What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-3!!!

Where is Junior?

Waiting for photos
toetap05.gif

[ed. Standby one (actually a few hours). I can neither confirm nor deny they exist. dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
RV-3B. 150 hp O-320, GR EIS, TruTrack AP, and two 7.62mm machine gun with 250 rounds each. ;) She is relatively new to me and I am having an absolute blast with her!

2012_05_31_Daisy_800.jpg

I've starting posting some in-flight videos on my blog. I'm far from a pro but some of you may enjoy them.

Tsamsiyu

I guess we might as well put one shot of "Tsamsiyu" here in this thread to kep all the Rv-3 pictures together.....

P1000686.JPG

Came out of GLO Custom paint on 5/23/2012 - artwork/airbrush by Scott "Shark" Draper.

RV-3B N313RV

RV-3B N313RV now for sale. O320 Aerosport 160HP plasma 3 Cato 3 blade trutrak AP and more.

34igt2v.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Front qtr

Walter Mitty is having a field day....
Paint Scheme is similar to the 361st Fighter Group. (Eighth Air Force in Europe)

Last edited:
N833RV RV3

I purchased this RV3 N833RV sn 11302 in November 2013. Now that I have 25 or so hours, I am begginning to really enjoy this toy. She's kept at 7B3 in ,NH. A 2100 foot grass strip. She has 108 hours tt since new. All wing mods completed and just yesterday finished the first Annual Condition inspection of my ownership. Winter is a nice time in New Hampshire to do this. She has a slightly high 884# empty weight, but she sure can fly.:)

2nriosy.jpg

Bart,
Welcome to the Good Ship VAF! We're happy to have you here with us.

I've seen your 3 before...a former owner was nice enough to send me a bunch of pics when he put it up for sale. It's a sweet machine, and one of the nicest 3's I've seen out there. Have fun and enjoy it immensely!

Bart,
Welcome to the Good Ship VAF! We're happy to have you here with us.

I've seen your 3 before...a former owner was nice enough to send me a bunch of pics when he put it up for sale. It's a sweet machine, and one of the nicest 3's I've seen out there. Have fun and enjoy it immensely!

Thanks Mike,
All the RV guys(4) here at 7B3 agree that the build is exemplary. Now if it would only stop snowing, freezing, raining, fog and muddy runway....
Bart

Bart - great to have another RV at Hampton! I miss that field, the Aversanos and the diner. I manage to drop in a couple time a year. I hope to se your RV-3 in person in 2014. Congratulations!

Bart - great to have another RV at Hampton! I miss that field, the Aversanos and the diner. I manage to drop in a couple time a year. I hope to se your RV-3 in person in 2014. Congratulations!

Glen,
Hampton Airfield will be undergoing a really neat transformation this year. The West side of the 250' wide turf runway will be paved in April, and the east side will be regraded, new soil and turf. The field will most likely be closed during the excavations.

RV-3A

Bart, this is Jim Cash, the first owner to actually fly N833RV. The airplane has quite a history. Call me sometimes at (406) 837-1001, and I will give you all the facts. Jim

Hi Bart---love your RV-3---My RV-8 is with me in FL. so I have hangar space available at PEASE(KPSM) if you`re interested----cell is 603-205-4727 or386-767-5866---John Fleurent

Bart, this is Jim Cash, the first owner to actually fly N833RV. The airplane has quite a history. Call me sometimes at (406) 837-1001, and I will give you all the facts. Jim

Jim,
Thanks. I received a summary email from you last month. I have been doing quite a bit of digging and doing things. First off, I tried to cage the attitude gyro. Oops. Non caging. Cracked the glass. New gyro. Then I modified the cowl to get at the oil drain without removing prop and cowl. Cut a 4x3 hole, backed with an aluminum backer. Flush rivets, then simple speed nuts. Really slick. I dumped the David Clark's and purchased Clarity Aloft. Sooooo nice. A new weight and balance showed a 50 pound weight gain from the first certifications.
Paint? Avionics, new Catto Prop? Now I think to buy a ligh weight tail wheel.

It's been an awesome plane.

So Glen,
Happened to see the Photo of your RV8 in the 2014 calendar.
Nice PinUp!!!
Bart

RV-3A SN 10934 About Finished

Here is a shot of the RV-3A that I've been restoring for the past 1.5 yrs. When it flies, it will be some 12+ years since it last did that, so hopefully it hasn't developed any bad habits in the inter-rim. Alot has gone into this project to include an engine (O-290G) tear down, carb overhaul and mag 500 hr. inspection, add carb intake snout (RV-4) and filter, carb and cabin heat, redo the electrical per Bob Nuckols ideas, remove and discard the 8 lb "remote indicating compass", add an old Garmin GPS and NARCO transponder and encoder, Ray Allen electric elev. trim, Odessy battery, skybolt fastners on top of cowling, etc, etc, etc. Also ended up building a new vertical stab. due to cracks and wallowed out holes in the old one that had been repaired via stop drilling and slapping another piece of alumimun over it. Anyway, some 350+ hours of work later, it finally is about good enough to call an airplane again and it hopefully will be a reliable platform to start doing some cross-countries in!

