What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

couple of fueselage questions - help please

Adam W

Well Known Member
hey all

does anyone have a decent illustration of the 6111 skin reinfrocement ribs in place or advice on the method used to cut and form them?

one more question.
i notice the manual would have me fix the baggage floor down permanently in another step or two
do i not need this open to pass wiring to the rear of the fuselage? or at least create a chase through one of the bagage floor ribs between 705 and 706 for later wiring? is this one of those spots not well addressed in the manual or is there an alternate route used by most for the wiring that has to reach the rear of the plane

thanks in advance

Adam

You will want to use under the baggage floor area for a lot of things.

I used plate nuts instead of pull rivets on the baggage floor so I can get to the transponder antenna and strobe control box. Most of the wire that goes to the back end can be run under as well.

If you are going to use pull rivets, wait as long as possible before doing so.

My 5 nickel ( we don't use pennies anymore)

Carr

thank you Carr

So you recomend drilling a hole and using a bushing in the bottom of 705 and 706 between baggage floor ribs for wire passage later?

Pathway

You can but be sure to refer to Vans locations for snap bushings.
I went with removable floors and baggage bulkhead so I could use that area any time without drilling pop rivets. You don't know, what you don't know.

Larry

Thank you
How would one route their cabling if not through this a baggage floor?
I don't think the center space with the pushrods is a good option
Why not a conduit through this space and close it permanent?
Is there a reason to use this space to Mount anything component wise?

Not yet flying,

but I ran some of the same black conduit I used in the wings. Ran two sections, one in each side of the plane under the seats and baggage floors. My friend (whose plane is flying) , ran both sections of conduit on the same side of the plane.

I did not use nutplates on the baggage floor and wished I had, it would have made many things easier. I did run wiring down both sides of the center section "tunnel" area. I riveted small nylon tie locations on either side so I could secure the wiring bundles.

There is probably a zillion RVs with conduit run under the baggage floor. some have used the 5/8" drip system tubing from the hardware store. Make it long enough to end in front of the seat pans.

I riveted the baggage floors per the plans and have never regretted it. No conduit goes through there.

My wiring hugs the sides of the center tunnel via Adel clamps.

Pathways

Larry

Thank you
How would one route their cabling if not through this a baggage floor?
I don't think the center space with the pushrods is a good option
Why not a conduit through this space and close it permanent?
Is there a reason to use this space to Mount anything component wise?

The other answers are all fine. It really comes down to personal preference. Many use two of the corogated Vans conduits either in the tunnel or in other bays. Just obey the Vans direction on placement of holes and all will be fine. I wanted access so mine are removable. It adds a bit of work and about 1 lb of weight.
Yes, lots of builders use the spaces for equipment or terminal strips. Devices seldom accessed would be best.

My fuselage started as a tail wheel build. When I purchased the kit, I wanted the A model so I had to add steps.

Ive drilled the pop rivets out once and trying to decide if I put the nutplates in or just pop it back on. It is pretty easy and quick to drill them out and I can't see a reason to go back in there so I will probably just rivet them back on.

i notice the manual would have me fix the baggage floor down permanently in another step or two
do i not need this open to pass wiring to the rear of the fuselage? or at least create a chase through one of the bagage floor ribs between 705 and 706 for later wiring? is this one of those spots not well addressed in the manual or is there an alternate route used by most for the wiring that has to reach the rear of the plane

I see you're in Canada, one big reason to hold off on closing the baggage floor is that you need the pre-cover inspection done first. I used platenuts and had the floor out for the inspection last year. I may not have interpreted the rules correctly, but as far as I know, the inspector will want to be able to see all of the rivets (other than the ones used to close up) in any area that will be closed up before closing it up.

As far as wiring goes, I ran some up the center tunnel, but had too much to put it all there. I have a bundle running up the right side under the baggage and seat floors.

I did removable floors, for access to the steps and running Dynon ADSB box on one side and transponder on the other side, mounted to the underside of floor, and access to the ADSB and trans antenna mounts right there also.

thanks to all
i am still puzzled about using the center tunnel area for cabling to the rear
how would you pass through 706 it looks like any hole made to the left or right of the pushrod opening would interfere with bell crank ribs and be non compliant with edge distances?

Back