What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel!

Alan Erickson

I haven't seen a panel thread for 8's, so I thought I'd kick 'er off!

Here's my front panel so far; in a few weeks I should be able to update this with a lit picture. Hopefully, only the intended components will produce light... The blank area on the right side is my 'play area' - it's removable, and empty right now - ready for expansion. I'll update my post with knee and arm panels, too - right now I'm adding to them lots of buttons, valves, lights, and things that go beep.

What do your front, knee, arm, and miscellaneous panels look like?

Panel

Here is my panel:
Garmin GNS-430, GTX-327
Grabd Rapids Dual EFIS and EIS-4000
TruTrak Digiflight IIVSG

It all works and each item communicates properly...in the garage

Cheers
FM

FM's second try on the panel

Here is the link
cimg22122qc.jpg

Panels

You guys are really doing some great work on your panels. Here's Paul Dye's, in case you have not seen it:

Click on the picture for more details.

Now Jeff, you're going to continue the stereotype of southerners who work (and fly?) barefooted.... :rolleyes:

Larry,

I really like the shade of gray you used on your panel. What paint did you use?

Thanks,

Dave

Paint Scheme

Larry - I couldn't find a graphic of your paint scheme on your website. Do you have it up yet, or are you waiting for the baby to come out of the paint shop? BTW, you really made the upper gear intersection fairings sound easy!

barefoot'n it

But Paul, when I moved down here I just remembered that saying "When in the south, do as the...." oh wait, wrong one. :D

Actually I do usually fly barefoot, most of my shoes are too wide and get stuck between the flanges of the rudder pedals. Darn fat feet!

Thermos said:
Larry,

I really like the shade of gray you used on your panel. What paint did you use?

Thanks,

Dave

Rustoleum Hard Hat, "Dark Machine Grey" in the rattle can. Not bullet-proof, but it's holding up well and I still like the color. I used Light Machine Grey in the baggage compartments. I'd do it again the same way.

rv8ch said:
Larry - I couldn't find a graphic of your paint scheme on your website. Do you have it up yet, or are you waiting for the baby to come out of the paint shop? BTW, you really made the upper gear intersection fairings sound easy!

I have my pencil doodlings of the scheme on my desk, but haven't scanned them in yet. It's on my list. Stay tuned! :D

Be Careful Larry!

I think Mickey is trying to steal all of our paint scheme ideas... :eek:

I'm keeping mine hidden too...! :p

Paul

Paint schemes

Ironflight said:
I think Mickey is trying to steal all of our paint scheme ideas... :eek:

I'm keeping mine hidden too...! :p
Paul, you can't hide it forever! :)

Austraila

Hey,

I am on my way to Sydney, Melbourne and points west if time permits. I am building an RV 8 and would love to hook up with some one down under who is doing the same or a Vans design.
If any one interested in meeting us-wife - please send info.
Thanks,
Ed Clegg
[email protected]

Here's a shot of my pretty basic VFR panel. Lots of real estate left for future add-ons.

64644247fu.jpg

Note that everything on the panel is connected to the rest of the electrical system by just wires. So I put in a big loop of extra wire so the whole panel can be dropped and rotated forward. This way I can get to the back side of everything on the panel and everything on the bulkhead behind it (without laying on my back and working upside down).

64644154ni.jpg

John Miller

pull out panel

John,

Great idea on the swing down panel. I would be interested in learning more about how you did that. What modifications did you need to make? Does it hinge at the bottom?

It would be great if you could post more pics of that installation.

Australia

G'day Ed,

Let me know your itinerary and timings and I'll see what RV-related things I can help out with...

Cheers

Martin in Oz
(sorry - not panel related )

Hey,

I am on my way to Sydney, Melbourne and points west if time permits. I am building an RV 8 and would love to hook up with some one down under who is doing the same or a Vans design.
If any one interested in meeting us-wife - please send info.
Thanks,
Ed Clegg
[email protected][/QUOTE]

Tony:

Sorry I don't have any more pictures. No, it is not hinged. Note that if you have a more-or-less standard depth radio tray located anywhere other than the extreme bottom of your panel, a bottom hinge would not allow the tray to clear the top of the panel flange to rotate forward.

