What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual in a RV

dstew

First post here. We just received our air worthiness certificate for our 7A. Our Insurance is requiring some dual in type. Anyone know of a cfi in the Las Vegas or Salt Lake area giving dual in a RV?

Dale
702-400-3002

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF!!!!

Dale, welcome to the good ship VAF.

Congrats on the pink slip.:D

Pretty sure someone will chime in with a CFI recommendation for you, give it a day or two.

Seb Trost flys a 7a out of your area, but I do not know if he is a CFI, you might try sending him a message.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=1855

Again, welcome aboard.

Last edited:
And here I thought there would be a link to a video of a dogfight... :p Oh well. Welcome to VAF, and congrats on getting the paperwork done!

And here I thought there would be a link to a video of a dogfight... :p Oh well. Welcome to VAF, and congrats on getting the paperwork done!

Yea, sad when you have to edit your first post on a forum twice to get it right.
Thanks for the welcome.
Dale

Why CFI

I just received my insurance quote for this coming year and since it will be the year I fly I asked for "Ground Only and Ground and Flight info. Listed was additional training of 3 hours Dual and get this 2 hours Solo. I told them it will be tough to get the dual time but I bet impossible to get solo time. I get the feeling these insurance folks don't really understand the experimental world. There are what 5 folks listed on this site that give transition training and at an impressive rate but one I checked needs 6+ months to work you into the schedule.

So riddle me this. I can get time in an RV-7 get all the handling experience I want, do some pattern work and feel very comfortable and ready to fly my own RV-8A. The tail model flies just like the "A" until the wheels touch! I am an experienced pilot and know how to fly. Why does this experience building time have to be with a CFI?

I know a long time RV owner and test pilot who I might be able to get experience with, insurance company is not sure that will fly, they are checking. Finding these barriers I can see why some choose to do the first flight without getting experience, it seems the source of that training is artificially limited by the "CFI" requirement.

I have already done air work from the back of an RV-8 and flown close formation several times (wing work not just straight lines), aside from getting more familiar with the slow speed handling and pattern in the RV I am quite comfortable with the plane. But I guess none of this counts since it was not with a CFI. No offense to CFIs but there just are not enough of you offering your services from the looks of things.

When my plane is ready to fly it is flying with me in it, if I can get "additional training by then great but if not well.. I will be safe about this, I am already gearing up with my "Flight Adviser" we will plan the first flight and entire 40 hour fly off as a formal flight test program, not just turning circles in the sky. l guess what I am saying is don't take my comments above as someone who takes this stuff lightly.

Cheers

Mike, You are only 180 miles away from one of the best instructors in RV's. Get down there and do a 1/2 day with Mike Seager.

Instruction from Mike is available in the RV-6A, RV-7, RV-9/9A, RV-10 and RV-12. (RV-4, RV-8/8A and RV-9/9A pilots train in the RV-6A or RV-7).
Contact Mike between 6:30 am and 7:30 am Pacific Time.

Phone: 503-429-5103
e-mail: [email protected]

I just received my insurance quote for this coming year and since it will be the year I fly I asked for "Ground Only and Ground and Flight info. Listed was additional training of 3 hours Dual and get this 2 hours Solo. I told them it will be tough to get the dual time but I bet impossible to get solo time. I get the feeling these insurance folks don't really understand the experimental world. There are what 5 folks listed on this site that give transition training and at an impressive rate but one I checked needs 6+ months to work you into the schedule.

So riddle me this. I can get time in an RV-7 get all the handling experience I want, do some pattern work and feel very comfortable and ready to fly my own RV-8A. The tail model flies just like the "A" until the wheels touch! I am an experienced pilot and know how to fly. Why does this experience building time have to be with a CFI?

I know a long time RV owner and test pilot who I might be able to get experience with, insurance company is not sure that will fly, they are checking. Finding these barriers I can see why some choose to do the first flight without getting experience, it seems the source of that training is artificially limited by the "CFI" requirement.

I have already done air work from the back of an RV-8 and flown close formation several times (wing work not just straight lines), aside from getting more familiar with the slow speed handling and pattern in the RV I am quite comfortable with the plane. But I guess none of this counts since it was not with a CFI. No offense to CFIs but there just are not enough of you offering your services from the looks of things.

