What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mag Brand on Van's YIO-540-D4A5?

DRMA

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm trying to order the engine sensors for my new Van's provided Lycoming YIO-540 engine, and am told that I need to know if it has Slick or Bendix mags in order to source the correct tach sensor. Since I'm sitting at home and my engine is at the shop, does anyone know what brand mags come on the standard Lycoming engine?

Thanks

All (or rather most) new Lycoming engines are shipped with Slick Mags. Lycoming switched from Bendix to Slick years ago.

Continental Engines (a Lycoming competitor) owns Bendix mags.

The Slick mags are lighter and less expensive.

Lycoming Service Instruction 1443M lists the Slick Mag model numbers.

Dave, regarding the Slick mags. The D4A5 engine has a fifth counter balance weight on the crank shaft. There is an issues with the Slick impulse mags with this series of engine. If you go with Slick, you will need to go with the regular mags and a Slick start. I decided to go with duel impulse Bendix mags. As mentioned, Bendix were standard issue with Lycoming until TCM bought out Bendix. The service on the Bendix impulse is the typical 500 hour service and nothing else.

Back