What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy side skin

Arablenz

Those who have completed your canopy , does your canopy side skin sit flush with the fuselage side skin?. I have fitted the canopy frame on today and the side skins when clecoed on sit about 1/32 inside the outside ledge of the fuselage. At the rear is perfect but from about half way forward not so good. Not having another RV 14 plane to look at here so not sure what's acceptable. The plans show it flush when asking to wedge for parallel.
Thanks

Canopy

On mine one side fit perfect the other was as you describe. I just shimmed it to fit.

I think I did a bit of pushing and pulling to try to get mine to give just a tiny bit, but got it pretty close. Perfect may be a bit tough but it's pretty good. It was before the screws were in the canopy though.

Thankyou both for your replies. I have tried Tim's idea of gentle persuasion but it just springs back and I don't want to try to hard in case I put the rest of the canopy and of a good position. So might try your idea Marvin . Both sides are exactly the same just one skin width from being flush.Did you just shim the areas that needed it or put a shim all the way along between the angle and the inside of the canopy frame?

Shim

I had a consistent one skin offset so I just cut, drilled, and dimpled a piece to fit under the skin.

Have you finished the locking mechanism and installed the blocks in the rear of the frame for the locking pins? I would not do anything adjustment wise until that part is complete and functional as that will set your canopy frame alignment more than just placing the frame on the fuselage.

Hi Chris. I have the blocks attached and have temporarily installed just the pins as I am waiting to heat the shop to drill my rear window. At this stage the pins fit perfectly but maybe I will go back a few steps and finish the window to permanently install the latch and pins.thanks

Back