What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 cockpit size

Capt

Well Known Member
Question for the 4 drivers out there (if they know)
Seeking to find out if the 3 & 4 share the same size cockpit width etc. I've not had the opportunity to sit in a 4 as yet but have done so in a 3, the 3 was tight for my 6ft & 100kg frame. The Van's website doesn't show the 3's cockpits dimensions, well I didn't notice them.
Thanks guys.

They are the same

The top longerons are 24" apart. The four has some flexibility for seat back adjustment and leg room the three does not offer. I feel there is a little more room for knees in the four. I am 6' x 180lb and the tree works for me and expect the four to be a little better.

RV-4 legroom

The top longerons are 24" apart. The four has some flexibility for seat back adjustment and leg room the three does not offer. I feel there is a little more room for knees in the four. I am 6' x 180lb and the tree works for me and expect the four to be a little better.
+1 on Larry's Comments. You can modify seat back and rudder pedal cable length to accommodate long legs (at the expense of passenger room) but cockpit width is basically the same assuming they haven't installed side panels and sub panels etc.

Ok thnxs guys. I can assume that the 3&4 share the same width which is what I was seeking.
I've been looking for an 8 but they are rare as rocking horse poo down under so might have to squeeze into a 4.
Cheers

depends on the setup

6'2" 225 31 inch inseam and I fit comfortably in mine but before I found it I sat in 2 or 3 that I couldn't close the canopy all the way. The builder of mine said he moved the roll bar back 1.5 inches. So test for fit and there's ways of making it work.

More knee clearance

Regarding removing the bottom inch of the panel, I am told the Rocket has the panel moved forward to the fuse side formers and that makes a huge increase in knee clearance and entry/exit ease.

im 6'1 250 and fit fine. the only mod i made was moving the roll bar back about an inch to get more head room. the farther back the roll bar is the more rake on the seat which moves your head closer to the high point on the canopy. the only thing is you have to watch how far back you go so you do not restrict the rear seat stick travel.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Back