What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UAvionix Echo

redhawk

Well Known Member
I?m considering installing this in my RV3 and just looking for opinions on the Uavionix Echo - EXT ?all in one? system.
Any good/bad things to consider ?
Thanks out there!

I’m considering installing this in my RV3 and just looking for opinions on the Uavionix Echo - EXT “all in one” system.
Any good/bad things to consider ?
Thanks out there!

I have the echoUAT tied to a G400W. I love it. If I didn't have the G400W, I would have bought the all in one system. Super easy install. Something like 3 wires....They were wonderful helping me over the telephone trying to tweak my setting in order to pass the ADSB report requirements. I would buy the echoUAT again today.

Echo

I have an Echo unit, and an old Garmin (GTX327) transponder. It was an easy installation. I use the iFly700 for the traffic display, via WiFi. It works great.

I installed the echo UAT in my RV3 in conjunction with a GRT Sport efis and a GTX 327. My set up was from GRT using their safefly gps.
Install was easy, support from GRT and Uavionics is very good and it works.
So far so good! I would recommend it.

We installed the UAvionix echo with the GRT WS. Install was fairly simple and it works when the transponder is working (separate story) but have had a heck of Time getting it to show on the GRT display. Works great on the iPad though for ADSB in.

I installed the echo UAT in my RV3 in conjunction with a GRT Sport efis and a GTX 327. My set up was from GRT using their safefly gps.
Install was easy, support from GRT and Uavionics is very good and it works.
So far so good! I would recommend it.

I have the identical configuration. Here is an ADS-B shot with the aircraft parked in the hangar with the hangar door open! What a great system!

48635765781_3a852f5e9d_c.jpg
[/url]NEiPMsOVR0mYjBShasdWbQ by Tom Valenzia, on Flickr[/IMG]

I would do it again, but..

In my case, using my iPhone 6s to configure it did not work at first and it cost me $100 at an avionics shop to figure out what was wrong. Search for my previous thread on this if you are curious.

I have the GRT WS and WX and have not yet wired it to them. I get traffic and WX on my iPhone and my CFI's iPad using FlyQ and ForeFlight respectively. No issues there - it just works as soon as you connect the wifi that the device emits.

Since the on-line documentation did, sort of, contain the answer, the burden is on me to be a smarter reader of what I consider poorly organized documentation. It was in an unusual place on the website (FAQ is normally pointed to from a menu and this was not). It is not in the instruction PDF; there is no troubleshooting section. In some but not all cases you have to turn off cellular and bluetooth and all other apps. There does not appear to be any way of knowing in advance which situations require that.

Second issue once that was resolved is that I need to adjust the sensitivity of how it receives the pressure altitude from the GTX 327 transponder (I did not hard wire that and that is supposed to be OK). The page on the configuration app is hidden and it took an email exchange to/from uAvionix to find out even that the "advanced" page exists, let alone what to do. Lacking that adjustment, my unit fails the "public report" for bar altitude reasons.

So there were two time consuming, expensive issues that are probably very easy to fix if only I'd had the information that could have been provided up front.

I am going to make the sensitivity adjustment tomorrow but probably will not be able to test it with the request for public report for at least another week.

I would buy this unit again because I have GRT EFIS's but if you don't care about that then the option direct from uAvionix with their combined GPS and GPS antenna would be just as good and a bit less $$.

I just had my uAvionix Echo installed today by a mechanic. (He installs this brand all the time) I said "how do I check it"? He said just call ATC. So I did, but it failed. Have to take it back to him. But before I do, anybody got any ideas??

I just had my uAvionix Echo installed today by a mechanic. (He installs this brand all the time) I said "how do I check it"? He said just call ATC. So I did, but it failed. Have to take it back to him. But before I do, anybody got any ideas??

Well first, you don?t check it by calling ATC.
So how exactly did you check it, and what exactly failed? Are you talking the ADS-B performance report from the FAA, or did you just call ATC? If you didn?t do a performance report, that?s a great place to start to see if you really did fail.

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprrequest.aspx

Check our this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=1354624

Adjust your transponder threshold down in 100 unit increments and once the transponder populates its squawk code to the app, you should be ready for your flight, and should end up with a passing report.

Well first, you don’t check it by calling ATC.
So how exactly did you check it, and what exactly failed? Are you talking the ADS-B performance report from the FAA, or did you just call ATC? If you didn’t do a performance report, that’s a great place to start to see if you really did fail.

