What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing tailcone

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Once the tailcone is finished, is there any reason why the control surfaces need to be mounted at this point as the instructions indicate?

The reason I ask is because once the top skin is added, it's a little harder to move the operation.

Against my better judgement, I left the structure on the 36" sawhorses called for in the plans. That's high, man.

At some point, obviously, it's going to be mated with the fuselage, but who knows what height the fuselage will be at and moving the tailcone around (nothing to really hold onto at the forward end once the top skin is attached) would seem more difficult than just waiting to add the control surfaces until later.

On the other hand there's a 12 week delay in wing shipments and mine won't be arriving until late May and I suppose it's something to do.

What say you?

I would leave the tail feathers off for the time being until the fuselage and tail cone have been mated and the fuselage is on the gear.

However, I would suggest going through the process of doing the trial fit of the stabilator so you can record in the prints which washers were necessary to obtain the proper fit. Doing this will come in handy later when actually installing the stabilator onto the tail cone.

I made low workbenches on wheels which really came in handy mating the stabilator .... just placed a concrete block under the nose wheel to lower the tailcone to the workbench that had the stabilator in position. Made some minor positioning adjustments, inserted the washers using blue painters tape and a thin metal rule to tweak the washers position and inserted bolts ... had to do it from below though ... as it is much much easier than trying to do it from above leaning way over the stabilator.

Happy building,

Last edited:
I would leave the tail feathers off for the time being until the fuselage and tail cone have been mated and the fuselage is on the gear.

However, I would suggest going through the process of doing the trial fit of the stabilator so you can record in the prints which washers were necessary to obtain the proper fit. Doing this will come in handy later when actually installing the stabilator onto the tail cone.

I made low workbenches on wheels which really came in handy mating the stabilator .... just placed a concrete block under the nose wheel to lower the tailcone to the workbench that had the stabilator in position. Made some minor positioning adjustments, inserted the washers using blue painters tape and a thin metal rule to tweak the washers position and inserted bolts ... had to do it from below though ... as it is much much easier than trying to do it from above leaning way over the stabilator.

Happy building,

What he said except I didn't bother building low workbenches. I did the trial fit after the tailcone was complete then put the all that away until most everything else was complete. Like others, I delayed attaching the tailcone as late as I could, well after it was up on the gear, engine mounted, etc. The stabilator didn't go on again after the initial trial until my final assembly before my inspection.

Caution: E-AB construction ahead

I'm just about done with the controls installation, Section 32. I deferred attaching the tailcone until now, however I intend to do Section 30, install the wings for fit, so I can easily access the flaperons and torque tubes without having to crawl in back. After that, I'll mount the tailcone and then go back and install the tail feathers along with finishing Section 32.

I don't see any reason to not wait on this. I have my tailcone sitting on sawhorses as well. Mine are made with 2x4's having purchase the sawhorse brackets along with some moving blankets at my favorite tool store, Harbor Freight. The advantage is that I cut the height to exactly match the aft end of the fuselage when sitting on the landing gear, so mating it up should be easier.

While I'm on the subject, I also installed my ELT and GPS antennas in the tail cone along with a beacon in the vertical stabilizer fairing, so laying the tail on moving blankets, and then lining it with them as well, made for a comfy, yet protective, way to get it all in. I then put it up on the sawhorses after that.

Yeah - beacon!

I really like the idea of having a red flashing light on top of my vs - after ELSA cert for sure. Could you advise us of some of the specifics of your beacon install. manufacturer - item numbers, price, etc - please. Thanks

Beacon

No problem. I bought a Whelen Vertex VTX609R. It's 1" round and fits perfectly through a 1" hole in the top of the VS fairing. It only weighs a few ounces and draws about .2A in pulse. You can program it to about 25 or so different strobe sequences if you want to get fancy, but I like the old on-off-on-off standard.

I saw someone else did a nice molded in version of this (I searched but couldn't find the link for you, but it's an RV-12 on here somewhere).

Once the tailcone is finished, is there any reason why the control surfaces need to be mounted at this point as the instructions indicate?

The reason I ask is because once the top skin is added, it's a little harder to move the operation.

Against my better judgement, I left the structure on the 36" sawhorses called for in the plans. That's high, man.

At some point, obviously, it's going to be mated with the fuselage, but who knows what height the fuselage will be at and moving the tailcone around (nothing to really hold onto at the forward end once the top skin is attached) would seem more difficult than just waiting to add the control surfaces until later.

On the other hand there's a 12 week delay in wing shipments and mine won't be arriving until late May and I suppose it's something to do.

What say you?

Sounds like you have a lot of time to wait for the Wing kit.

I'm not sure why you don't want to install the top skin. I had mine on and then stored it up in the loft of the hanger with no problem (with help).

Also have you fitted and installed the tips on the Rudder and V. Stab? What about the Tailcone Fairing? I delayed mine (since I had the Wing on hand) and it was fairly time consuming for me. You will need to install the V Stab, Rudder, and H. Stabilator to check the fit of the Tailcone Fairing.

Just trying to think of things for you to do to keep you out of the bars and from hanging around the street corners. LOL

If you still have time on your hands you can fly up here and help me with my project. ;)

Jim

Made up a double decker storage for our 2 12 tailcones. Sat on castors so it can move around the shop easily.

Just started on the 2 front fuselages but waiting for a new floor panel from Van's - bent wrong.

Plan on growing the fuselages side by side up to engines and avionics, then mating the tailcones and finishing and flying one airplane before completing the second.

Oh - put pink mason line up the tailcones and through the snap rings to pull all cables through. Saves using a fishing pole !

We are doing it as an engineering exercise for my buddy as well as a revenue opportunity. Building is therapy, so we are enjoying our therapist.

Then it's on with the 14 to replace our 7, then..... 10 ? who knows.

I send you an email btw.

I'm not sure why you don't want to install the top skin. I had mine on and then stored it up in the loft of the hanger with no problem (with help).

The top skin IS installed. I was noting that moving the fuse (without help) is difficult even without the tailfeathers attached.

Anyway, building in an empty hangar also gives me some options when considering whether to do this now or not.

If you still have time on your hands you can fly up here and help me with my project. ;)

Now, you know I would if I had a plane!

Last edited:
We are doing it as an engineering exercise for my buddy as well as a revenue opportunity. Building is therapy, so we are enjoying our therapist.

So is this one of those "If you want to make a "small fortune" building and selling airplanes, start with a "big fortune" things? At least that's how it seems to always work for me! :(

Jim

Oh Jim.......

No, we will turn coin on our projects.

Not drifting the thread but I am super impressed with the speed the 12's go together. My fly buddy helped with the 8 and said he would like to do an airplane he said he built. I said OK, we may as well do 2 at the same time :D

12 isn't my bag as I go upside down a lot but I did the test fly off on one 3 years ago and was very surprised as to just how good it flew.

To anyone wanting an affordable good cruiser with all the Van's smiles, the 12 is it.

I've thought about doing this in retirement too. Just build planes to sell them.

Given how quickly these things go together, I can't imagine how fast you could build one once you've built one.

Back