What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When did you order . . .

Freightdawg

Well Known Member
. . . your finishing kit?

We finished the infamous Section 29 a couple of days ago. Looking ahead, I'm wondering when would be a good time to order the finishing kit.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff

We ordered ours about when we finished attaching the tailcone to the fuselage (Section 32?). We were quoted about an 8-week lead time, which ended up being quite accurate (I think it was ordered mid-August and was in our shop by late October 2015... holy cow time flies).

Things do proceed quite a bit faster after the ol' dreaded #29, but unless you work VERY fast, I wouldn't recommend ordering it any earlier than we did. Realistically, in our situation we could have probably waited another couple months or even more before ordering. There is a lot that can be done to the fuselage without the finish kit. That said, it's also nice to have the kit on hand in case you want to do any "sneak-ahead" work while you're waiting on other things.

Happy building!

Last edited:
I have a contrarian view than Mike's -- if you have the space and the cash, go ahead an order it now. I twiddled my thumbs for over 6 months when I ordered my wing kit due to an unexpected kit backlog so I'm of the mind I'd rather have it in my possession waiting on me rather than trying to time the order and subsequent delivery just right and possibly waiting on it. But in the end there's no right or wrong answer. YMMV...

Last edited:
Back