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprrequest.aspx

I just said" (to the mechanic) I see guys (who know what they're doing) here on VAF getting feedback from the FAA on whether it failed or passed. He told me, all I gotta do is call ATC. So I got up to some 4000 FT., called them, they said squawk 0137 and ident. So I did, they dutifully pinpointed my location with radar, but said nothing coming from my uAvionix. Then they tried a 2ed method, but that revealed nothing also.
As you guys in the know reading this can tell, I don't know beans about any of this.:confused: PS SPX, Josh, I started to fill out this: Public ADS-B Performance Report Request, but then at the bottom, it wanted my mechanics personal name. I'm afraid of stepping on toes. Let me talk to him personally first,---but nonetheless, thank you for making me aware of this form. I'll get back to you guys when I find something out. (Could be lotsa other non-builders out there who need this help also.)

Last edited:
Setup options are critical

The setup options on the Echo are required. I have installed several of these for friends and can help. I'm on the Falcon RV email list. You can email me there, here or just PM. I'm local as well.

Maj

I installed the echoUAT and SkyFYX in my -4 last November. It took a couple of test flights to get a clean PAPR. It turned out that I had incorrectly set some parameters in the iPad app. A couple of calls to the uAvionix folks fixed it. The customer support is excellent. I would talk with them and follow their suggestions over your mechanic?s or anyone?s on this forum - especially me!:)
Good luck

I installed the echoUAT and SkyFYX in my -4 last November. It took a couple of test flights to get a clean PAPR. It turned out that I had incorrectly set some parameters in the iPad app. A couple of calls to the uAvionix folks fixed it. The customer support is excellent. I would talk with them and follow their suggestions over your mechanics or anyone?s on this forum - especially me!:)
Good luck

Put one in my -8A. Install was easy. Hardest part was finding a place for the antenna that was 1m away from the antennas I already had.

Passed the FAA test on the first flight, have run it in anonymous mode ever since. I wasn't getting any ADSB-in information until I downloaded the latest version of Avare to the cheap pre-paid android I am using. Now can see the traffic.

Posted previously........

Finished up my echoUAT+SkyFYX-EXT install on my RV-8. I am not a fan of long expensive coax runs so I installed both the echoUAT transceiver and the antenna on the left inboard wing inspection panel. The ADSB antenna is 5+ feet from the transponder antenna and 3+ feet from my comm antenna. There are no obstructions between the ADSB and transponder antenna.

The SkyFYX GPS receiver was installed on the rear turtledeck. I used 20 gauge shielded twisted pair for the entire install. I purchased the SMA right angle male to BNC righ angle male pigtail on ebay for less than $10.

I'm running a Garmin 327 GTX and a Dynon D100 EFIS. Nothing hardwired to the Garmin or Dynon. I had to tweak the transponder threshold parameters via the app to get it reporting at 100%. I get a strong WiFi signal in the cockpit and the ADSB-in works effortlessly with my panel mounted IFly 740. Overall a great value and easy install.

B5m0E0X04ACdf6cbkXS6BJ52PUxQFnJULGp00NeETGoWR5MPfouMFItpnkUNCQxLgIDbo_BIWtbxlplbH3y79krT-HSYNnigladhjA_7dZ2wyikgiOUGC7lls8d6s6lsDADrOTQNr_rT8yvIDbaDukmVkHmEZtbuMMc8UbTzH4Dae1vGdhlVqUzrSKgxlMhR64ETmCkqqkSPZKnqRRVZnV2W_M35S5zQiZKL_4LebfercUtrjR23zXIPfZRhffw84dVc4MSyXSlButyS3Qnu0UcfI4esZ7U29I0ZcSuRW-DiszsYE0jaVy1Z3G-fZlDt-RXJ_6a_TsqnZQUio41wKyiZL5FshHov5_anYGFSjeKH3oyq_BRq4IcRLSo-BeCPvp_2aKqfSJfSVAtYwhkISL_ytDzvBALcOLU5qzJjN7-k-MK3L_oxZiJaDY_z0NFPpqyfamUqE9DPSSND1a-H8wm0IZnCsAf_fDp6q51HKLLHg0uLO8xHddkdASQTCM0Bf1h9FYYOHKqcUltfs8KqbochiyvVRDJD-SUvlTNzca-oCKpl37sQQB2fX3hTF6LZmrnYvgSPFzueCZjz7G_vg3XJqtrQzcqot9ml-Ou-nz_1pcam-oDVXn3hgG3il4tzgRDUg4muWwaliMLSmjuwa1fmwU6Kl1Bq=w640-h480-no

