What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 SB-18-02-03 Anti-Servo Tab Cracks

If I?m reading the service bulletin correctly, it?s interesting that doublers are only required if the AST skin is cracked. If the skin isn?t cracked, it looks like the HS-1230 replacement ribs will add enough strength to prevent cracks from forming in uncracked skins.

Sigh... another SB or two and my hopes of a quick condition inspection this year will be fading. At least we'll have the whole stabilator assembly on the bench anyway.

</grump>

Unfortunately, far from lowering the cost of flying, the RV12 has turned into a bag of worms.

I don't think it's anywhere near a bag of worms. My cost of flying is very low. I love it and I'm sure not complaining ...

Unfortunately, far from lowering the cost of flying, the RV12 has turned into a bag of worms.

A bag of worms?? That's a bit harsh, and I don't think the cost of a few upgrade parts to fix or prevent problems that generally come to light as the result of real-world experience counts for much in the scheme of things. Computers can only get you so far, and I'm very pleased that Vans make these changes as needed.

I don't think it's anywhere near a bag of worms. My cost of flying is very low. I love it and I'm sure not complaining ...

Could not agree more.....hey, it is a super lite built airplane. I?m just glad Van?s provides the builder support that he does. AND...what else would you do with your time. Documentation to show wife?s why we have to hang out @ our hangars.

Labor intensive SBs are always frustrating, but it?s still a great airplane and my all up costs are a third of my Cherokee 180 hourly cost. I?ve fortunately dodged some expensive ADs on my Cherokee over the years (usually engine related) so this is nothing unique to the RV-12.

I'm thankful

I am thankful that the people at Van's are proactive as to bettering the RV-12. Makes my finished airplane safer. This airplane design is still maturing and I think that the low number of SBs reflects the overall excellence of the design.

I'm glad that Van's takes corrective action as soon as a problem with the 12 is found. Thanks to Van's - this customer service is outstanding and backed by an American company that does it right. :cool:

Don't get me wrong, I also appreciate the amount of time and effort Van's is investing to make sure the RV-12 is a solid long term airframe. Improvements have been continual, and as potential weak or trouble spots are found they're corrected.

I suspect the 12 is unique in the number of flying examples Van's sees on a regular basis, so they're able to see and track maintenance and repair issues on a small fleet flown by pilots of all experience levels - including flight schools. That will certainly find anything that wasn't designed to Russian military standards.

I'm just glad we'll be able to get all of the stabilator checks and modifications done at the same time.

Back