What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior advice

Rob H

Well Known Member
I?ve been priming my parts as I build and now that I?m working on the fuselage kit, there are parts that will show (right now I?m working on the baggage floor RV12). I?m planning on a professional paint job. For those of you who do this for a living, what should I do or not do to exposed surfaces in the interior that will eventually get professionally painted? Should I prime them? Or send them out to be painted prior to install? Or just wait and have it painted once complete?I?ve been using Tempo aviation primer on unexposed parts after a light scuffing and cleaning with acetone. Thanks

Ask you potential paint shops. Most shops will remove any existing coating since they have no idea of the quality of that coating and they have to warranty their work. I don't know if this applies to interior paint jobs.

Rob,
As a professional painter, I would be suspect of something I didn't apply, especially if it was from a spray can, or the prep work was questionable.

As a homebuilder, I would want to protect and prime (if not paint) everything as I go in order to minimize the amount of disassembly needed later, especially by a painter that may not understand what they are taking apart.

I usually suggest that folks come up with a color and overall interior/exterior plan so that, if able, they can paint the difficult areas inside as they build and the pro can just come back behind them and do the obvious areas. Best of both worlds...

Brad Simmons
Airframes Inc.
Milan, TN
731-686-3610
[email protected]

Back