1rdQqa9HiFh2HVNBfHLX7wpD2V1UOdguC_-g0C3dqlbf-Qq7uKTtt3d9B8q2ZlGco1pNwUmDaM6key08wZZ7m8r2jxDSjX2Ti1cP2e8_-nN51hZ-OXgAin-iDP6vTLPEI2ngvpyB2szDe-5ur-G1UKpUHyIE7Lhn_Rtdz4ul2YHNmzzv3O-xFGRj3_Xo4XPYY3qn1Pmy43yHkTa2k4gPfyv89rQue3g49ASNLSt_ZJCWFmq8SPBXd2k7KaJBhoVYMIat2HRjm3okAjkclGtvXxK1za3MDj-t8PahqclfdX6nA10gWcgsFrNQGvhTFEbmXvU_wGYV8vAZ4SbUpALV483xKvKtwLXJr2BVSbv9YvLQhOGvpIJf7VLIV0DoYgxw1pPVWi8dg1XDVpGSU683y3WPYHOStq5z_5Vx1VTSAD6ip_Sw29nkAvPlzzcpTqcECImKhwe1qSIGM_GKfUkGvu3cz1vcOpOCvQU_2IGT1-13z4TbO2XdWH0NvdinFMuKgNZ7Ych_EtiYMuNDT1yqHziwO2-ttqeTjCk_Z59sK9hDLhziYJRlq41sIki9KK50ME0CC_YSPj6hxKD_ZysEtZf_ELbWIqKwGP21_zandGi5ni16HTT8oUPRKPfrUdHOrjHuKlv3ki9ZjY3DoJWloBWV_n2T5qpX=w640-h480-no

4u6RJFr2bgt2Rod5_QMvT0yuNdB5zuJAqi8Y2dUQRvLtv9aBlvWuXHkSW3SqhVIuR2e5lmsXFpGq6uq7uG7aHJiJBCgFF0ocz1Ci-uREsqdChcV6CNaj7zlVVVQ-l7sbKfFZ08sjRZGeRRU5lRKFhn-Vn98FH-qzjt5s3YJOYoY06gOkLHPWihxYx8DkLn5Mv3cOSbaYqCP-1ahJdZvTtcSYojWJ24nuCO25bZNtaIgzbqeDaLeUu9faSFSVo3C2bIKivxeyz4sndJclxQclTIQ78kap0QnRmEr3GEw8fInl2eRkqrvgvRtpGYgqkiYXjDM34y3JNzDs-IxwcAP-ALF3sd-UQvkfTyzMXk0JlxbYz8XOXBvnu--QY4uECdTEjCFaUFEdBgXMzKCHdLQFr-DHSWwDY5lUSanQbV69tVcGvBKM3flkxT2Trb1wxxig3plBHvjd7sxzgbSRQ7H8w2fiqFZtFmOUI2rwC4vD4Amn1d0UXjUN5iRhZKtjGNskvevHk7WbZFLk3EtScRyAUUtF92S8Lx7hsDsCImWqh6N-cx3j2vU9vk-KUDhHIUwGwo4m-SzWBl1Jeg8GCJOidj6QKD868106Ft6Byr0gPbVzfYXh0FcBeY3kzD3QI4vY93YStlyhjdgLEGgjG44ngXS7lrRswvqq=s640-no

We installed an EchoUAT and SkyFyx in our RV-12. Once I got the threshold value set right, the FAA has been happy with it. I Just completed a test flight with our new iFly GPS, and it's happy with it as well. So we're happy with it. All in all, I'd say everyone is happy with it. :)

Installed an EchoUAT and a SkyFX-EXT in my RV-6 about a year ago. After a couple of setup ""tweaks" it has been flawless. I get a PAPR (ADS-B performance report) every now and then to make sure all is well.

Very pleased with uAvionix.

I installed the echouat-ext as well. Mine is tied to the dynon for alt, and the gtx-330 for squawk via the uavionics serial multipler they provided at no charge. I have the box and antenna mounted in the right wing access panel. PAPR report came back clean. I am using a samsung galaxy tab A with the adventure pilot software. I had no problems with the configuration and the traffic display is working great. Everything connects right away.

