What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics location

bob888

Well Known Member
I'm sitting here with a pile of avionics boxes and the completed upper forward fuselage (not attached to the plane) trying to figure out the best way to locate each (G3X system with blind com2, VP-X, and blind transponder). It seems clear that I'll have to cut an opening for the GTN650 in the sub panel due to length of the box with connectors. The actual panel faced instruments are not a problem but the ADAHRS, engine monitor box, various other components look like a jigsaw puzzle. Any photos showing where others have placed these or similar? Advice?

IMG_5711.JPG

ADHRS1 and 2 on the left, Transponder mounted between the subpanel and panel support frame, EIS to the right of the ADHRS.

IMG_5713.JPG

TCW Backup batteries (one for critical avionics, one for LSE ignition), forest of tabs, GTR-20 com and VPX Pro mounted between subpanel and panel support frame. The only thing behind the subpanel are the ARINC interface box (Behind the forest of tabs, you can see the mounting bolts), and the LSE boxes, mounted on rails between the subpanel and firewall support angles.

The only thing I wish I could have worked out better is the transponder mount. It's a pain to remove the transponder if I had to. I just ran out of space, and wanted to keep it under the panel vs in the tailcone for balance purposes.

IMG_5711.JPG

ADHRS1 and 2 on the left, Transponder mounted between the subpanel and panel support frame, EIS to the right of the ADHRS.

IMG_5713.JPG

TCW Backup batteries (one for critical avionics, one for LSE ignition), forest of tabs, GTR-20 com and VPX Pro mounted between subpanel and panel support frame. The only thing behind the subpanel are the ARINC interface box (Behind the forest of tabs, you can see the mounting bolts), and the LSE boxes, mounted on rails between the subpanel and firewall support angles.

The only thing I wish I could have worked out better is the transponder mount. It's a pain to remove the transponder if I had to. I just ran out of space, and wanted to keep it under the panel vs in the tailcone for balance purposes.

Hey Ed,

I was looking to copy your mounting angle solution for the VPX, but when I went to check my aerosport 310 aluminum frame it looks like it's offset and a centimeter or two higher than the matching flange on the subpanel that you've connected to.

How did you span the gap here? Did you just add something to fill the offset off of the subpanel flange? The method looks great, just want to do the right thing here.

Thanks!

So my installation is nowhere near as elegant as Ed's, but my help someone anyway:

So here's the cutout in my sub-panel for my radio stack (audio panel, SL 30, and GTN 650). To the immediate right is where I mounted my G3X AHRS on two pieces of angle that run fore-aft between the sub-panel's lower flange and the lower instrument panel's lower flange. My VP-200 control unit is to the immediate left of the center brace (you can see the mounting nutplates).
34843699313_b82994a3d8_b.jpg

Here's another pick showing the empty instrument panel in-place:
34843699653_b9c2c03712_m.jpg

The only remote unit I have is my transponder which is mounted on Van's AHRS shelf behind the battery:
35613132166_f319f49447_b.jpg

Finally, here's a pic of the final product:
35265793050_69687ac859_m.jpg

I made up foam blocks, from pink/blue foam, to the dimensions of the boxes, including connectors. (I glued foam connector blocks in place with 5 min epoxy where it was easier than cutting them out in place) Then with double stick tape I tried various arrangements thinking about future access for removal and connector positioning.

It took less than 2 hours to have everything settled. I then used the positions to measure for the wire harness using flat ribbon to mock up. Don't forget service loops!

Hey Ed,

I was looking to copy your mounting angle solution for the VPX, but when I went to check my aerosport 310 aluminum frame it looks like it's offset and a centimeter or two higher than the matching flange on the subpanel that you've connected to.

How did you span the gap here? Did you just add something to fill the offset off of the subpanel flange? The method looks great, just want to do the right thing here.

Thanks!

No compensation needed. I just ran an angle from the bottom flange of the subpanel to the bottom flange of the aerosport aluminum support. I don't know if it's exactly level or not, but it doesn't matter.

Back