What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Minnesota State Fair

petehowell

Well Known Member
A simple evening flight over the Twin Cities to shoot some touch and goes at Downtown St. Paul and see the State Fair from the air - all captured by an 11 yr old in photos and captions.

Here is the teaser:

IMG_4757.JPG

The whole set is here:

Plenty of MN State Fair Memories from my Youth

They still have Machinery Hill? Love to go sit in the big new tractors.
Is Peter's Weiners stand still there with hot dogs for 23 cents?
MN dairy farms still pull a truck up to the milk booth where you can have all the milk you can drink for a nickel? I could drink for a half hour.

Excellent memories when I used to fly into STP to do touch and goes from Lake Elmo. Thanks for the pictures.

Last edited:
Thanks for the memories, Pete! Looks like an absolutely spectacular MN evening to go to the State Fair.

Fabulous memories Pete! I used to work at a popcorn stand next to the grandstand some years - we had a neighbor who'd had the stand in his family for generations - he was a Naval Aviator, became and Aeronautical Engineer, then went on to be a patent attorney for Rosemount Engineering - the makers of pitot probes and air data systems for the aerospace world. Most of us kids that worked his place were college-bound - bout for a week each year, we became "Carnies"!

My other memory is landing a J-3 Cub on the empty midway lot and taxiing it through the fairgrounds to the Hippodrome for a static display at the annual Scouting Exhibition. It was a Cub that our Explorer post had recently finished rebuilding, and in which I was to get my license - the Fairground landing was with my instructor - we had a little over 1,000', tree-line to tree-line - no big deal!

Get a corn dog for me if you get there!

Paul

Same 'ole Fair

They still have Machinery Hill? YES! Love to go sit in the big new tractors.

Is Peter's Weiners stand still there with hot dogs for 23 cents? Don't think so...

MN dairy farms still pull a truck up to the milk booth where you can have all the milk you can drink for a nickel? I could drink for a half hour. YES! - Right next to the warm brownie stand!

Excellent memories when I used to fly into STP to do touch and goes from Lake Elmo. Thanks for the pictures.
We love STP - Big airport feel, but not much traffic!

That brings back memories... I used to fly a "sky sign" based out of Anoka for Hoff Jewelers. We had a 172 with a bunch if LED lights strung from wing tip to wing tip, and could display various messages..

I spent many nights flying a race track around the MN State Fair, while advertising half price diamonds!

FYI - The "All you can drink" milk is now $1.00. Giant smoked turkey leg: $8.00. Deep fried, maple glazed then re-fried 1/4 lb. bacon strip on a stick: $3.00. Deep fried Twinkie: $3.00. MN officially has the most food of any state fair on record.

ff

Good ole' inflation hasn't skipped the fair!

FYI - The "All you can drink" milk is now $1.00. Giant smoked turkey leg: $8.00. Deep fried, maple glazed then re-fried 1/4 lb. bacon strip on a stick: $3.00. Deep fried Twinkie: $3.00. MN officially has the most food of any state fair on record.

ff

I remember when all you can drink milk was $.25! That wasn't to long ago. Regardless, the great MN get-together is always a good time. Nice pictures Kate and Pete!

Back