Colin,

The WiFi connection is good from the wing location? How strong is the signal? That wing panel sounds like a great location if the WiFi is sufficient.

Colin,

The WiFi connection is good from the wing location? How strong is the signal? That wing panel sounds like a great location if the WiFi is sufficient.

I dont recall how many bars offhand, but more than enough. I havent had any wifi issues with my phone or tablet, on the ram mount, or in my lap.

Uavionix Echo/Skyfyx

Installed my Echo/Skyfyx-Ext. Install straightforward as well as configuration setup but ... My flight report came up with ?Baro Alt? failure 2 flights in a row. I lowered ?Transponder Threshold ? in Advanced settings to 1475 but got same exact result.
Has anyone had this issue and found a way to correct the error?
Thanks out there.

May have to go lower than 1475

I just helped a friend solve the BARO ALT error being the only fault. Discussion with tech support at Uavionics revealed you can continue to lower the sensitivity number. There are cases it needed to be as low as 900 but that is uncommon. Unfortunately, the other issue to be considered is your Mode C might be at fault. We found his blind encoder to be faulty. Replacing that solved the issue even with the sensitivity back at 1500. Your Mode C can be checked by asking for a verification of altitude being broadcast from any ATC facility.

Echo

Think I?ll lower it one more time from 1475 to 1300, then consider a encoder issue. I wonder how many times you can fail a Performance Report before the FAA sends out a nasty- gram ?

I was just told to lower mine to 1100. This got rid of the mode 3A problem, but I still have "Baro Alt". Will take the advice on calling ATC for an actual altitude vs what my 327 is saying. We'll see.

I was just told to lower mine to 1100. This got rid of the mode 3A problem, but I still have "Baro Alt". Will take the advice on calling ATC for an actual altitude vs what my 327 is saying. We'll see.

Told by whom? uAvionix?

I may be wrong but I think in this case that "baro altitude" is pressure altitude where the other choice is GPS or geometric altitude.

KT76A same...threshold set to 1100

Before I can get a squawk to show on monitor.

I too have had to move to Threshold setting of 1100 to get squawk and pressure attitude on the monitor page. Have flown several times now and seems reliable, set up was a breeze once I found out how to access the advanced settings (touch the logo), which I could not find in either the on-line or provided documentation.

Anyone know what this setting actually does and whether there is any consequence to ?too low? of a threshold setting? Asked that on a support email and did not get a response.

ADSB-out Report... Uavionix Echo

Moved my "Transponder Threshold" down to 1300 in Advanced Settings, and it passed with flying colors today on the flight test. I also made my flight within the Mode C veil of DEN 1000' higher than my previous 2 flights... this might have helped too but can't be sure.

Echo

I have had the installation since March and I always get baro failure from my home airport, Fredericksburg, Tx. I can get in on the ground but out fails. We live in a black hole. I depart an airport in class B and it will pass every time. It also fails at low altitude in Wyoming and Montana. This isn?t a perfect system from the governments installations.

Uavionics has software updates available that they told me were to fix bugs related to baro reporting issues among other things.
I was having occasional ghosting issues that the updates seem to have resolved.

Antenna location - is 2 feet enough?

I bought a Uavionix Echo and will get my avionics guy to install it in a few weeks. My transponder antenna is just about centered under the belly, and my radio antenna is about 5 ft back from that on the belly under the area where the rear bulkhead is. I don't really have an area that is 3 feet away from the antennas on the belly of my 6A for the ADS-B antenna. The wing root fairing is 2 feet away from the transponder antenna.. is this the best place? Is 2 feet away good enough? or should I just plan on trying to install in the wing inspection cover further out the wing?

my EchoUAT installation and test experience

I installed an EchoUAT/SkyFYX in my RV-3 early this year. My transponder antenna is located on the belly just aft of the baggage compartment. Comm antenna is under the pilot seat. Following the uAvionix install instructions, I put the ADSB monopole antenna in the aft lower tailcone, and ran a 100" coax cable to the baggage compartment to the EchoUAT, which is mounted on the battery box just behind the pilot seat. I mounted the SkyFYX fwd of the instrument panel under the canopy for unobstructed sky view - it's white so I covered it with a black cloth to cut glare.

