What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Post Frankenstorm Patrol

tkatc

Well Known Member
So I surveyed the NJ coastline today. It was easy to tell which towns were north of the eye and which towns were south. Atlantic City and south suffered flood and sand damage...North of Atlantic City suffered catostrophic damages!!

I had to beat a Presidential TFR so I did not have time to go further North in NY but I sure Vlad will do so when his plane is back in business.

Lots of sand damage to the South.
_DSC0144.JPG

Some water damage.
_DSC0126.JPG

Atlantic City lost a boardwalk.
_DSC0133.JPG

But North of Atlantic City (North of the eye), got KILLED!
_DSC0159.JPG

This town is no longer under water....it's under sand!
_DSC0176.JPG

This is an expolsion of some sort and the gas main is still spewing flames 15 feet high. Notice that there WERE 4 beach front properties that are no longer there.
_DSC0183.JPG

_DSC0185.JPG

This inlet to the bay did not exist a week ago.
_DSC0188.JPG

_DSC0227.JPG

Wow that is intense! Those are better than the images I have seen on the news!

Thanks for sharing those. My condolences to those who were affected - tragic!

Amazing images and kind of hard to comprehend. And then there was the next page. And the page after that.

I've never been to visit the affected area but I can imagine, for those who live there and for those who have strong memories of the area, the images will evoke strong emotion.

New York got its share too. It's still pitch black downtown. Upper East Side is on upper grounds and we have power feels good. People coming from below 30ies streets for food and movies. Restaurants are packed and there were lines for food. Couldn't launch app to post couple pictures. A flight is planned on Saturday morning but I am not sure I could make it to the airport. Nobody taking the phone at FBO front desk couldn't check status on hangar. Tony could you take a look from above weather permitting?

TK!

Thanks for the GREAT Recon mission!

The "New" inlet picture is the Bridge we take to get to my parents beach house.

The little houses you took a picture of is where the house is located! Apparently all full of sand, but still in one piece.

There was no way for us to find out what to expect, but your pictures will help my parent better prepare for there loss - thank goodness it is only a material loss! A lot of people lost so much more in this storm, my heart goes out to them.

Thanks, I owe you one.

Last edited:
Amazing

Great photos Tony. This was a devastating storm for sure. Damage in the Philadelphia area was very localized. Some areas (mine) had expected damage, others look like war zones. If anyone in the area needs to borrow a generator send me a message.

Tony, thanks for the photos, much better than what the news media has been putting out.

How did you fair at your place?? Hope all is fine, just washed off nice and clean.

Be careful...

!FDC 2/5501 ZNY AND 2/5502 ZDC NJ.. SPECIAL NOTICE NEW JERSEY SHORELINE. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. AIRCRAFT OPERATORS ARE ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE BORDERING THE NEW JERSEY SHORELINE INCLUDING MONMOUTH, ATLANTIC, OCEAN COUNTIES AND CAPE MAY, NEW JERSEY, WITHIN .5 NM EITHER SIDE OF THE SHORELINE 1500 FEET AND BELOW DUE TO EXTENSIVE DISASTER RELIEF, RECOVERY AND RECONSTITUTION EFFORTS, SEARCH AND RESCUE, LAW ENFORCEMENT AND MEDIVAC OPERATIONS BEING CONDUCTED IN AND AROUND THE NEW JERSEY SHORELINE. PILOTS SHOULD EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION DUE TO LOW FLYING AIRCRAFT. FLIGHT CREWS SHOULD REMAIN IN CONTACT WITH THE APPROPRIATE ATC FACILITY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT POSSIBLE. PILOTS SHOULD ALSO BE PARTICULARLY ALERT FOR POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS THAT MAY BE IMPLEMENTED AND CHECK NOTAMS OFTEN. AIRCRAFT OPERATORS ARE REMINDED TO MAINTAIN HEIGHTENED VIGILANCE AND SITUATIONAL AWARENESS WHILE OPERATING WITHIN THE AFFECTED AREAS. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONTACT THE AIR TRAFFIC OPERATIONS INCIDENT RESPONSE MANAGEMENT CENTER (AIRMAC) AT 202-267-5418.

I did ok Mike. The "eye" passed right over us which sounds horrifying but was actually a blessing. The people North of the eye are the ones that really get walloped. We had the winds and rains but no damage and didn't even lose power.

My pics are from a distance and show damage but you dont realize the full impact until you are at ground level. I have seen pics from INSIDE a few people's houses where the ocean/bay breached the doors and there is 2-3 inches of wet sand throughout. Its hard to imagine where to even begin.

In the harder hit areas, the police are being called out to gas stations to ease the fighting. The lines are long and the available fuel is running out with no way to deliver more. Fuel for cars and generators are all these people have to live on. Very sad state of affairs right now.

