What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your RV-4 project!

Good Job

Arlie I can't wait to hear how it goes! I bet it will fly as good as it looks!
Justin

Getting closer to flipping the canoe; Riveted up to the back seat.

Well, haven't posted a status report in a while, as Axel and Arlie (among others) have had far more interesting, and important reports to share. Today was a big one for me though. I got a buddy to come by and get in the tube to buck some rivets. The canoe is riveted from the tail, to the back seat. All the forward skins, and the belly skin, are drilled. I can't wait to flip it! I want to get it out of this jig!
macuuc.jpg

Patience grasshoper. Yours will be better than ours because you have hopefully learned from our mistakes.

Looks good. Keep pounding rivets.

Ready to finish riveting!

2jagryp.jpg

After a lot of work the last week, the fuse is ready to finish riveting, I just gotta bribe a buddy to come by. (Kurt / Steve / Aaron - beer is in the fridge)

I cut off the jig uprights today after all the skins were clecoed on, and I put a couple alignment pins on the inside to replace them. Now I can access the firewall easier. After all these clecos are removed, I'll flip the canoe.

Gregg

An another suggestion, after you flip canoe, fabricate braces (wood) to continue to hold fuselage on jig, and install 6 casters under jig, it become nice height for continueing work and allows moving as needed...Tom

Flipped the Canoe! Big Milestone for me.

Well, the last week or so, I have been taking care of odds and ends, while waiting for a rivet partner. Steve was able to come by today, and we knocked out the right side of the forward fuse, and a few fasteners on the firewall. Here is a pic after we were done riveting:
4i2jq.jpg

The time has come to flip the canoe. So here it goes:
9qigjb.jpg

Sure looks neater like this!
2zs1aav.jpg

My wife took a video of the flip. Pretty neat to watch. Full disclosure, it made my eyes water to see it right side up. I lost my dad 10 years ago, unexpectedly, and this was something we were going to do together. Thanks Vans, and thanks VAF - this is a big day for me.

Gregg

Time flies, literally...

I cut off the jig uprights today after all the skins were clecoed on, and I put a couple alignment pins on the inside to replace them. Now I can access the firewall easier. After all these clecos are removed, I'll flip the canoe.
Gregg

Congrats Gregg!
That's a big moment for any RV builder but HUGE for an RV4 builder, especially in the quick build, pre drilled generation!

As mentioned by Marc, I too remember doing that like it was yesterday, even though in January it will be 20 years ago!
Thanks for sharing. :)

Merry Christmas!
Smokey

PS: Save your Jigs, if nobody wants them, build a workbench! Something to remember the hard work by...

Last edited:
IMG_2807_zpsikfvdgmt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Making progress, just have to connect some wires then paint and get the seats done and I guess some paperwork:)

Yes, all DYNON but will only be day VFR for now. Struggling with photobucket but here's the electrical system, simple drawing in powerpoint but it makes sense to me:) Will try to make the EFIS planning scheme to be possible to share shortly.

Got the preliminary registration number, the project is now named SE-XZT:) ELT is shipped for programming and I'm half way through wireing and terminal connecting. EFIS component layout:

Early stage restart

FwdSparAlign_zpsgm9mkky9.jpg.html

After a short break, I decided to restart building my -4. I pulled out the parts for the vertical stabilizer, followed the instructions and used what I learned from messing up the horizontal stab (seen in background). "Building" a 4 requires much more attention to detail than "assembling" a 7, which I started 10 years ago. When I finish the vert stab, I will return to replacing bad parts of horizontal stab and finish it. Then? Press on!

Finally starting to see some more progress...

I got the fuselage far enough along, that we all got a chance to sit in it.
16biqe8.jpg

sxktns.jpg

I have been working on the panel, forward skin, cockpit rails are drilled, roll bar is drilled, front seat is done, lots of stuff ready to prime.

Floorboards are done except for footwells. I am VERY close to ordering finish kit.

Gregg

Finished Fastback, left wing complete, right wing about to close, tail done, starting canopy soon.

Many thanks to Axel, Jake, and Arlie for their answers, and examples.