I have an old King KT-76A transponder, so I needed to choose a "transponder threshold" value in the EchoUAT setup. The uAvionix support person explained that choosing a number for this is similar to tuning an old radio to an AM/FM station: one point in the range will be the best for your installation. After much experimentation (and "red flags" on my PAPR reports), 1100 turned out to be my best number.

My home airport has an ADSB ground station, so testing my installation involved flying increasing distances away, then getting the PAPR report later on and seeing if there were any "red flags". After a series of flights at increasing distances (and adjusting the transponder threshold value accordingly), I got over the horizon and with a mountain range inbetween me and the closest ground station - I'll get non-zero MCF numbers ("Maximum Consecutive Failures"), but not enough to create red-flags on the reports.

My RV-3 cockpit is pretty snug, and panel space is limited, so for ADSB-IN, I place my iPhone on the canopy rail and bring up ForeFlight. In the "maps" feature of the display, one can see other ADSB-equipped airplanes. Zooming in, aircraft nearby are easy to notice. One needs to be judicious in dividing time between looking at the display and looking out the window, but in the few months I've had the installation, I've turned off course several times when the ADSB-IN flashed its warning messages of another aircraft on converging course. Each time, once I got eyes on them, I got an "aha, there they are!" experience. A couple times, I've had radio exchanges with other pilots only referencing our positions via ADSB. In saturated environments, such as in a busy traffic pattern, its best to keep attention looking out the window, but brief glances at the display are useful.

- Steven
(1300 RV hours - another one yesterday!)

(The above description is highly specific to MY airplane. Your ADSB installation and experience will be highly idiosyncratic to YOUR airplane. The uAvionix technical support is the best source of information for the EchoUAT installation. I offer the above to the community merely as my experience in becoming ADSB compliant.)

I bought a Uavionix Echo and will get my avionics guy to install it in a few weeks. My transponder antenna is just about centered under the belly, and my radio antenna is about 5 ft back from that on the belly under the area where the rear bulkhead is. I don't really have an area that is 3 feet away from the antennas on the belly of my 6A for the ADS-B antenna. The wing root fairing is 2 feet away from the transponder antenna.. is this the best place? Is 2 feet away good enough? or should I just plan on trying to install in the wing inspection cover further out the wing?

Brian I am in same situation as you and all has been fine. Transponder right side under rudder pedals, one of two com antennas under seat center line, ADSB antenna just aft of rear baggage bulkhead right side, comm2 aft of ADSB centerline. I may be over 2 but surely not 3 feet from comm antennas. About 7 ft from transponder .

uAvionix Echo finally passed

Went out flying today, two legs---to test codes in my uAvionix Echo. I had thought one had to put in codes (on the uAvionix Echo App on my smart phone) in multiples of 100's, ie, 1200 to 1100.---then I was told otherwise) ) Well I put in either 1181 or 1186---woulda been nice if I had written it down:(---and that passed with a .07% fail (no red box) on the Baro Alt, and zero fail on my Mode 3A. On the way home, I had put in 1188, and while that number is very close to the 1181, or 1186, it failed. Gave me a 2.14% fail on the Baro Alt, and zero on the Mode 3A.

Last edited:
threshold value necessary?

just finished installing an echo/GRT Safefly unit late yesterday and have configuration questions. I know I can get answers to these next week from Uavionix but would really like to try this thing out this weekend.

First of all, the "advanced" settings menu in the app isn't even mentioned (and is, in fact, sort of hidden) in the documentation, so am I expected to try it without putting values in these spots?

And what are "SDA" and "SIL" and where do I find values for them? The app does make suggestions ("e.g.") for the values so is that what y'all are using?And then there's the often-discussed transponder threshold which is also not mentioned in the manual.

Sorry if this has been answered before but my searching just couldn't pull it up. I just find it very curious that Uavionix chooses to not mention these settings.

thx

just finished installing an echo/GRT Safefly unit late yesterday and have configuration questions. I know I can get answers to these next week from Uavionix but would really like to try this thing out this weekend.

First of all, the "advanced" settings menu in the app isn't even mentioned (and is, in fact, sort of hidden) in the documentation, so am I expected to try it without putting values in these spots?

And what are "SDA" and "SIL" and where do I find values for them? The app does make suggestions ("e.g.") for the values so is that what y'all are using?And then there's the often-discussed transponder threshold which is also not mentioned in the manual.

