What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a picture of your FINISHED RV-6/6A!

Fresh From the Paint Shop

Our RV-6 came home today from the paint shop, just in time for Oshkosh.

The paint scheme was designed by my friend Dave O'Malley of Aerographics in Ottawa. I simply told him that (a) I like red, (b) most airplane designs have a boring ol' stripe down the side, and (c) I wanted something different. Judge the result...

265b9b20f3e136a321123ae59dddf12f_zpsg8omqax8.jpg

fb024bac26eb2c8ab7c6a5217406901c_zpspxicferf.jpg

f01d3a9d9f1603d67361bc07efd628cf_zpsosxboshe.jpg

84984346ea6b0afbd1222af43fab0124_zpscqfkv5p8.jpg

The work was done by Bruce Bird of Spectrum Aviation in Tilsonburg, Ontario.

Hi Rob,

Is the white paint or vinyl? Base coat clear coat or single paint process? When will you bring it to Lachute for lunch? Are you happy with the workmanship?

Congratulations.

Scott

38 hours logged now so I've been busy getting an "aerobatic" clearance here in the UK.

This is now finished and I've got the approval paperwork. Thought I'd post a video of the Test Pilot doing the spin test (it's not very often you get to see an RV-6 spun - it's only allowed during test flying here, "no intentional spinning" thereafter.)

https://vimeo.com/132973467

Hi Rob,

Is the white paint or vinyl? Base coat clear coat or single paint process? When will you bring it to Lachute for lunch? Are you happy with the workmanship?

Congratulations.

Scott

Scott,

The only vinyl is the registration. It was shot in white JetGlo, then gold stripes shot and masked, then shot in red. No clear coat, due to weight. Quality of work is...you decide! I'll call before we come for lunch.

Last edited:
IMG_4954.jpg

Hi, Just wanted to check in. I'm the proud new owner of an RV6-A. I'm not the builder, but I had previously built an O-235 powered Kitfox Series 5, which I sold a couple of years ago. I've been wanting an airplane better suited to long trips, and had been looking at RV7's, and I went to take a look at this airplane so I might have a basis of comparison between the two models. Once I saw the amazing build quality of this airplane I knew I'd be hard pressed to find one as nice. Plus, the price was right. The airplane is powered by a Lyc. O360 with a FP prop and was finished in 1999. It has only 215 hours on the engine. The panel is a bit dated, but I'm planning a refresh in the future. Right now, I'm trying to solve an issue which as developed with the Electroair ignition. I'll post a question about that on the General forum.

I've been lurking the forum for awhile now, but I'm looking forward to contributing more in the future.

All the best,

rv 6a

hello I'm new to this I have an rv6a and I'm trying to install air conditioning any thought on using one from a small car
thanks DAVE

new kid on the block

picked up and repositioned my new toy on Dec 1st... early Xmas present this year :D

pasted-image-800.jpg

Last edited:
1998 RV-6

Here are photos of "Cloud Chasers" after adding a graphic design.
6-Out-of-Hanger.jpg

7-Time-to-Fly.jpg

This photo, just completed an experimental project this weekend. Made using cardstock paper.
PICT0309.jpg

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Here is N219PB with her clothes on.

FP16032020A00011.jpg

Here is a link.
open
. Kitlog is being unruly.

Last edited:
Thanks Colin,

Five years of the labor of love. Had my calendar full of fly-ins to attend this spring and now the Corona has me flying in isolation. :eek:

Thanks Colin,

Five years of the labor of love. Had my calendar full of fly-ins to attend this spring and now the Corona has me flying in isolation. :eek:

Same here, I am trying to plan a week or so flying/camping trip for early june. Knowing my luck, the weather will be bad, but I can at least try.

congrats

Well done Karsten, I like the paint scheme and the shade of blue. Looks like there are a few vortex generators installed.

Beautiful paint scheme Carsten, probably the best I've seen to my taste... plushy plugs to top it up, congrats :cool:

The whole aircraft ist festooned with vortex generators, prior to having flown :confused: Care to lift the mystery?

Since you are not too far away and the borders reopening, I'll hope to see that magnificent machine in flesh during the coming summer :)

Thanks Colin - a fellow photographer and friend Jonathan Derden was gracious enough to take them for me!

https://jderden.myportfolio.com/

Wow! those are NICE photos! He can take a pic of my plane ANY TIME! The tippers+ draggers are best looking RVs, bar none.

Note, though, this F-18 photo ... EGT issues, as evidenced by the different colored exhaust plumes. Even the big boys have issues.

Attachments

• f18.jpg
    f18.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Count the rivets ;)

One nice day of July 2020 saw a bunch of Swiss RVs take part in a photoshoot mission... in turn we rejoined with the chartered Pilatus PC-6 Porter, from which 3 photographers kept firing at us :D

Attached shot credit:
Björn Engelke pictures are breathtaking, and not RV restricted.
Shots of the event: http://cr-photos.com/2020/07/27/vans-rv-fotoflug/
Other flying machines by Björn: http://cr-photos.com

Attachments

• YLL.jpg
    YLL.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 367
RV6 bulit in 08

180 hp built test flew 1.5 hrs and and stored till 2021. Call it "Rip Van Winkle"

Attachments

• IMG_7136.JPG
    IMG_7136.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 336
Back