What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Space in the rocket cabin

Luckyno1

I'm New Here
Hi all, just wondering how the taller guys go in a Rocket? Im 6'4' and cannot sit upright in a Bonanza. I have read a couple of threads about how the rocket fuselage feels roomier then the RV8?

Ideally looking for a cross country machine for me and my partner, no longer then say a 2 hr leg at a time.

Cheers
Lucky
P.S. Just finalising a sale on a secondhand IO540-C4B5 & Hartzell prop with 500 odd hours - at an awesome price.

I'm only 5'11" but I have a very long torso and I also had to recline a bit and slide down to keep my headset off the headliner of my Bonanza and Baron. In the rocket, the previous owner had a spacer pad that elevated the bottom of the 2" thick seat cushion even with the top of the forward spar. In that configuration, I found the headroom lacking. Once I removed the spacer and put the seat cushion right on the sheet metal, the headroom was fine, probably 2"-3" higher than a Bonanza/Baron. This is with the sliding canopy. I have never been in one with a tilt over canopy, so I have no idea if they are similar.

One of the other guys who flies for me is about 6' tall but he is ALL legs. When he gets in the Rocket, his knees have a pronounced bend but still miss the panel.

To the thread starter, a 6ft 4" Aussie that flies Thrush agg planes in Canada recently got himself and F1 rocket back home in Australia. The seat cushion and seat back should be configurable to handle you in the front.

I think it takes the right personality to enjoy the back seat of any tandem seat AC.
The back seat of a rocket is almost the same as an RV 4 so anything over 5-11 in the back seat is going to be a bit of a gymnastics act getting knees past the front seat back cross member. I have seen really keen flyers as tall as 6ft2" get in one time just because they really wanted a rocket ride.

The Harmon Rocket tilt canopy is no problem in the front for 6 3" average proportion. The rear seat I can wear a headset but it is fairly close. No problem at all with Halo headset or similar.

To the OP- keep in mind that the canopy height is somewhat builder specific. Mine is pretty low.

Concerning the engine/prop - Rockets have a unique blade twist (the "J" blade) compared to the run of the mill paddle. This factor is worth a lot of speed. Purchase accordingly.

Lucky,

It's possible to adjust the Rocket layout a bit for taller pilots. You can move the seat support aft an inch or two, and move the lower hinge point aft somewhat too. Then you may be able to adjust the rudder pedal throw to get closer to the firewall (if not already there).

You may need to adjust (bend) the rear stick if you move the seat too far aft. Make sure that the stick doesn't hit the seat back. (Duh.)

As others have said, canopy height can vary, but typically that shouldn't be a problem.

YMMV. Enjoy!

To the thread starter, a 6ft 4" Aussie that flies Thrush agg planes in Canada recently got himself and F1 rocket back home in Australia. The seat cushion and seat back should be configurable to handle you in the front.

I think it takes the right personality to enjoy the back seat of any tandem seat AC.
The back seat of a rocket is almost the same as an RV 4 so anything over 5-11 in the back seat is going to be a bit of a gymnastics act getting knees past the front seat back cross member. I have seen really keen flyers as tall as 6ft2" get in one time just because they really wanted a rocket ride.

Cheers Fella's for the replys.
Thats the info I was chasing. My partner is only 5'10.

As for the the Prop being rocket specific - Ill go research that now. That hartzell I thought that was matched to the engine would have been spot on. Anyhow, I'll got do some more reasearch.

Cheers
Lucky

Piece o cake

Order a taller canopy. No extra cost. The newest canopies are taller, but a chat with that vendor can set you on the right path. Vince can help you with this.

The J blade is more for the Glasair 3 speed range, but danged if I can recall what the Rocket blade is...D? Heck , it could be the J, and another for the Glasair...in any case, Hartzell makes a great blended airfoil prop for the Rocket, which is neither the D or the J.

Sounds like you need a Rocket...

Back