What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL XTreme EMS / EFIS

Snap

Well Known Member
Hello guys,

since the first day I was thinking about arming my airplane with a Dynon EMS D-10. Lately I found the MGL XTreme EFIS and EMS online which look about absolutely perfect for our purpose.

Does anyone have experience with those units? The EFIS unit looks perfekt for every RV pilot. :cool:

http://www.mglavionics.com/html/xtreme_efis.html

Thank you for you hints!

Simon

I have one installed on a non-RV homebuilt. I only have about 10 hours on it but so far I like it. Feel free to PM or email with any specific questions.

I purchased the XTreme when they were first offered. I installed it in my 6A and removed the altimeter. I connected pitot, static, OAT and power. The gps puck went on the glare shield...... This is the base unit. No extras. I was ready to go fly, It gave me everything I needed for VFR flight. In that configuration it does way more than I want to list here, go to their web site for the list. I will say, the horizen is gps based so you CAN fool it under certain movements, but it is so accurate you will be amazed at how quick it will indicate a change. It will get you out of the clouds if ever needed. The screen is VERY bright. I have never had a problem reading the screen and I have a tip up.

When you are ready to add the EMS part, you purchase the unit that mounts on the firewall and run 2, maybe three wires through the firewall to the XTreme. All of the engine connections happen at the firewall...... this is very easy to install, and you buy only what you need.

The MGL Xtreme EFIS with EMS started out as my VFR instrumentation. It's now my IFR backup. It has its own GPS as well as the OAT, AHRS and Magnetometer modules on its CAN bus. It's a very complete system.

To use it as an engine monitor, you need to choose an RDAC module from MGL (suitable for your application) that your various probes and sensors feed into. Then that connects to the extreme EFIS with minimal wires.

I had a Dynon (which I loved) on my RV. On my current homebuilt project (almost ready for first flight - woot!) I opted for MGL. I haven't flown with it yet but _very_ slick on the ground and great bang per buck.

I have the mgl extreme installed along with the challenger lite. The challenger lite has built in ahrs but i havent installed the extra ahrs sensor i have yet. How do you get the attitude to work on the extreme off gps? Mine just says not attitude or something.

Back