What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Perry Hill Automobile Company

Roy Thoma

Well Known Member
I expect that most readers of VAF know DanH. You may not know that he own and operates a used automobile dealership: Perry Hill Automobile Company. http://www.perryhillauto.com/index.shtml

We needed a tow vehicle to tow our Airstream. We wanted a van rather than a pickup. Almost bought a Nissan NV3500 with a tall roof (probably one of the ugliest vans available.) When I asked DanH about the NV3500, he recommended a Chevy/GMC long wheelbase van with the 6.6L Duramax diesel. I started looking on retail sites and Dan started searching auctions.

The van I wanted is almost as rare as hens teeth. I've seen three of them in the past 6 months including the one we bought and one we test drove in Lincoln NE. After about 2 months of searching I found a low mileage, 2011 Chevy Express, long wheelbase with the 6.6L diesel and bought it. The catch is the van was at a dealer in Fla, about as far from Portland as possible and still be in the continental US.

Dan flew his RV to Fla with a driver, inspected the van, finalized the deal and his driver drove it back to Perry Hill Automotive in Montgomery AL. Finalizing the deal included getting $100's back for the check engine light being on and for some small undisclosed body damage. It took about 2 months for me to fly to Atlanta on a commercial flight, Dan picked my up in his RV from a nearby GA airport and took me to Montgomery. During the two months, Dan had the body work done. He also found that the check engine light was covered under warranty and had that taken care of. I drove the van 2600+ miles to Hillsboro and got 18+ mpg!

Dan and Patti were VERY helpful. I would not hesitate to buy another "truck" from Perry Hill Automotive and would recommend them to my friends!

(RV related - two references to Dan flying his RV!)

Regards,

I would not......

I would not buy a single car from this Horton fellow! Actually my family has bought 3!!

Best car buying experience ever - play your cards right and you get to have a nice BBQ lunch with Dan and Patti, too!

Just Plane good people!

Curious

Mike,

Just curious here.....have you ever met Dan, had any interaction with him or his family, or is this just an opinion expressed from reading the forums? Again, just curious.

This is slightly off topic, but has GMC fixed the bad paint issue on their vans? Here in California the GMC and Chevy vans have had a paint peeling problem over the last few years. I'm in the market for a new van and also torn between the Nissan, GMC and Ford, but the paint problem was a big turn off.

To keep this RV related, I'm a plumbing contractor and use the income from my business to buy 100LL for our RV-10! ;-)

-Marc
(Long distance plumbing and heating for D/R)

This is slightly off topic, but has GMC fixed the bad paint issue on their vans?
To keep this RV related, I'm a plumbing contractor and use the income from my business to buy 100LL for our RV-10! ;-)
-Marc
(Long distance plumbing and heating for D/R)

All I can say for sure is that right now I'm not painting any 2014 or newer vans. Don't know if that's due to a process change, or just lack of age. It is routine to send 2011's and older to the paint shop, all colors, although white is the worst.

All I can say for sure is that right now I'm not painting any 2014 or newer vans. Don't know if that's due to a process change, or just lack of age. It is routine to send 2011's and older to the paint shop, all colors, although white is the worst.

I used my 2003 White GMC Sonoma (I am the original owner) to move my RV parts into my hangar. The 14-year old white paint still looks like new. Vehicle was purchased and registered in Kalifornia before moving / registering in PA then NC. Yes 2 interstate moves for the vehicle and it is my 3rd interstate move.

Should've Known....

....that sometimes it's difficult to see the British humor! My apologies are extended to you, Mike. I was only trying to defend a fellow Alabama neighbor!

Speaking of drinking.... :)

I resemble that comment ;)

I know that the US changing to the metric system is a pipe dream, but a change to 20 oz pints with the line at the top of the glass would be a welcome change.

And to make it RV related...... I do not drink while flying my RV, only afterwards. :D

And to make it RV related......

Not sure why folks think they need to make this RV related--------a few years back, our fearsome leader------DR himself, did a front page report of buying a truck from this same used car pilot fellow...................

If that isn't enough of a RV tie in, I have no idea what is.;)

Back