What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N159SB /G Oh yeah!

Brantel

Well Known Member
Got my 430W installed and up and running this weekend. N159SB is now a "/G"!

Shot my first LPV approach ever yesterday at KMOR (RNAV-23). This approach is brand new and was only activated during the last cycle.

Way back when, I went ahead and installed a HS34 with my Dynon system to enable future connection to a 430W. This worked out beautifully! The integration of the HS34 to the 430W is super easy to do and works as advertised.

The Dynon AP instantly knows what to do with all that GPS steering info that it gets from the 430W. No changes were required here other than to configure the ARINC channel on the HS34 for the 430W. Just follow the Dynon WIKI for the settings and it works. The AP tracked the GPS steering flawlessly. It is cool watching it cut the corners.

I dropped about 5 gallons of sweat into my airplane during this install as there was much pain and agony under the panel required! Most of the hard work was involved with reworking the audio connections and installing a TX select switch since I do not have an audio panel yet. That will be another massive amount of rework when I get around to installing that.

Started out with the idea of installing cat whiskers on the tail for the NAV side of things but my W&B made me rethink this. I decided to send that back and last week I installed a Bob Archer wingtip antenna in the left wingtip. That thing seems to work very well at around 50miles. I did not check another VOR further than that but I will later. It worked perfectly on the localizer at KMOR. I have not tried the GS yet.

I am waiting on the TT Gemini PFD for a backup EFIS type solution and once I have that, I will call this bird Lite-IFR ready.

Last edited:
Why the need for the audio panel at this point?

The TX switch seems like the best route since most people never use any other feature of the audio panel.

You know, I struggle with this question as well.

I guess for me it is only about a couple things:

1. Resell value since people expect an audio panel in an IFR bird (at this point I can never envision selling)
2. People always asking: Where is your audio panel...when they scope out the panel.
3. It makes the stack look more normal but what is normal?
4. I have to turn the volume knob up and down on the radio I don't want to listen to but this is really no big deal.

You are right, I already have most of the functionality that an audio panel brings to the table. I have an intercom, TX select switch, music inputs, all of my EFIS, GPS etc. connected so it is not like I am giving much up without one.

Oh the mental struggles we go thru...wants vs needs and needs vs wants....

Why the need for the audio panel at this point?

The TX switch seems like the best route since most people never use any other feature of the audio panel.

Wow...that was fast - we just sent you the darn thing mere days ago!! :)

Keep that up and you'll work your way into being an avionics installer...

Anyway, good job getting it going so quickly.

Cheers,
Stein

Back