Blue Skies,

Doug

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyawl73fhk5w2i4/RV-3 Cowling on.jpg

RV-3A Flying

I have been trying to fly my "restored" RV-3A as much as possible over the past month as work and life has allowed. So far I have been able to fly it 9.9 hrs. and 9 times, and I can say that it really is a fun & efficient a/c to operate! After the first three flights the oil temps dropped by 20 degrees, so I think the rings have pretty much seated in, and I therefore have started to cruise it at lower rpms to see what kind of fuel economy I can expect. Flying it 2300-2350 rpm yields a TAS of 142-148 mph with a fuel burn of 4.5-4.9 gph...so not bad, and very comparable to my '95 Camry in mpg.

I have been working on "wheel" landings and still don't have the perfect blend of speed, site picture, etc. to grease them everytime, but progress is being made so that is good. Takeoffs for me are the highlight of the mission since best angle of climb consistently results in reaching pattern altitude prior to rolling out on the downwind leg, and I hadn't done that in any other a/c except my buddie's RV-4 w/200 hp. In level flight it will rap up to 2700 rpm in level flight and my O-290 book recommends a max continuous of 2600 rpm, so eventually I may try and switch to a prop with a bit more pitch which will drop the rpm's a bit, and increase the cruise speed some more. The last flight showed an oil burn of 1 qt. in 3.4 hrs., so I'm hopefull that will keep improving over time...TBD.

Anyway, jumping in it and going on short 1 hr. cross-countries to local burger burns and fly-ins is great fun after so many years of begging rides from my buddies. Fly safe,

Doug Lomheim RV-3A (Flying)

P.S. This picture was taken on a short cross-country I did this past Tuesday to Okmulgee, OK which is only 77 miles away. On a prior trip there was an old Grumman Albatross on the ramp and I wanted to see if it was still there...it was.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/34wvhf3m3asx6v1/Okmulgee Fuel Stop.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tfy2kq151l66js/Old Albatross.jpg

Last edited:
All,

I'm in the process of re-attaching my engine to a new mount. The engine is an O-290g, and I am having problems finding the torque values for the 4 mount attach bolts. Could anyone assist?

Thanks!
Splinter

Splinter;
I noticed this post is a little old, but I can help a little.
O-290G engines don't have regular engine mounts. They have straight thru holes at the location of 'conical' type mounts.
O-290 conversions are not all the same. My Thorp T-18 retains the original bolt hole mounts, but is attached to a special John Thorp designed plate that has Dynafocal elements.
Other conversions mill the conical shape into the engine mount castings.
Quality can vary from excellent to rough.
Here is a link from the Piper forum that might help:
http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/showthread.php?4892-Conical-Lycoming-Rubbers

Last edited:
RV-3A - the PH-URZ - being put to bed

Hi Folks,

long time no post. I thought I put a more recent pic of the -3 in, taken by Daniel Br?ssow:

no9icz.jpg

The -3 which I imported some 2 years ago is doing good (see pic).

As I am only flying some 25-30 hrs p.a. I have got a real great partner in. May I introduce Daniel: a young bloke mid 20ies and former RC model guy with some prices won on the European Championship level.

He started flying ?real planes? from scratch some two and a half years ago and we got him to fly the -3 some 2 weeks ago after some 60 hrs total time. Back in November 2012 he was sneeking around the -3 and it become obvious this lad wants to get somewhere. It popped up in my mind: why not offer him a partnership and get him to fly the -3 as he is such an eager young guy.

So Wolfgang (-8) took him with him on pretty much every occasion and Daniel started to learn flying with the rudders on his feet on a Touring Motor Glider (Grob G109). After having obtained his license on the TMG he got his SEP on a nose gear plane (you?ll never know for what this might be good for ...) and logged some 3 hrs on the Citabria.

Wolfgang and me gave him a thorough ?ground course? and off he went to fly the -3.

Daniel after his 5th and final landing on the day of transition:

dr2hso.jpg

All went well as you can see and he is now building up confidence (there were some ?oops? landings later but he is back on track now ... the last one I witnessed was a real 3-point greaser on the concrete RWY and Daniel, being him, had still some remarks on how he could do better!!). We will further improve the look/finish of the -3 (as Smokey suggested at the time of pre-buy).

Daniel knows what to do ... and he is fully on it!!

