What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

baggage door brace.

laz

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a current part number for a baggage door brace for the forward baggage door on a RV8, I think it was a McMaster Car Item. Someone referenced one in a old thread but I could never find the number.

Tanks

Laz

Strut

Laz, I used McMaster Carr part #11615A14. Matt Dralle has an excellent write up in his kit-log for installing the strut. Good luck with your build.

Steve

A different support strut

Laz,
there is another type of baggage door support that you might be interested in.
It is basically a tightly wound coil spring with little brackets on each end. You put one bracket on the door, one on the inside of the firewall.

When the door is closed, the coil spring is folded in half. When you open the door, it snaps straight, and holds the door open quite nicely.

To close, you just nudge the middle of the spring, and it buckles so it folds in half.
There is a certified version that is used on Beechcraft airplanes that is rediculously expensive. But I bought mine from another supplier for about $10, I forget exactly.

Here are some for sale on Ebay so you can see a picture.

I'm really happy with mine

Baggage door brace

I bought the spring type door brace from Bass Pro in the boating section. Several to choose from and very inexpensive.

I am in the spring camp

I used a stainless spring from West Marine. I used only one of the mounting brackets that came with the unit, and constructed the end that attached to the firewall. The attaching hardware can be simple or complex, up to you.

Spring Thing

..is what it's called. Also, you can use a simple door latch from HD in the cabinet section....worked well on mine.

Hydraulic Gas Strut Lift Support Door Cabinet 20N

After trying lots of different strengths, I found the 20N version of this one to be perfect:

img_1415-768x1024.jpg

img_1050-768x1024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back