an "el-cheapo" EFIS for some time now. I call it Kwik EFIS for Android, it works on most of the newer Android devices with adequate sensors and a quick enough processor.

Kwik EFIS
help-fd-rmi-device_sm.png

It is available for free here for anyone that wants to try it:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ninelima/efis/

If anyone would like a version with their plane's V numbers drop me an email with the numbers and I'll see what I can do to add it.

Davie

Last edited:
I've used this app, but I haven't purchased the air data portion. Naviator with SV and an ILevil is really good too. A good engine module and a super-bright tablet are the missing links still.

Backup EFIS

Per your question about the masses. I want this app as backup if I lose my vacumm pump in IMC in my Cherokee. In my production Cherokee if I lose vacumm I lose auto pilot, and attitude indicator. Only thing left to level the wings is Turn Coordinator, and it jumps all over the place.

If an iPAD or DROID app gave me a relatively "reliable" attitude indicator it would be valuable as a backup.

There is an obvious reason why I can not obtain information on the Talos device.
What is it?
No price, only available overseas? (from US that is).
If one is going to tout this wonderful device (I saw it on the internet, it must be real!) how about backing it up with current real info???
I like the concept, but I also like unicorns.

Ed

Here is the Talos Sense which is a stand-alone AHRS box that talks to a tablet:

http://www.talosavionics.com/aeolus-sense/

527 Euro

I suspect we will see more devices like this soon. One day we might bel installing generic displays in our panel and feeding them flight and engine info from dedicated boxes.

Last edited:
I am pleased to announce that Kwik EFIS has been accredited and accepted as Free and Open-Source software (FOSS) by F-Droid.

Thus, the Kwik EFIS package will now also be available from the F-Droid catalogue at:

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=kwik&fdid=player.efis.pfd

The current released version is 2.4. It features the portrait mode and the HITS navigation display.
sm_kwik-efis-hits-below.png

Changelog
=========
2.4 (2014-03-17)
------------------
* Waypoint database cycle 2017-03 (usa.can)
* Change bank/skid correction filter constant
* Add automatic de-clutter to HITS

Users may want to install the F-Droid catalogue application as well. It provides a most excellent Free Software portal similar to the Google Play Store.

F-Droid provide easy access to a variety of great FOSS software and a easy mechanism updating your installed apps.
See: https://f-droid.org/

Last edited:
If you have an iPhone, open the included compass app and push the dot at the bottom to access the next page. Flip the phone on its side and you have a convenient and accurate attitude indicator. Try it out and see what you think. Kudos to Vic Syracuse for showing me this.

I just installed the F-Droid app installer/repository, & found the kwik efis app. But both indicate they 'run at startup'. How do we set them up so they only load when we want to use them? Many android apps are battery hogs when running in the background, & I'd like to avoid that issue.

Thanks,

Charlie

I just installed the F-Droid app installer/repository, & found the kwik efis app. But both indicate they 'run at startup'. How do we set them up so they only load when we want to use them? Many android apps are battery hogs when running in the background, & I'd like to avoid that issue.

Thanks,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

The Kwik EFIS app will not run at startup. You need to start it like any other app and once you exit the app it is gone. No background processes at all.

To be as accurate as possible, the app does however use the maximum performance from the GPS when it is running, there is no way around that.

The to 'run at startup' handler code exist in the program and is therefore reported, but is not used and is disabled in the manifest. The 'run at startup' handler is only used in a dedicated version of Kwik EFIS when it is the only app running on a permanently installed device. Ie Kwik EFIS will start running when the device is powered on.

Last edited:
Good to hear on the 'startup' issue.

BTW, is this a separate app from the original subject of this thread (A-EFIS)? If so, maybe a new thread would be in order, to minimize confusion.

On to comments and more questions....

When I first loaded it on my phone, I still had a couple of red X's on the display. Finally figured out that if you're not moving, it thinks (knows?) something isn't right. :)

What would you consider to be a 'comfortable' level of processing power & gyro/accelerometer quality for smooth, reliable operation? Component ID's are fine, but brand/model of phone or tablet would be even better for the lazy (me) among us. Would a 1st gen Nexus7 be adequate? 2013 version? What about some of the phones that are a few years old, like the Galaxy S4 or similar?

Thanks,

Charlie

If you have an iPhone, open the included compass app and push the dot at the bottom to access the next page. Flip the phone on its side and you have a convenient and accurate attitude indicator. Try it out and see what you think. Kudos to Vic Syracuse for showing me this.

That is amazing! Who knew.....

It would seem that this would lend it easily to pick up the other functions of a back-up.

Thanks,
John

Back