What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unlatch canopy

frghtdg

Any information or thoughts on what will happen taking off with an unlatch canopy?
Slider vs. Tip-up.
I'm pondering installing a 'canopy unlatch ' light.
Yeh Yeh, I know check-list.
But, I'm curious. If you have done this, no need to confess.
Just tell us what you 'think' would happen.

Hank
RV-14
70%

That search button will bring up a lot of threads.

Basically, the tip-ups just float open about 2". No big deal. As part of my test period I took off with it unlatched and it opens just about the time you rotate and start climbing. Of course, anything that can be sucked out might not be there when you land.

At altitude, if you slow down, put down the flaps, you can close it in flight.

The sliders are a different story. Maybe someone with more experience with them than I will respond.

Last edited:
One of my first flights

I took off with my sliding canopy closed but unlatched. When I finally noticed it due to the increased noise and wind I slowed to 80mph and tried to pull it open slightly and latch it. I could not budge it.

The benign effects explains why not much is mentioned. Out of 9000+ RVs, I figured more than a couple of oh #%!?* had to happen.
I think I'll shelve the canopy light idea.

H

You might encounter some posts about canopies coming off if unlatched. As far as I know, that's limited to the single-person-wide airplanes that have tip-over canopies that open sideways, hinged on the side.

Dave

I confess

I forgot to secure my tip up canopy but quickly realized it at rotation. At about 50 feet in the air I realized there was plenty of runway in front of me, landed and then taxied to the end (5,600 foot runway). Closed the canopy and taxied back for another take off.

This taught me again to always do a safety check prior to entering the runway and also reaffirmed the short takeoff and landing requirements of the RV7A.

Yea, always fly the airplane first. Everything else can wait.

Done this a few times with my slider, where it is almost, but not quite closed and unlatched. Nothing really happens in flight. If you go to slow flight speeds you might be lucky enough to get it latched (ive done it), but its really hard to do.

erich

Done That!

Early in my flying of the (slider) 9A, I "thought" I had locked the canopy - yes, I followed the checklist...
But alas at about 50 feet I hear a thump and started looking for what may have caused it. With ANR headset, the noise from the extra wind was cancelled. So at 1200' I finally discovered the canopy was in fact not latched. At 120 Kts, there's nothing you can do to budge that sucker! Slowing to 75 Kts and preparing to land at 7S3 (Twin Oaks) I let the traffic know I had a bit of a "problem" just in case slower airspeed may cause some unexpected surprises.
Landing went smoothly and after clearing the runway I securely latched the canopy and went about my business for the rest of the flight regimen.

The 6, 7, & 9 sliders are designed with a downward "swoop" at the aft. This causes some downward airflow pressure that literally pushes the canopy forward (unless that sucker is way open - which you would surely realize before take off ???)

End result is that I added three more references to CLOSED AND LOCKED in the checklist and if anyone is in the plane with me, I ask them to put their hand on the handle (as a reminder) until I get the the departure runway. They have all understood when I explain that I don't want to be distracted and forget...
Id I'm by myself, then I hang my hand on the latch...

I did this early on in my 8. Flying out to breakfast, the other guys got a jump on me and I sped through the run up and pre-takeoff check. Missed the canopy closed and locked item and took off. It was a bit noisy. Couldn't budge it closed at all. Thought about turning around and landing but I figured I'd be landing at the breakfast site anyway so I continued. Totally un-eventful. Cold though, it was winter!

I was a passenger in a 7 slider. The latch was not properly closed and it popped open on climbout. The pilot tried to close it while I flew the airplane. We were able to do it by slowing down to a pretty low speed once we got high enough to level off safely, but it was not easy. It never got more than an inch or 2 open but it was noisy. If it opened all the way it might have become interesting, not sure and not sure I want to know.

I am building a 4. My understanding is that an open canopy in a 4 is considerably more interesting. I think an open canopy becomes a detached canopy very quickly in fact, but if it doesn't hit the tail then the airplane remains controllable.

I think it is a good idea to close and lock it before flight.

BTDT - Lisa held that handle like a trooper. Tip-up.

I did level out and try to get it latched. Didn't think to go to slow flight. Just returned to the airport, got it locked down, and continued on to lunch.

I had left mine unlatched once and noticed it in the air, I was not able to pull it done and latch it in the air as I did not want to fuss with it too much while flying. Since, I have added a warning light that will illuminates if any one of the latch are not fully engaged. It was easy to make and cost me less than $10 total.

I did level out and try to get it latched. Didn't think to go to slow flight. Just returned to the airport, got it locked down, and continued on to lunch.

One key to making it possible is to fully deploy the flaps.
With flaps down and airspeed at Vfe the airplane flys at a lower AOA which reduces the amount of lifting of the canopy.

Don't even think about doing this in an RV-10

The door(s) will promptly depart the airplane. I had a door depart when at the fuel pump on the ramp when a #!@&* Air National Guard C130 decided to back taxi - all four engines moved to full power with me right in the prop blast. The shut but not locked pilot door spun off the plane like it was never attached.

The incident cost the Air Force a large settlement. Your tax dollars at work.

Carl

The door(s) will promptly depart the airplane. I had a door depart when at the fuel pump on the ramp when a #!@&* Air National Guard C130 decided to back taxi - all four engines moved to full power with me right in the prop blast. The shut but not locked pilot door spun off the plane like it was never attached.

The incident cost the Air Force a large settlement. Your tax dollars at work.

Carl

holy cr@p! I am surprised the rest of the airplane didn't go with it!

RV7 slider.

I latched it, then during a delay for takeoff I opened it slightly to get some airflow. Forgot to close it again.

I took off and it was a bit noisy but, I was able to close it by pushing forward on both sides of the canopy frame down by the rollers.

I,very owned 3 RV6'S. All sliders. Our new 14 is, of course a tipup. Being in Florida during the summer months is brutal trying to taxi with a completely closed canopy. We taxi with the canopy resting on the locking pins in order to let in some moving air. I believe that it would be very easy to overlook closing and securing the canopy before a takeoff roll. Fortunately. DYNON has not only a visual aid on the panel but a configurable audio warning. I set ours to become audible at 1200 rpm's. I love it.

Did the fly off in a 12 a few years ago for a new owner with slender tool time. He bought it built but unflown.

I had his mechanic look it over and re sign it off before I did the test flying.

All OK until the speed increased and the canopy popped open.

If you have ever seen the comedy sketch - The Balloon Dance, check it out. 3 naked guys and a reducing number of balloons...

I got it down OK and told the owner what had happened. At that point he was looking at his feet and shuffling.

He though the latch was stiff and turned it round.

Yep, that worked - now the little latch was on the lip and let go when the speed increased.

As Scott said - reduce speed, get all the flap out and things get a whole lot easier, but above all - fly the airplane, do not lose focus and do not panic.

Back