What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to buy a P-mag

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
I have called e-magair twice and left messages. Never heard back..
where can I buy them? (the complete setup, gear, spark plug adapters , wires)
Thanks!

If you need a gear you can get a huge discount if you purchase it direct thru Emagair when you bundle it with the PMag. They have some sort of special deal with Lycoming to be able to do this.

I am trying to buy from them. But I guess it has to be via phone call and I have called twice! No luck getting someone to return my call

Keep calling

If you want to buy from Emag......keep calling and leaving voice mails.
They will answer eventually.
I had the same issue around Oshkosh....while trying to order.
Once you get someone on the phone they are very helpful.

Yea I'm still awaiting an answer to an email I sent last week - I wonder if they / their employees were affected by the hurricane?

Don't forget the clamps

If you are replacing a Bendix mag, don't forget to order the two clamps that hold the Pmag to the assessory case. I think they are included in the "install kit" from Emagair. I just installed a Pmag before going on a x-country and had to get those clamps over-nighted when I realized they didn't come with the mag.

If you're replacing a Slick mag I'm told you can use the same clamps used with the Slick.

I ordered from Spruce and all was good except for the clamps. I had a problem getting my timing set right because I had inadvertently positioned my flywheel at the wrong angle when changing my alternator belt. People at Emagair were helpful; even on a Saturday, in getting me going.

John

Last edited:
waiting

Yea I'm still awaiting an answer to an email I sent last week - I wonder if they / their employees were affected by the hurricane?

You might be waiting a long time for a email response.
I emailed them a virtual order and never got a response, but did get emailed info on the shipping and receipt, etc. So they do use it.

I am still confused on which mag to replace. i thought i decided to keep my impulse coupler one but than when i spoke with someone from Emag he suggested to repalce the impulse coupler one with the Pmag. I am on top of the wall and don't know which side to jump. both ways have pros and cons!
Heeeelp.

I am still confused on which mag to replace. i thought i decided to keep my impulse coupler one but than when i spoke with someone from Emag he suggested to repalce the impulse coupler one with the Pmag. I am on top of the wall and don't know which side to jump. both ways have pros and cons!
Heeeelp.

Don't Jump!!! Take the ladder back down to the logic side. Each rung is one to be carefully considered on one's own. Only you can own it.

Heeeelp.

Having seen and heard of friends having impulse couplings come apart and tearing things up in the gear train I'd vote for putting your Pmag in that hole and dump the darn thing.
But you need to set things up so the starter will not operate with the non impulse mag HOT so you don't damage the starter.
Tim Andres

Hi tim.
So correct me if I am wrong, If i am replacing the mag with impulse coupler with the Pmag on the Left side where the impulse is the starting side meaning that the Right mag is grounded when i turn the key to start. Wouldn't it still stay the same? Grounding out the R side regular mag and only starting on the the Pmag on the left?

Heeeelp.

I'm doing my LH / impulse mag. The last question I have is whether to keep the spark plug leads as configured, or have the P-Mag fire all the tops, or all the bottoms. I'm inclined to keep the same setup, because I'm cheap and don't want to reconfirm the RH mag since I'm keeping it.

I should also note that the P-Mag people did answer my email from last week today.

wires

See link for my post about the wire topic.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=152266

Congrats on the call back!

FYI: things you will need in addition to Pmags.
I purchased several packages of spark plug wire seperators from the auto parts store.
You will need a mag gasket for the Pmag...or two for dual.
You have to figure out the manifold pressure tubing connections. I had Tom make me a new MP hose to replace the standard Van's hose with a TEE in the line. Worked very well.
I did remove the long studs that hold the impulse mag on and replaced with shorter ones. Brad sells these too. PS..the stud extractor tool is sold at the auto parts place for 12.00...wise investment.
Wire per plans....I used pull type breaker.....and a label for the panel also. I also purchased a firewall pass through for just the Pmag harness to run through.

I'm doing my LH / impulse mag. The last question I have is whether to keep the spark plug leads as configured, or have the P-Mag fire all the tops, or all the bottoms. I'm inclined to keep the same setup, because I'm cheap and don't want to reconfirm the RH mag since I'm keeping it.

I should also note that the P-Mag people did answer my email from last week today.

The split wiring top/bottom thing is a scheme used to equalize wear on the electrodes, it effectively reverses the polarity during a plug rotation. (This from John Swarner's magneto book)
With auto plugs, we don't worry about wear, so wire how ever you want. For troubleshooting it may be simpler if you have an ignition problem in flight to ID the problem if you know all the plugs on top are EI, and all the bottom are magneto.
Tim Andres

Last edited:
Hi tim.
So correct me if I am wrong, If i am replacing the mag with impulse coupler with the Pmag on the Left side where the impulse is the starting side meaning that the Right mag is grounded when i turn the key to start. Wouldn't it still stay the same? Grounding out the R side regular mag and only starting on the the Pmag on the left?

Yeah, it should already be correct if you install the Pmag in the left hole, but I would verify it.
Tim

Spark plug adapters

After several great years flying behind my PMags I decided to replace my spark plug bushings. The 18mm threads were eroding badly.
I was hit with sticker shock at the cost to replace them from Emag and Aircraft Spruce.
I ordered a set from Brillman Company. Full set of 8 adapters shipped was over $100.00 less.. ( that's a FREE hamburger).
Wondering if anyone tried these adapters and what was the result.
I've ordered them and will report back on if they will work.

https://brillman.com/?s=Spark+plug+adapters&post_type=product

Last edited:
Back