What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust clearance with bottom of fuselage

Robert M

Well Known Member
Hi guys and gals.

I have just installed the tailpipes on my O-320. I was hoping that I could get some advise on what kind of clearance I should have between the tailpipes and the bottom of the fuselage. I have included a link that shows the clearance - about 3/8".

You can start with that. Once you start your engine, things will move around a bit and you can make adjustments to your exhaust hangars then.

3/8" seems like it is close but in reality it works. Like everything else on the plane check it frequently during the first hours of operation bu I think you will find it is plenty. Well maybe not plenty but enough.

Exhaust clearance

Looks about right. In your early flight hours, you'll likely have to tinker with it 'till it settles in. Early on, keep an eye on potential exhaust rub(contact) points, check the tightness of all of the clamps, flex joints, etc.

Jim Diehl 7A

Looks about right. In your early flight hours, you'll likely have to tinker with it 'till it settles in. Early on, keep an eye on potential exhaust rub(contact) points, check the tightness of all of the clamps, flex joints, etc.

Jim Diehl 7A

ditto. these have been hanging untouched for 500+ hrs. you can see a slight paint chip on the RHS above the exhaust. not sure how I got that. I put a small flare on the ends of the hanger rods that fit in to the hose and then clamped.

DSCN1164_zpsv1y3b5dw.jpg

DSCN1171_zpsxcq4vmto.jpg

Last edited:
Exhaust clearance

In looking at your picture, you need to rotate your pipes for more turndown, minimum of 25 degrees to bottom skin. Steve Melrons picture should give you a good reference as they are correct. Also the distance at the top is too close about 3/4 inch as they will tend to ride up at cruise.

nice to get a post from the Vetterman guys on this. consider yourself in the elite. what a great product they made.

Back