Best, Heinz
P.S. I don?t want to put some feathers in my ... here but I think the RV community provided some good help to get a young and eager guy into such a plane: Daniel, well done and big thanks to all involved!!

Last edited:
Shipchief,

Thanks for the reply. You're correct, I have straight through holes, they line up nicely with the new mount I bought via Vans. Still looking for spec torque though.

Cheers,
Splinter

Splinter;
I noticed this post is a little old, but I can help a little.
O-290G engines don't have regular engine mounts. They have straight thru holes at the location of 'conical' type mounts.
O-290 conversions are not all the same. My Thorp T-18 retains the original bolt hole mounts, but is attached to a special John Thorp designed plate that has Dynafocal elements.
Other conversions mill the conical shape into the engine mount castings.
Quality can vary from excellent to rough.
Here is a link from the Piper forum that might help:
http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/showthread.php?4892-Conical-Lycoming-Rubbers

Hi Folks,

long time no post. I thought I put a more recent pic of the -3 in, taken by Daniel Br?ssow:

no9icz.jpg

The -3 which I imported some 2 years ago is doing good (see pic).

As I am only flying some 25-30 hrs p.a. I have got a real great partner in. May I introduce Daniel: a young bloke mid 20ies and former RC model guy with some prices won on the European Championship level.

He started flying ?real planes? from scratch some two and a half years ago and we got him to fly the -3 some 2 weeks ago after some 60 hrs total time. Back in November 2012 he was sneeking around the -3 and it become obvious this lad wants to get somewhere. It popped up in my mind: why not offer him a partnership and get him to fly the -3 as he is such an eager young guy.

So Wolfgang (-8) took him with him on pretty much every occasion and Daniel started to learn flying with the rudders on his feet on a Touring Motor Glider (Grob G109). After having obtained his license on the TMG he got his SEP on a nose gear plane (you?ll never know for what this might be good for ...) and logged some 3 hrs on the Citabria.

Wolfgang and me gave him a thorough ?ground course? and off he went to fly the -3.

Daniel after his 5th and final landing on the day of transition:

dr2hso.jpg

All went well as you can see and he is now building up confidence (there were some ?oops? landings later but he is back on track now ... the last one I witnessed was a real 3-point greaser on the concrete RWY and Daniel, being him, had still some remarks on how he could do better!!). We will further improve the look/finish of the -3 (as Smokey suggested at the time of pre-buy).

Daniel knows what to do ... and he is fully on it!!

Best, Heinz
P.S. I don?t want to put some feathers in my ... here but I think the RV community provided some good help to get a young and eager guy into such a plane: Daniel, well done and big thanks to all involved!!

Beautiful paint! Do you any pictures showing the side profile?

This is N12JV after a year long restoration. Factory B wing, O290D2 and a smoke system! Tons of fun. Here it is on a 1900ft one way farm strip.

Last edited:
This thread is getting a bit stale so I figured I?d bring it back to life.

I didn?t build it, but after more than 20 years, it?s still darned purdy!

This was taken near Glenwood Springs, CO approximately a month ago.

N87CTsmall.jpg

This is the RV3 that Van?s uses for the RV3 section of its website. Many folks have seen it, but don?t realize it. I?m very lucky to own it!

It?s fun to sit here at the airport lunch counter and watch folks drool over it as they walk by. It really is an exceptional plane!

Rob, that is quite a plane. I miss seeing it in my friends hangar! Im sure you saw his 6 when you were there. It is just as nice!! Have fun. I miss Glenwood Springs Hot Springs pool!

Hey Rob,
Good to see you have kept the plane way from your father and are still enjoying it!

Scott A Jordan

Rob,

Yup. I always did love the way you painted your 3. Glad to see you're still enjoying it. Have you landing at any interesting strips lately. I seem to remember you flying it into a fairly "rustic" fly in, no?

Time flies when you're having fun! Hopefully I'll see some of the old KPTW gang at oshkosh this year.

RV-3 in OZ

Steve?s RV first flew a little while back.
It is now ?Finished? with all testing done plus wheel pants and gear legs!
Looks great now.

n49lph.jpg

Rv3B in oz

Hi this is Steve from Cobram Aus.
Thank you Richard for posting this photo. I haven?t worked out how to do that.
I have flown 50 hours now and still learning. Before the rv3 l had done about 1500 hours in my Jabiru. This rv is no Jabiru. It is fitted with a io320 , duel pmags and a GA whirlwind prop. Empty weight or 820 lbs.
I often see 3000 FPM on climb out. I can cruise LOP at 160 kts burning 22 litres. Happy with that.
It has taken some time to master the landing and wheeling seems to suit me fine. I do fly from a 400 metre strip.

Steve Lenne
Rv3b. F

Back