The main panel overlaps the panel flange about 3/4 in on the bottom so I just drilled a #12 hole in assembly through the overlap. I have a short (approx 5 in.) piece of cord with a washer and knot at each end on each side to act as a stop/hanger. When you unscrew the panel you simple drop it down till it extends the cords to the stops. I just leave the cords in place, but you could take them out if you wanted. I also built a small loop of safety wire into the top of the roll bar to have something to attach another piece of cord to support the upper side of the panel when it is dropped/rotated.

I also built a hanger into the turtledeck so I would have something to support the loop of wire when the panel is in place. Otherwise it would hang down a little below the bottom of the panel. The loop is secured to this hanger by a tie wrap which must be snipped when you want to drop the panel; you could access this by (groan) laying on your back and working overhead. But I have a small access plate in the 866 bulkhead (on which my encoder is attached - easy to get at for the biannual adjustment) that allows access through the baggage compartment.

Glad you like my idea. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

John Miller

panel pic

here is a pic of my updated panel - a very inexpensive and simple panel. Very clean and functional. This is the 3rd retro fit since purchasing the aircraft from the builder. It should be the last - for a while...

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

RV-8 Panel

Here's my RV-8 panel. I'm a believer in the traditional Basic "T" layout that the OEM's have used for decades. No fancy EFIS or video game screens to watch. Just the basic information you need for VFR cross-country and sport plane flying. With the RVs wonderful field of view who wants to be looking at a screen anyway.

n898dkpanel6qu.jpg

The gyros are electric, so I have no vacuum system. That way you can turn the juice off and do aerobatics without tumbling the gyros. The EI stack at right gives everything you need for engine management. I really like these. They are simple and reliable. The GPS/Com is Garmin 250XL. I wish it were a little higher on the panel for easier viewing but that's a minor complaint. So far I've been to Oshkosh, LOE, and Wichita, KS from Dallas. The only thing on my wish list is for a color moving map with weather overlay. Other than that I'll let others spend huge sums on the latest gadgets while I just fly.

Chris Pratt
N898DK
Dallas, TX
Based at KADS

Last edited:
Show us the BACK of your panel!

OK, those are some beautiful panels. They are a work of art! But I know some of you have done just as great of a job on the other side of the panel (i.e. some nice wiring practices and pretty bundles). How about showing us some more of your art work? A behind the scenes if you will?

Jerry

OK, Have a look....

Of course, one thing I found out as I was building was that the closer I got to finishing, the less often I picked up the camera! Hence, I have very few pictures of anything between the 90% and "complete" phase. Here is a picture of the backside after the electrical and electronics were all wired and working. Pitot/static lines aren't plumbed, and the final lacing wasn't in place. All the extra wire is for service loops so I can pull the panel into my lap and disconnect everything.

behindinstpanel2ko.jpg

And as a bonus, here is the backside of my electrical power distribution and control panel - again, only about 90% finished - didn't have the overvoltage circuits and a few other little things (like bus bar insulation) installed at the time. Wasn't ready for final close-out, so everyone can assume that any problems you see got fixed! :rolleyes:

epdcpanel7nx.jpg

Paul

Back of panel During Buildup

Here is a photo of the back of my incomplete panel as it was being built up in my homemade "skid" fixture.

Bob Axsom

backofpanel9fl.jpg

Bob-

It looks like you made the sides of your avionics rack from sheet instead of angle?
Looks pretty sturdy.

I used angles at the panel

I mounted angles on the panel and the sheet metal is included in the design to provide support for the cantilevered trays. There are some thermal properties as well as strength and wire termination stability but certainly no text book was followed to get the configuration I have. I have an avionics fan (box) back behind the panel on the passenger side that comes on with the avionics master.

Bob Axsom

OK. I'm impressed! Now this gives me the to shoot for as I create my work of art behind the panel. Thanks for the pictures.

Jerry

Wiring labels (cheaply)

I stumbled on this from the AE list. Thought I'd share it here. If looking to do quality wiring labels and you are tired of the print on your printer, cut out, and shrink under clear heatshrink. Cut some of the steps out...