14d1s8i.jpg

xdxufo.jpg

xo1vsz.jpg

Thanks guys, sorry for the late reply... I've been in the workshop ;-)

Nice to hear word of encouragement on the workmanship. Funny, when I look at it, all I see are the imperfections but I am very pleased overall. Only one area bothers me and I'll post more on that with some pictures.

Honestly I didn't track the hobbs on the port wing. So much time was spent figuring out stuff and I had to undo some things to move forward. I think I removed and re-installed the skins half a dozen times in the end. It took me two years but I estimate 6 months for the starboard wing. Oh wait, I 90% built ailerons in there too.

I'm working on flaps right now because I don't want to start the starboard wing and have to move houses in the middle.

Another small step

Actually got to take her out for a stroll around the the ramp for first time. A little fuel and taxi back
15tugn.jpg
to hanger. Just checking brakes, oil etc. just waiting on DAR.

Mike, big congrats on getting past this milestone---------one more to go then is is grin time:D

Thanks Mike,
I?ve probably posted this on the wrong place and don?t know how to move it,so help is appreciated if it needs moving.
Thanks a bunch to this group

Mike,

Congratulations! Looks great. You are at least a year ahead of me, you worked hard to get to this point. Anxious to hear how flight testing goes.

Awesome!

Mike,
In the “quick build, predrilled, high dollar” world of Vans Aircraft these days, its great to see another RV4 completion. Mine turned 21 last month and it is still flying great.
Thanks for sharing!

V/R
Smokey

PS: Gotta like the Warnke prop!

Looks great Mike, won't be long now. Good luck with the inspection. I used the FAA for mine and it went really smooth after getting all the paperwork filled out the way they wanted (guy even filled the forms out and printed them for me, some good FAA types out there). I've logged hour 6hrs. on my new 4 so far. It flew great right out of the box, I bet yours will too. You're going to like it!! Be sure and ask for a big phase 1 test area, these things scoot...

Skip
RV-4 #1904
NC

Thanks Daddyman. Yup it?s paint. It?s PPG Deltron 2000 base with three coats of SPI clear. Did it myself in my garage, watched lots of YouTube videos and it actually came out nice. It?s not professional finish but I?m super happy with it considering what it cost me. Been putting in 12hr days at the hanger and she is almost done. Time to get a sign off and go fly her. This -4 was started in 1989 (I was 8 years old) so it?s about time!

Port wing fit up

Well folks, a few weeks back I decided to bring my project home from my friend's hangar as I wasn't getting to work on it as much as I thought I would. I made good progress last winter working on the flaps and ailerons at home in the basement and it's true what they say, you get way more done with a project at home. While I won't be able to final rivet in my basement, I have a lots to do over the next few months. Here's how it looks so far.

Port RV-4 wing by James Soutar, on Flickr

Vertical Stab complete and rudder almost done, its a real life exploded view at the moment :)

Last edited:
Here is my extra extra long build RV-4. Just brought the second wing from home to the hangar and got it installed on the plane today. After 30 years its hard to say "its close" but it kind of feels like it.;)

Attachments

• 20201228_121730_small.jpg
    20201228_121730_small.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 464
Looks darn close now

Here is my extra extra long build RV-4. Just brought the second wing from home to the hangar and got it installed on the plane today. After 30 years its hard to say "its close" but it kind of feels like it.;)

Keep at it, you are so close now, I can almost hear the sound of "CLEAR PROP".
Your blue over shine is gorgeous.

Daddyman

Get-R-Done!

Kudos to keeping with it! Mine took 16 years and I never lost the passion, flying it now 10 years this month. People always ask "How long did it take you to build?"..I always reply " About 3 years over a 16 year period"..it usually leaves them stumped. You are close now, and I remember that stage well. Exciting times !

People always ask "How long did it take you to build?"..I always reply " About 3 years over a 16 year period".

I like that! I'm approaching 13 years and feel the same way! :)

Exactly, there was 17 years of a Pitts S-1S (with mods), a few years of a Bonanza, a C-150 mini-restoration, and countless other distractions. Actual build time, probably 5 years.

The RV has a new ECI Titan O-360, and Dynon Skyview with autopilot. When I started this project I envisioned cheap steam gauges.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and kind words.

Brad

Back