Sorry if this has been answered before but my searching just couldn't pull it up. I just find it very curious that Uavionix chooses to not mention these settings.

thx

First of all, the "advanced" settings menu in the app isn't even mentioned (and is, in fact, sort of hidden) in the documentation, so am I expected to try the unit without putting values in these spots?

thx

My advice, which worked for me when I reached a roadblock, was to take the flight report and email it to uAvionix. They were extremely helpful and we got it right with a couple of adjustments. As I recall, if you go to their website, there is a place to do feedback and to place an attachment. I saved the report as a PDF and it worked easily. I struggled with it longer than I needed to. Be sure that you know the settings that it is set to so they will be able to give you better advice.
Good luck.
John

Adv settings

Robert D. The advance settings are usually addressed on advice of Uavionics staff. I entered nothing in Sda and Sil. The transponder threshold is usually lowered to make the sensitivity higher in sniffing out what your transponder is reporting eg altitude and sqwK. If you are wired to your transponder this threshold would have no effect. Most alter when getting errors on baro altitude or sqwk on performance report.

First of all, the "advanced" settings menu in the app isn't even mentioned (and is, in fact, sort of hidden) in the documentation, so am I expected to try the unit without putting values in these spots?

thx

Oh, and one more thing. ( I'm sure you know this---but just in case---you have to be sitting in your cockpit for the double touch on your app to read the unit, otherwise you'll get all zero's) Oh, and one more thing--make sure after you hit SDA, SIL, or Transponder threshold, you also hit "Update Advanced" ( OK, I don't know what happened here, but on an "edit" the paragraph is supposed to be last.)

Hopefully I can help a little bit here. First of all, you have to "touch" the word "echo" on the app on your smart phone with 2 fingers. This will make a whole bunch of information, (down lower on the screen) pop up. The mechanic who installed my Echo, got all these setup numbers from talking to uAvionix. I think you'l have to get the SDA and SIL from them. The "transponder threshold", you'll have to play with "while" you're airborne. I found that 1186 or 1184 works for me. Before that, I was getting "Baro Alt, and Mode 3A failures wrapped up in a red box. (If you don't already know, send you reports here after you finish flying---that's where you get your pass/fail reports from) https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprrequest.aspx

As I adjusted my "Transponder Threshold", I got rid of the Mode 3A box, but I kept getting the "Baro ALt" failure in a red box. The guy at uAvionix said "that" meant I was below radar coverage. They have some sort of map for the whole United States that shows how low radar coverage goes. When I told him where I went, down in the boonies of SE Georgia, he said below 1500 FT, I had no radar coverage, and thus the Baro Alt failure.

OK-------------So yesterday, I flew from KLZU to KCHA Chattanooga a class C airport. I literally had radar coverage from the ground on takeoff to the ground on landing. I used a "Transponder threshold of 1186 going, and 1184 coming back. Got a perfect score of 0.00% failure on the Baro Alt, and obviously no red box. So I'm finally done dickin with mine.:):) Hope this helps.

Oh, and I see you're practically my neighbor in N Carolina. Fly to some class c airport (I dunno about CLT, that's a class B--they'll be awfully busy.) (Try KGSP or maybe KGSO. The class C guys are much easier to deal with then the class B guys I find.) Try to take off from an airport with a "very very" low to the ground radar coverage

Last edited:
Oh, and one more thing. ( I'm sure you know this---but just in case---you have to be sitting in your cockpit for the double touch on your app to read the unit, otherwise you'll get all zero's) Oh, and one more thing--make sure after you hit SDA, SIL, or Transponder threshold, you also hit "Update Advanced" ( OK, I don't know what happened here, but on an "edit" the paragraph is supposed to be last.)

Hopefully I can help a little bit here. First of all, you have to "touch" the word "echo" on the app on your smart phone with 2 fingers. This will make a whole bunch of information, (down lower on the screen) pop up. The mechanic who installed my Echo, got all these setup numbers from talking to uAvionix. I think you'l have to get the SDA and SIL from them. The "transponder threshold", you'll have to play with "while" you're airborne. I found that 1186 or 1184 works for me. Before that, I was getting "Baro Alt, and Mode 3A failures wrapped up in a red box. (If you don't already know, send you reports here after you finish flying---that's where you get your pass/fail reports from) https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprrequest.aspx

As I adjusted my "Transponder Threshold", I got rid of the Mode 3A box, but I kept getting the "Baro ALt" failure in a red box. The guy at uAvionix said "that" meant I was below radar coverage. They have some sort of map for the whole United States that shows how low radar coverage goes. When I told him where I went, down in the boonies of SE Georgia, he said below 1500 FT, I had no radar coverage, and thus the Baro Alt failure.

