What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transponder check

FinnFlyer

Well Known Member
Any recommendations for whom to do a 24-month VFR transponder/static check (FAR 91.413) near Gainesville, FL?

I can easily do it myself, but apparently not allowed to. :(

Finn

Jesse Saint and gang - Marion County

I?d imagine Jesse Saint can do it at Marion County (X35)

Unfortunately Jesse says he can't do that check.

Still not sure that I really need it.
"Appendix F to Part 43 - ATC Transponder Tests and Inspections

The ATC transponder tests required by § 91.413 of this chapter may be conducted using a bench check or portable test ..."

It's a factory new Stratus 1090ESG that comes with a FAA Form 8130-3. Presumably it was tested at factory to meet Appendix F requirements.
So I shouldn't really need a new check for another 24 months from the date on the form.

Finn

I’d imagine Jesse Saint can do it at Marion County (X35)

(b)

? 91.413 ATC transponder tests and inspections.

(a) No persons may use an ATC transponder that is specified in 91.215(a), 121.345(c), or ? 135.143(c) of this chapter unless, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the ATC transponder has been tested and inspected and found to comply with appendix F of part 43 of this chapter; and

(b) Following any installation or maintenance on an ATC transponder where data correspondence error could be introduced, the integrated system has been tested, inspected, and found to comply with paragraph (c), appendix E, of part 43 of this chapter.

(c) The tests and inspections specified in this section must be conducted by -

(1) A certificated repair station properly equipped to perform those functions and holding -

(i) A radio rating, Class III;

(ii) A limited radio rating appropriate to the make and model transponder to be tested;

(iii) A limited rating appropriate to the test to be performed;

etc.

paragraph (b) tells the story - after installation, integrated system. That means encoder and antenna and all. I don't think the transponder manufacturer's bench test will make you legal.

Ed Holyoke

Ed and Jim,

I think I've now read all of the transponder check threads.

And, although this is not a "new" installation in terms of cable and antenna, I do believe you're right.

So, any recommendation on where to get it done in North/Central Florida?

Finn

Call Volusia Aviation (386-795-1189), Central Florida Avionics (352-787-0712), Bragg Avionics (904-564-1717) or Southeast Aero (904-824-1899) for the check. Volusia and Bragg might travel to your location or meet you somewhere.

If you wind up doing it at KSGJ, (Volusia, Bragg or SE Aero) let me know and we can meet for lunch.

:cool:

Last edited:
Thank you for all your replies and private messages!

Closest for me will be Quest Avionics in Ocala (OCF).

Scheduled for earliest available time: next Thursday.

I found and fixed my static leak. The plastic T between static ports and static line. Unbelievable that it would start leaking. Tough place to get to: had to remove battery, elevator push rod and bell crank to put a piece of OSB resting on lower longerons to rest my elbows on.

Finn

Back