When my plane is ready to fly it is flying with me in it, if I can get "additional training by then great but if not well.. I will be safe about this, I am already gearing up with my "Flight Adviser" we will plan the first flight and entire 40 hour fly off as a formal flight test program, not just turning circles in the sky. l guess what I am saying is don't take my comments above as someone who takes this stuff lightly.

Cheers

I agree 100%.

Dual in an RV for insurance

Mike, You are only 180 miles away from one of the best instructors in RV's. Get down there and do a 1/2 day with Mike Seager.

Instruction from Mike is available in the RV-6A, RV-7, RV-9/9A, RV-10 and RV-12. (RV-4, RV-8/8A and RV-9/9A pilots train in the RV-6A or RV-7).
Contact Mike between 6:30 am and 7:30 am Pacific Time.

Phone: 503-429-5103
e-mail: [email protected]

As Gasman quoted above, I concur.

Mike Seager worth the trip. He is the most experienced, well over (15,000 hours), and is Van's primary transition instructor. I was at Van's today and Mike Seager's card is the only instructor's card displayed at Van's.

Last I talked with Mike he was still using Van's aircraft to do the transition training. That should say enough right there. He will give dual in other RV's also, at his call for decision of course. Mike is the man. There are others qualified. I recommend Mike. He is a great guy.

There's more.

Mike, many guys have done their first flights just fine and you probably will too...buuut many of them have also busted their a$$e$, the reason that the NTSB, FAA and EAA came up with the LODA for CFI's.

As a CFI, we teach by the "building block" system, whereby each maneuver you learn is based on another maneuver previously learned, even if it was learned in a car. e.g. going uphill takes more throttle to maintain the same speed....same thing applies to airplanes...there is a method to the madness:)

We don't teach forced landings until you've mastered speed control in a glide, or we'd be putting the cart before the horse.

We also quickly learn a student's shortcomings and then work more on those sections in the learning curve.

We are few in number, as you mention..the FAA makes getting a LODA a pain, unlike the first five years that the EAA administered the program.

Secondly, the additional insurance has turned us away as well. Furthermore, it's hard on an airplane. I had my -6A rudder bottomed out twice, crosswind landings sideways because the guy has forgotten how to do them, or he's spent all his time and money building, not flying.

Get current before your first flight in something with light controls, like a C-150 and do crosswind landings the RIGHT way before your first flight.

Good luck,

No one has answered

Edit: Can't edit suject line but would like it to read "No has justified". Why does it have to be a CFI? I know about Mike S., he is one of the guys I have corresponded with and his appointment book as I recall is many months out for an open slot, hard to judge when to schedule this with my floating estimate of when I think I will be done, although I think I have it down now to +- 2 months.

I have friends and EAA members who will let me fly with them and I thought that was all I would need, so I did not pursue a date with Mike. Now the insurance company wants dual with a CFI. I don't agree that it has to be a CFI, the important point is to get experience in a similar airplane. The airplane will be aerobatic but the insurance company does not require CFI training in that discipline, perhaps due to my background, but I have not read anyone on this forum that has had an insurance company require that training.

@Pierre: What you are talking about is basics to good instruction and evaluation of abilities and I know that CFIs are trained in these principles. So was I, as an instructor is several airplanes while in the Air Force. The guys I have flown with are just like me, experienced instructors from the military, just without CFI certification. Kind of makes you go hmmm. If a guy can teach in a T-38, 37, F-X why can't they spin me up on RV handling since they have the experience in the plane, the answer is they should.

I am not talking about going up for joy rides, although that is fun as well. The RV-7 I flew was with a current and certified test pilot and I will tell you he showed me handling that no CFI has ever shown me, more to the point his explanations of what was going on while he did it was top notch. Yet this guy is not qualified?

The issue should be experience in the plane not who administers that experience. This just promotes guys to just fly without any experience at all. Getting the experience should be made easily accessible not difficult and expensive. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
"Getting the experience should be made easily accessible not difficult and expensive."

+1

Now this is a really great statment!

Back