OK-------------So yesterday, I flew from KLZU to KCHA Chattanooga a class C airport. I literally had radar coverage from the ground on takeoff to the ground on landing. I used a "Transponder threshold of 1186 going, and 1184 coming back. Got a perfect score of 0.00% failure on the Baro Alt, and obviously no red box. So I'm finally done dickin with mine.:):) Hope this helps.

Oh, and I see you're practically my neighbor in N Carolina. Fly to some class c airport (I dunno about CLT, that's a class B--they'll be awfully busy.) (Try KGSP or maybe KGSO. The class C guys are much easier to deal with then the class B guys I find.) Try to take off from an airport with a "very very" low to the ground radar coverage

this definitely helps. I wasn't sure what sort of a touch shows the advanced settings, it just sort of happened.

I'm close to KGSO, and they're user-friendly. Just to be clear, I need to be under their flight following (squawking their code) and fly for at least 30 minutes. That sound right?

this definitely helps. I wasn't sure what sort of a touch shows the advanced settings, it just sort of happened.

I'm close to KGSO, and they're user-friendly. Just to be clear, I need to be under their flight following (squawking their code) and fly for at least 30 minutes. That sound right?

Yeah, with a class C, you've gotta call for permission to enter their airspace, BEFORE you actually enter. I assume you have a GPS that shows exactly where their airspace starts. Then they'll give you a code other than 1200, and probably headings to fly--just like the airlines. Print yourself up one of those kneeboard size airport charts from AOPA's website. Then you'll be able to see all the frequencies at a glance, rather than fooling with your GPS unit. Get the ATIS "before" you call approach control. And you'll also see all their approach freqs on that chart ahead of time. Makes life a lot easier. I don't know about the 30 minutes, but that, as a minimum sounds good to me. I went up to 8500 Ft to chattanooga, and 9500 Ft coming back home. About an hour each way.

When you send your flights to that FAA ADS B website I gave you, it asks if you flew multiple flights. Have a kneeboard in flight with you, and about half way thru your flight, WRITE down the zulu time. (Plus 4 hours from N. carolina) You "must" put that zulu time in when you send in your report, so it knows what time to look at you. Example, 19:35 if its 15:35 N carolina time. Do the exact same thing coming back with whatever the zulu time is for "that" leg. Then you send in 2 reports with the 2 different zulu times. You'll get 2 reports back. Go nice and high each leg, to make sure you have radar coverage. How far is your home airport from KGSO?

I see you've got a GRT something. I've just got a garmin 327 transponder, and the uAvionix just "sniffs" the pressure altitude on my transponder. Put your code in before you takeoff. uAvionix said watch the "Altitude Pressure" on the monitor side of your phone. It should smoothly follow the pressure altitude on your transponder. If its jerky, you've got the wrong code. If you're holding your phone by hand, and have no autopilot, things might get interesting. If you've got something to hold your phone--better. When you get to altitude, stay right on it smoothly, as best you can.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I need to be under their flight following (squawking their code) and fly for at least 30 minutes. That sound right?

No. To generate a report you should be in ?rule? airspace - airspace where, by rule, adsb-out will be required in Jan. I flew above 10000?, and inside a Mode C veil, but never talked to anyone, and squawked 1200 the whole time. Got a report and a rebate just fine. Turn anonymous mode off.

Nit-pick

Yeah, with a class C, you've gotta call for permission to enter their airspace, BEFORE you actually enter.

You "must" put that zulu time in when you send in your report, so it knows what time to look at you. Example, 19:35 if its 15:35 N carolina time. Do the exact same thing coming back with whatever the zulu time is for "that" leg.

Strictly speaking, you don?t need to ask permission to enter class C, you just need to be in communication with ATC. I?ve heard a few controllers get a little irate, especially if someone asks for a ?clearance? to enter C. (OTOH, a clearance is needed for class B).

Note that if your zulu time is past midnight, you also have to set the date to ?tomorrow?.

Back