What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: 3d Printed Accessories

dtw_rv6

Well Known Member
Here are a few of my 3d printed accessories - all in polycarbonate and printed on my home brewed Prusa i3 style printer. 3d modelling is in solid works, and I use both Cura and Slic3r to output the machine codes:

1. This is my overengineered drink caddy. It also includes pockets for sunglasses, two usb thumb drives, and a miscellaneous slot that I use for keys and/or usb cables. The vise grips were for a temporary fit up. I've replaced it with 2x #8 screws/platenuts since this photo was taken.

open

2. Replacement battery box for my EarthX. On top of the weight savings of dumping my PC680, I realized that the aluminum box that came with my -6 kit weighs a lot too. This one checks in at around 1 pound.

open

3. Bose headset volume controller cradle. I fastened this to the side of the cockpit. The arm hanging off to the side is just big enough to hang the headset on when I'm getting in and out of the cockpit. I mount it just under the panel elevation so I don't snag it on my leg. I also have one for my Zulu headset. The controller easily comes out for battery changes:

open

Last edited:
I have a lot of fun playing with the 3d printer, it also really can push a guy close to insanity.

I have a lot of fun playing with the 3d printer, it also really can push a guy close to insanity.

I never really thought I had ADD until I installed a camera on my printer for controlling it remotely. I'm usually watching it on my laptop out of the corner of my eye when eating dinner or watching the evening news. I used to do it because I hadn't learned how to reliably get good bed adhesion, but now it's just mesmerizing to watch my parts growing out of the nozzle. :D

I built this printer after I convinced myself that I really didn't need a used bridgeport and lathe in my basement for making this type of stuff from metal. In the end I think I made a good choice. The printer is much simpler, quieter, and cleaner to have in the house. Not sure my wife fully appreciates that though :p

Don

3D challenge

nice work Don.

I have an antenna that looks like this.

AV-529.jpg

How can I make it look more like this and gain a few knots?

AVT-4s.jpg

or this?

11-02768.jpg

Last edited:
nice work Don.

I have an antenna that looks like this.

AV-529.jpg

How can I make it look more like this and gain a few knots?

AVT-4s.jpg

or this?

11-02768.jpg

Good idea Steve maybe if you would model the antenna that you have then give it some Clarence and make a fairing in the shape that you want around it. Basically a hollow fairing slipped over the existing antenna and use the same mount holes to secure it.

Last edited:
didn't find much. not much of sweep on this antenna.

I'm on the road & can't find the reference, but take an imaginary slice through the antenna shaft, normal to the air flow. It will yield a section fairly close to a streamline, or teardrop, without the pointed tail. Not perfect, but much lower drag than a cylinder. IIRC, that's why they are swept.

ok, I understand the concept. thanks.

data from the website.
first antenna
The antenna is designed to operate at speeds up to 350 mph and altitudes of 50,000 ft. It has a drag force of 3.43 lb @ 250 mph

second antenna
The antenna is designed to operate at speeds up to 350 mph and altitudes of 50,000 ft. It has a drag force of 0.85 lb. @ 250 mph.

I looked at putting fairings on my TEDs antennas. I modeled a couple of shapes, but never printed anything. Most antennas use the mounting surface as a ground plane, so the fairing has to encapsulate the antenna and be fastened to the airframe. I wasn't crazy about putting more holes in the exterior of my fuselage.

The fairing assembly would also need to be sealed against moisture ingress. 3d printed parts are not usually air tight, and I can only imagine that a shell around an antenna would create a place for water (and critters) to wreak all kinds of havoc.

A printed part might be suitable for testing various geometries, but longer term use presents quite a few problems that I didn't want to deal with.

Don

Bose headset volume controller cradle....

Can you make these in a Left and Right? I would buy a set!

I have a PRUSA style printer as well and have been making all sorts of things with it for around the house. I gone through miles of filament so far and my print time is somewhere around 20 days, I have only had it for 2.5 months...haha.

All this antenna talk has given me some great ideas for the plane. I think my X-Ponder antenna is about to get and upgrade. I may just print a mold and make the part from fiberglass, we'll see.

Next, I want to try using a printed part in place of wax for a lost-wax type aluminum casting.

3. Bose headset volume controller cradle. I fastened this to the side of the cockpit. The arm hanging off to the side is just big enough to hang the headset on when I'm getting in and out of the cockpit. I mount it just under the panel elevation so I don't snag it on my leg. I also have one for my Zulu headset. The controller easily comes out for battery changes:

open

Willing to share these files?

Let me draw up a set of left and right handed for the zulu and the bose.

I don't have any other headsets so these are all I can provide.

Here are a few of my 3d printed accessories - all in polycarbonate and printed on my home brewed Prusa i3 style printer. 3d modelling is in solid works, and I use both Cura and Slic3r to output the machine codes:

1. This is my overengineered drink caddy. It also includes pockets for sunglasses, two usb thumb drives, and a miscellaneous slot that I use for keys and/or usb cables. The vise grips were for a temporary fit up. I've replaced it with 2x #8 screws/platenuts since this photo was taken.

open

2. Replacement battery box for my EarthX. On top of the weight savings of dumping my PC680, I realized that the aluminum box that came with my -6 kit weighs a lot too. This one checks in at around 1 pound.

open

open

FWIW, all three of these links are dead now.

Idea

Anyone doing spats for the hinges on the RV-10 flaps? Looks like an area just begging for some articulated fairings.

Back