Dymo makes and industrial version of a labeler that prints directly on heatshrink. The RhinoPro versions

http://global.dymo.com/enUS/Categories/RhinoPRO_Printers.html

The 5000, for example, prints on .25 - 1" in all flavors including heatshrink. The cartridges run at about $15-25

Panel Picture

Sorry about the picture quality. Let me know if you would like any information on the panel.

Jay Martin
N616LM
First Flight - 2/23/06
4.2 Hours
dsc005070fk.jpg

I must say, I am jealous of the space an -8 gets for the panel. While it's smaller area than the -7a, I feel you can make a much cleaner layout since you can put the EFIS screens in the center with supporting guages around it. Very nice.

DeltaRomeo said:
Took this at LOE '05. Click on thumbnail for 1700-pixel-wide version.

Best,

Anyone know who's panel this is ? Or who built it.. I want to create the same modification of the armrests. I'd like to know what difficulties (if any) for having to order longer control cables, etc. The N-number on the right side is partially blocked but looks like 444 something. Would be great if I could talk with the builder about it.

N444tx?

Wicked Stick said:
Anyone know who's panel this is ? Or who built it.. I want to create the same modification of the armrests. I'd like to know what difficulties (if any) for having to order longer control cables, etc. The N-number on the right side is partially blocked but looks like 444 something. Would be great if I could talk with the builder about it.
Could it be N444TX?

first panel lightup!!!!

First light on my panel this afternoon!

Woo hoo hooooooo!!! Everything's working so far (which just means I haven't found the gremlins yet!). Tomorrow I've gotta make a 30-foot-long coax extension so I can test comm/nav/gps.

HUGE grin goin' on here! (shortly to have a rum & coke dumped into it).

Congrats Alan! It's great when everything lights up and none of the magic smoke ecapes!What goes in the big square opening?

Paul

The panel and consoles are indeed from N444TX.
I also copied them and moved my quadrant back. As a result, I could only use one of the VAN's cables, for the prop control. The other two I had to have custom made; however, I went to a local shop that makes automotive and industrial cables and they made them to my specifications the same day. About $32 each. The only difference is that they are black instead of green, as in VAN's cables.
Making consoles like these is very labor intensive, and as in any other change creates a domino effect of things to do. But, the end effect was worth it to me.

map table

fodrv7 said:
Alan, How about some more details of your slide out shelf. Pete.
Howdy, Pete! I used a drawer slide, McMaster-Carr part number 1265A22. The back of the slide bolts to the aft wall of the fwd baggage compartment (the slide has a tang with bolt holes; see McMaster's diagram). The front bottom of the slide bolts into the faceplate I made. The faceplate bolts to the bottom of the main panel with some 4-40's. The shelf is just .063 flush-riveted to the inner slide. The slide is made so you can just pull the shelf off and shove it on when you need to, but the friction is high enough that it won't happen by accident. The whole thing is amazingly stable -- more so than I thought it would have been -- and very smooth; you can rest the full weight of your arm on it while writing and it hardly budges. I plan to add a detent (e.g. McMaster-Carr 3408A91) to keep it in the desired position. The vertical opening width in my design is pretty limited - less than 0.75" - in order to allow the faceplate to clear both the stick and my right knee with plenty of margin, but it's enough to hold a [well-folded] chart or a notepad. I'll prolly add a clip and/or plexi faceplate at some point, but I figger I might as well fly it before I start making mods. There's a gooseneck light on the right rollbar web that specifically lights the shelf with a white LED; it's on my map lighting dimmer circuit.

Ironflight said:
Congrats Alan! It's great when everything lights up and none of the magic smoke ecapes!What goes in the big square opening? Paul
Thanks, Paul! The big opening is future play area: uncommitted at this point. If I decide to experiment with some ideas I've been having, it'll get a little single-board-computer and an LCD screen...or maybe I'll chill out, enjoy my airplane, and just hang a nice pic of my girlfriend there!

Oh, and that can't be a bunch of messy wires back behind there - must be image compression artifacts. ;) Actually, my messy wiring will be a show-your-dirty-laundry thread I plan to start in a week or two...and it's partly your fault, Paul, for having such a gorgeous wiring standard to live up to!

Back