What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X touch panel installation

Elwell81

1e80889e-7a25-4a02-a5e6-aa2733e688b8_zps7f867cab.jpg

Just got everything installed for the final time! Looking forward to getting the plane done so I can use all of this stuff.

Almost exactly what I'm playing around with. Would you mind posting some more detailed pics? How did the install go?

Closer Pictures

Almost exactly what I'm playing around with. Would you mind posting some more detailed pics? How did the install go?

11878128-F18E-4748-9497-1A7A542217FA_zpsb83jmjdg.jpg

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums...B-6866-4A7F-A3D8-6CBBCECC36B0_zps0mfxo2gk.jpg
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums...D-8110-4317-AF9D-6E221D6F497B_zpsjdltgrwm.jpg

Here are a couple closer pics. My system includes the following:

G3X touch PFD and MFD
PMA8000BT audio panel
GTN-650
GMC-305 AP controller
Roll and Pitch GSA-28's
Dual ADHARS
GTR-20 remote com
GTX-23ES remote transponder
VP-X Pro
Aero 455 pulse oximeter/CO monitor

It was very straight forward to install, I had Steinair draw up a schematic when I bought all of the components. The hardest thing for me was deciding where to mount things behind the panel and also behind the baggage bulkhead. I see you are in Madison, your more than welcome to come up to Green Bay and have a look.
Let me know if you have any more questions

Thanks, I might take you up on that.

Do you have a backup/emergency bus? How did you lay it out?
Dual magnetometer? I/m curious what functionality we loose if the magnetometer goes out.

Thanks for the compliments

Do you have a backup/emergency bus? How did you lay it out?
Dual magnetometer? I/m curious what functionality we loose if the magnetometer goes out.

I have the TCW backup battery (6 amp hour if I recall), wired as shown in the G3X install manual. It connects to the secondary power inputs for the PFD, MFD, GEA 24 and a GSU 25. My plan is to switch on the emergency buss for engine start (Avionic switch off) and leave it on for the entire flight. With the input to the TCW programmed (from VP-X) to turn on with the avionics switch, the TCW outputs will be shut off once it sees sufficient primary battery voltage and will only turn back on in a low voltage scenario. Here is a picture of where I mounted it.

09A18935-6680-4ACF-84E7-CD0D26D4177D_zpsb6wox5zk.jpg

I only have a single magnetometer, that's one reason for the Mini-B as backup. I haven't calibrated the magnetometer yet and the only thing I see missing is a heading reading (red X), there may be other things missing as well. The G3X manual is pretty good about explaining what sensors/inputs are required for certain functions.

GMU-22 Install location?

I am installing my G3X system and appreciate the photos you have of your install. I have a request for a photo of how and where you installed your GMU-22 magnetometer. My panel was just delivered last Thursday and while I am out of town, I am trying to layout my install. Your photos are a great help. Thanks

No Picture right now

Sorry, I just left for work today and won't get back until the 17th of December.

I would be more than happy to get a picture when I get back but its a pretty easy explanation. Basically in the aft deck under the fairing, its the recommended location on page A-3 of the G3X install manual.

Here is where I put the rest of my components.

7A2E034F-3D07-4694-AF43-B571E5113FFC_zps6esd0gkp.jpg

79BA8090-D4E1-4218-AD0D-1F47804DC205_zpsm27ilmqe.jpg

Back