What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What EGT/CHT combo?

riobison

Well Known Member
As its intermittent at best, I'm going to change out my EGT/CHT combo gauge on my RV4 for another. There's Westach, Alcor, Belite, Electronics Int, Falcon, Insight, MGL, Micro and TL and who know's what else is available. Any recommendations on whose is accurate and reliable. Anything I should stay away from?
Thanks
Tim

Hello Mike,
I'm just looking to do a simple gauge swap and not a panel upgrade. That might happen in the future but not now.
Thanks
Tim

Hi Tim,

Much of GRT's business is full glass panel displays, but the little EIS has been around for over 20 years as a stand-alone engine monitor that can measure everything imaginable for your engine and also some environmental stuff. You can learn more here: http://grtavionics.com/enginemonitor.html

Former aircraft (182) had an Insight GEM and we were very happy with it.

But, as the above posters are saying, the GEM is designed for the certified market and priced accordingly. For the same money you can get a unit designed for the E-AB market which does so much more. In fact for just a bit more money you can get a flat panel display which would display every engine instrument in your plane.

Dynon EMS-D10.

Data logging and all sorts of things.

Just make sure you are not a dog watching TV, which is actually the vast majority of pilots. They do not understand the message the numbers are telling them.

I have to agree that for a little bit more money that I would have a way better system.

However, to do the install on this means cutting up and modifying the panel on the RV 4 and I'm thinking a lot of work. More than a weekend and probably a couple of weeks at least.

We don't have that much good weather here in Western Canada and right now we are coming into the prime flying weather and I don't wish to have the plane down right now. This would be a winter project for sure and going with GRT, Dynon or one of the others is certainly in the back of my mind but for later on.

Thanks

Tim

Just make sure you are not a dog watching TV

C'mon David! We're learning! :)

Woof!

Took a pic the other day simply because of the close CHT spread. 5 degrees.
Happy motor.

1552357145186b5dc89bea.jpg

Sorry for the thread drift. :rolleyes:

If you're replacing a combo gauge that's in a standard 3" hole, I highly recommend the MGL TC-3 gauge. http://www.mglavionics.com/html/velocity_singles.html

I had a Westach 4-cyl EGT gauge, and wanted CHT as well. MGL had the only economical gauge that fit the hole I already had in the panel. After the positive experience with that gauge, I have since bought Fuel and Oil Temp/Press gauges too (in 2" versions).

For a quick, almost "drop-in" upgrade (I had to add CHT probes, so it wasn't completely trivial), I don't think it can be beat. Yes, for a little more money you could get an EMS-D10, or more involved glass that will tell you lots more about your airplane in a prettier instrument, but it does require a much bigger panel upgrade. I want to do the "big glass" upgrade at some point, but don't want to do it yet so this was a great compromise.

Last edited:
My hole is a 2 1/4" but it looks like MGL has one to fit and I can add to it as needed. This might be worth looking at.

Former aircraft (182) had an Insight GEM and we were very happy with it.

But, as the above posters are saying, the GEM is designed for the certified market and priced accordingly. For the same money you can get a unit designed for the E-AB market which does so much more. In fact for just a bit more money you can get a flat panel display which would display every engine instrument in your plane.

The GEMs are now no longer being supported by the factory. No repairs available.

From their web page -

Insight will no longer repair/sell new or refurbished 602, 603 and 610 units.
Putting your money towards upgrading to a G Series engine monitor is a better choice.
Tech support will be available for now.

I am using one and like it, but the experimental all-in-one EMS do much more.

Back