What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show Us Your Nose/Tail Art!

N700jl

John Hubbell.

flag.jpg

Mark Navratil N2D

Thought I'd submit this pic for your Tail Art section. This is from my RV-8A N2D with the T-6A paint scheme. The two big letters are normally used to designate the airbase (i.e. MY for Moody, RA for Randolph, etc.). In this case I used my initials although several people have interpreted it to stand for Minnesota (there are C-130's based at Minneapolis-St. Paul with MN on the tail). This is ok with me as my dad's side of the family is from Minnesota and I happen to love C-130's too. The small letters "05" signify the year of completion (I finished building the plane 12/31/05) and the "583" is the last three digits of the aircraft S/N (which in my case is 80583). The lightning bolt at the top is my own design....many squadrons put some sort of mascot, name or logo in this location on the tail and I just made up my own....the yellow matches the color of the "Rescue" arrows and adds a bit of pizazz to the tail.

--Mark Navratil
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
RV-8A N2D flying 5.5 hrs now!

N2DTailArt.jpg

Kurt Klewin

Tail art inspired from the Montana Air National Guard F-16 unit based in Great Falls, Montana. The mountains to the left represent the mountainous western portion of the state of Montana and as it tapers to the right the high rolling hills of eastern Montana. The Bison Skull was an original design of Charles M. Russell - a famous western artist who used the Montana Bison Symbol on the signature line of many of his paintings. Being a native of Bozeman, Montana I felt this tail art best represented my home state. Paint was done by Gillis Aircraft Painting in Tuttle, Oklahoma and the graphics by Freedom Design.
KurtKlewin.jpg

N425fc

Chuck & Cheryl Kullberg

Here is the finishing touch on my 6A that has been flying for a year and half now and remains to be re-useable! (That's a good thing you know.)

It was painted by R.T. Foster. My wife and I have admired his work for many years now at EAA Oshkosh. He is a remarkable artist.

A little background is in order. Before the RV project was started my wife, and intrepid building assistant, took about five years of ballroom dance instruction. That resulted in a love for dancing, and especially the foxtrot. Also, having the name Charles, many people like to call me Charlie. Foxtrot Charlie seemed to be a good fit. What could be more appropriate than dancing on a cloud with with your soul mate. As for the 425..............well, that's classified. Only my wife will ever know the significance of that.

Safe Flying -

Chuck Kullberg
N425FC 88C, Palmyra, WI
email: rv6a'at'genevaonline.com

N466PG and N707RV

...click images for larger pic

This is the tail art on N466PG, an RV-6 built by Paul Good and now being flown by Dave Gamble.

Here's one from Oshkosh 2005 that I don't think you have.
It's N# is N707RV which is registered to Walter Aronow from Denton, TX
Mark Burns
VAF #250

John Fleurent and Mike Toews

...click images for larger version

Here`s "NOSE ART" on the belly of my RV-8 ---John Fleurent Spruce Creek Fly In ---Daytona Beach , FL.
...sent in by aviateur at prodigy.net

?Supposed? to look like I snagged a flag during an inverted pass.
Mike Toews, MET / AET

Perimeter Aviation Ltd.
Aircraft Design and Certification
Transport Canada Design Approval Representative (DAR)
626 Ferry Rd.
Winnipeg, Mb. Canada
R3H 0T7

ph. (204) 480-4007
fax (204) 783-5587
EMAIL: mike.toews at perimeter.ca
WEB: www.perimeter.ca

Marc Bravo

Here are a couple of shots of my RV-7A tail. I got the aircraft from the paint shop about 3 weeks ago. It was painted by Neal Butterworth out of Lake Wales, FL. and he did a great job. From the paint scheme and tail number I think you can tell what airline I work for. I designed the logo similar to what we have at the airline. Hope you can use the pictures. Later on when I have more time I?ll make up a work-up for your RV of the week.
Fly Safe,
Marc Bravo, RV-7A

Harry Hughes

Attached please find two shots of the nose art on our RV8 as per Mike Kelly?s phone call of this afternoon. The lady is my lovely wife Crystal and the smile on my face is just after the first flight of N241HC.
Regards,
Harry Hughes
Hhughes2 at maine.rr.com

N188PD - The Valkyrie

Here's the newly finished tail of my RV-8. That is the NASA Flight Director insignia, wonderfully reproduced by Grady O'Neal.

fdtailart7zp.jpg

Paul

Last edited:
Object of Desire

Here's the artwork for "Object of Desire". The name has dual meaning... both the plane and my wife Diana, the redhead on the nose. The airbrush work was done by Amy Young in Austin, TX.

newpaint2-885x612.jpg

Last edited:
Screaming Eagle RV7 assembled!!!