!FDC 2/5501 ZNY AND 2/5502 ZDC NJ.. SPECIAL NOTICE NEW JERSEY SHORELINE. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. AIRCRAFT OPERATORS ARE ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE BORDERING THE NEW JERSEY SHORELINE INCLUDING MONMOUTH, ATLANTIC, OCEAN COUNTIES AND CAPE MAY, NEW JERSEY, WITHIN .5 NM EITHER SIDE OF THE SHORELINE 1500 FEET AND BELOW DUE TO EXTENSIVE DISASTER RELIEF, RECOVERY AND RECONSTITUTION EFFORTS, SEARCH AND RESCUE, LAW ENFORCEMENT AND MEDIVAC OPERATIONS BEING CONDUCTED IN AND AROUND THE NEW JERSEY SHORELINE. PILOTS SHOULD EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION DUE TO LOW FLYING AIRCRAFT. FLIGHT CREWS SHOULD REMAIN IN CONTACT WITH THE APPROPRIATE ATC FACILITY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT POSSIBLE. PILOTS SHOULD ALSO BE PARTICULARLY ALERT FOR POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS THAT MAY BE IMPLEMENTED AND CHECK NOTAMS OFTEN. AIRCRAFT OPERATORS ARE REMINDED TO MAINTAIN HEIGHTENED VIGILANCE AND SITUATIONAL AWARENESS WHILE OPERATING WITHIN THE AFFECTED AREAS. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONTACT THE AIR TRAFFIC OPERATIONS INCIDENT RESPONSE MANAGEMENT CENTER (AIRMAC) AT 202-267-5418.

Tell me about it! I have been separating VFRs all morning along the coast. The last thing NJ needs is a midair.

Point Pleasant?

Tony,

Do you recall which photos were of Point Pleasant? It looks like maybe the video at the end is that area.

One of my best friends has a house there, and he hasn't been able to get in to survey the damage.

Antony

Antony,
That video IS Point Pleasant. I have family there as well so that is the reason for the video.

Another VAF member has a house that he found in one of my pics. He asked for a more detailed pic. One of these houses is his and appears to be intact, at least structurally.

_DSC0179.JPG

Pt Pleasant

Thanks Tony. My friend's place is on Homestead, just north up Ocean Ave. from the Jenkinson's aquarium. His parents' place is on Lake if I recall correctly. It looks from your vid that the houses are mostly standing in that neck of the woods and were damaged less than some places to the south. I have passed your photo link on to him.

It looks like the pier at Jenkinson's is pretty much gone, and the boardwalk is significantly damaged.

This storm really did a number on the NY/NJ area. My brother lives in downtown Manhattan and he is out of his apartment for at least two weeks.

Glad to hear you weathered the storm okay. Hope your family in Pt. Pleasant are okay as well.

Thanks, Tony. My house is the one with the two skylights on the left side of the street. The roof actually looks pretty good. It may be months before we can gain access to the area. We heard today that the Route 37 bridge, one of two bridges to the island, has been deemed unsafe. The other bridge is washed out.

I just want to send out my prayers and well wishes to all of you that were effected by this storm. I was here in the Keys during the '05 season and what you have looks a lot like what we had due to the surge from Wilma. You will get back to normal. Try and keep the best outlook possible.

Sandy damage

My BIB(girlfriend) is from Point Pleasant, and ironically, we landed in Ft Lauderdale last Friday while Sandy was in the Bahamas with 45kt winds on final (767 not RV) to visit her retired parents that live in Boynton Beach Fla...the next 5 days was spent watching and hearing of the mass devistation in NJ and surrounding areas, and keeping up with her many family members still living there,and seeing their loss. We had planned to take the -4 to Jersey soon, but likely it will be the F-150 loaded with supplies if needed. We are back in NC now, and blowing leaves in our yard almost makes me feel guilty.

USS Wasp is moving into the NY Harbor today. I have been working swarms of V22's northbound to help in relief efforts.
4f431a4210696e8f15bcea3109b0c410.jpg

Hours before it struck I took a ride around the town. Roads were mostly deserted cops deployed and digging in.

1-6.jpg

2-5.jpg

On Upper East Side where I work it was terrible around midnight. Flying scaffolding and downed trees. Luckily power was never lost. Spikes were not enough to trigger generators.

Down the block by a school. There was FDR Drive now under water. Roosevelt Island across.

3-6.jpg

School was flooded but never lost the power. Aren't our electrical engineers the best? Even street lights were on.

4-5.jpg

After couple days I tried to get out to the airport. The only tunnel opened was Lincoln and I spent 3 hours in traffic.

13-1.jpg

Rationed gas it's my day. Long time ago it happened I've heard.

9-3.jpg

Rode along the shore. Staten Island.

5-5.jpg

Coney Island driftwood everywhere.

6-4.jpg

Continental Brooklyn mostly intact but coastal areas battered.

7-3.jpg

Lots of military traffic with relief missions.

8-3.jpg

Sky Manor airport lost several aircrafts.

11-2.jpg

Central Jersey Regional Airport.

12-2.jpg

Far Rockaway pictures are too depressing to post you saw it all in the news.

OK. This was today. The armada with carrier stays a mile or so offshore.

7-4.jpg

1-7.jpg

2-6.jpg

3-7.jpg

4-6.jpg

5-6.jpg

6-5.jpg

8-4.jpg

9-4.jpg

These parking lots are now dump sites. All peoples houses.

10-1.jpg

Back