What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What problems has anyone had lately with the Rotax 912ULS

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
Any Mx issues on the -12 installation to look for. Also, any condition inspection items to look at?

Glad you asked that question!

With 500 hours on the engine I have replaced 2 old type fuel pumps. Now have the new type, so far it seems to be working fine. One of my carb floats stopped floating:p so I replaced with new one. Other than that everything has been working great. I really like the engine so far. However if my engine fell into the serial number group with the crank shaft SB then I would not be a happy guy.:mad:
Things I like about the engine.
Sips fuel.
Power to weight ratio, 100 hp, out the crate weight 122lbs.
No magnetos.
Auto spark plugs.
50 hour oil change.
Runs on unleaded gas even with ethanol.:eek:
Starts super easy.
Really like the web site with all the great info including the videos for do-it-yourself types like me:D
Feel free to add to this list!:rolleyes:

That being said I think Rotax should, for free of charge, fix all the engines that fall into the SB. All engines have occasional SBs. It a part of life. Doesn't seem one is any better that the other one. The RV12 was designed around the Rotax. Adding a heavier engine will change the aerodynamics of the airplane. I'm conservative and don't want to be a test pilot so I'm sticking with the stock setup.:) I think that's why the RV12 has been so successful. I would say less than 1% have a different type of engine on it.
Pardon me while I rant a little
The RV12 kit was released for sale in April 2008. Almost 800 serial numbers having been sold. We are getting close to 300 completed flying RV12s in 5 years. A long life span was considered durning its design as well as a perfect harmony in over flight characteristics and performance for the average pilot. Although it can be built as an EAB it really wasn't designed to be built far from its original plans. So when changing to an alternate engine consider the weight you will be adding to the nose and how that will effect the flying characteristics of it. Will you do spin tests with this heavier engine? Also consider there would be nothing worse than the 1000 hours of you personal labor sitting all bent to heck in the corn field at the end of the runway not to mention your personal well being as you exit the plane in that field. This all being said we are taking about an experimental airplane here so if you have the experience and support network to change to something different safely then good luck in your endeavor.:D

Any Mx issues on the -12 installation to look for. Also, any condition inspection items to look at?

Recently, while performing the ignition check during run-up, the engine quit when I switched off the right ignition. I immediately switched it back on to keep the engine from shutting off. I immediately re-performed the run-up which was fine. I performed several subsequent run-ups that were fine. Approx. 1 week ago I noticed for the first time ever, a rough running ign. check, that again cleared itself on the next attempt. I am going to discuss this with Lockwood's today, but I am suspecting ignition module(s). Anyone else experience this?:confused:

Yes Dave - -

I reported some time back that both my ign modules failed between 400 - 500 hours. ROTAX has a program for buying a pair at less than the normal cost for one. I assume they still have it. Check with any of the main centers. I got mine thru Lockwood. They did tell me that they did not advertise it, but it was available. The new ones have soft-start also, so for us early builders, it was an improvement. No idea if they actually improved the modules, or just offered at lower price. I said at the time that everyone should be aware of this issue. I can go back and find the thread if anyone is interested.

With over 200 hours on EN1 (first plane built by kids in a High School) we have had a couple broken exhaust springs. As a trainer it gets some pretty hard use. We didn't have idle set right at first (our problem, not Rotax) and it would die in flair if pulled all the way back. I suppose that could be a bit disconcerting on a first solo! Pretty easy fix, and a great engine. Starts/runs fine and is a pleasure to fly.

Bob

Mine quit on the second landing! But, I restarted it during the rollout and taxied back to the hangar. With Tony T's help, we reset the Idle speed (set way too low), and no problems since.

Actually, didn't scare me at all - figured I was landing anyway. Was glad I didn't have to call anybody for a tow in.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Jim,
You really should let this go.

With all of the time I have spent communicating with the North America Rotax distributor on your behalf (Kodiak), it stands to reason that they would have had a sit down with Van's Aircraft to suggest some changes, or at the very least, suggested to me in those communications that your climb RPM could have been the cause.

Instead they were adamant that your purposed cause is not what caused the failure.

What really did?

We will probably never know since you submitted a partially disassembled engine to CPS for inspection.
Since the entire induction system (carb's, intake manifolds, etc.) had already been removed and weren't provide for inspection it wasn't possible for Brian to to do a full inspection and determine what the cause might have been.

As is often the case, there is more to this store than has been made public, but it is not appropriate for me to be the one to do so........

Back