Finally this RV7 is assembled, FAA gave airworthiness cert last week, and it should fly this week. This has been a long paint project for me because it was painted in parts, and only some parts at a time. During the construction, some parts would arrive at my shop for paint, one wing (with out the tip) fuselage (with out cowling) etc etc. so this was a bit little tough planning out where the tape lines and striping should be laid out. But i complete all painting tasks early last month, and Friday (the 13th) of October i finally got too see what it looked like assembled. Let me know what you think
Painter John

http://www.airbornekustomz.com/N147RV/N147RV17.JPG
http://www.airbornekustomz.com/N147RV/N147RV18.JPG
http://www.airbornekustomz.com/N147RV/N147RV19.JPG

Texas Tech Fan

Grady O'Neal arranged for a airbrush artist to paint the Texas Tech University Masked Rider on my RV-10. It turned out almost 3D. Since the RV-10 is a real horse I guess I now have two 130HP horses pulling it along (one on each side for 260HP)

my.php

Screaming Eagle RV7

oops
i changed my website so the old links dont work anymore.. Ill try to update them when i find a bad one.

Last edited:
Rough Red's nose art

My son painted the flying wine bottle for a bit of a joke.
As it is hand painted, each side of the cowl is different...but this is good as one can change the colour of the wine when ever the mood takes us!

nose1vg0.jpg

Rough Red
RV-6

Nose Art - where to find it

I have a design, but I need someone to do the finishing touches and then to actually make the nose art the I am looking for. Can someone provide me with a person/company that could help me out?
Thanks,
John

Look locally for an airbrush artist or custom car shop. They will have someone or know of someone who can do it. I researched airbrush artists on the Internet in my area and found numerous people.

Flying C said:
I have a design, but I need someone to do the finishing touches and then to actually make the nose art the I am looking for. Can someone provide me with a person/company that could help me out?
Thanks,
John
Are you wanting to paint it on, or have a decal made? I went with a vinyl decal based on a drawing my dad made:

http://n466pg.blogspot.com/2006/11/its-getting-cold-and-that-means-only.html

If you choose that path, the guy you're looking for is Greg Judy:
http://vinylgraphicsbygreg.com/

If you look at the right-most reflection, you will see where the face on Mars went! I did not notice it when I initially took the picture.

BTW, I searched high and low for this thread about a month ago, and absolutely could not find it, DR, you have any idea why?

Ha! So did I!

It wasn't until Dave scared it up that I was able to find it!

Alex, that apparition COULD BE an alien presence! It could really MEAN SOMETHING!

Sell copies on ebay, become a MILLIONAIRE!

;) CJ

N267RVRendering.jpg
Flying C said:
Thanks,
John
Let me know, i can do a rendining for you, and paint it when your ready

Nose Art

After a year of flying (and 4 1/2 years of hearing "So, what color are you painting it?") I finally settled on a paint scheme that includes some much wanted art for the nose. Thanks to USA Aircraft Refinishing and Chris Cruz Artistry, both located in Deland, Florida for a great job. And, thanks to my terrific wife of 28 years, Sara, whose only condition for allowing me to place a pinup on the cowling was that I name the plane for her.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
John Paulich
N121PR
Naples, Florida
RV7

Thanks!

Thanks For the support guys!! :D The only issue is my lovely wife thinks she does not really look like that sooo.... :rolleyes: .
Anyway the picture is a adaptation of a Dave Stevens piece of art(Dave is the fellow who created the Rocketeer) that was draw for me by RT Foster.
I will post up the whole airplane when she is on for good :D

Nice Critter.

KirkGrovesRV8 said:
Thanks For the support guys!! :D The only issue is my lovely wife thinks she does not really look like that sooo.... :rolleyes: .
Anyway the picture is a adaptation of a Dave Stevens piece of art(Dave is the fellow who created the Rocketeer) that was draw for me by RT Foster.
I will post up the whole airplane when she is on for good :D

Just don't lose that back. I'll be disappointed if you settle for less!

Back