What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BWI insurance

jwilbur

Well Known Member
Just got a flyer from bwifly.com offering VANs aircraft insurance. Big letters say, "just announced for march 2018 - lowest rates in the country."

Before I end up downloading a virus or giving up my mother's maiden name, has anyone ever heard of or dealt with this company before? Looking for a review. Should I bother visiting their web page?

I?ve used them.

I had a twin Comanche and a C150 with them in the last year. Rates were best I found.

Not the RV

Just to be clear. I do not have my RV with BWI. The rates that I mentioned were on a twin Comanche and the C150. I have my RV with Gallagher.

Just a reminder: this thread is about insurance BROKERS. Insurance brokers represent the client (the pilot) to multiple actual insurance companies (who never deal directly with the pilot). You want to pick an insurance broker based on their knowledge and customer service. In principle, all insurance brokers will get the same quotes for the same pilot. In practice, there may be small variations (broker may take a smaller commission, for example) but the single largest variation is usually the fact that the insurance companies, in an effort to keep their cost and confusion down, will often refuse to quote one given pilot to more than one broker. So my advice is to pick one broker with a good reputation for knowledge and service; discuss your needs and desires with them, and ask their advice; let them get quotes for you. Asking multiple brokers is counter-productive, as they will be unhappy after they've done the work and find that companies will not quote them because you've already been to another broker.
Exception: AVEMCO does not use brokers, they are (the only) "direct writer". Send them an application if you wish (in the past, for me, they have come in much more expensive than the broker-found companies).
For the record, I use Gallager (nee NationAir) and have always been happy.

AVEMCO does not use brokers, they are (the only) "direct writer". Send them an application if you wish (in the past, for me, they have come in much more expensive than the broker-found companies).

Just received a quote from AVEMCO. More than double what am currently paying.

Just a reminder: this thread is about insurance BROKERS. Insurance brokers represent the client (the pilot) to multiple actual insurance companies (who never deal directly with the pilot). You want to pick an insurance broker based on their knowledge and customer service. In principle, all insurance brokers will get the same quotes for the same pilot. In practice, there may be small variations (broker may take a smaller commission, for example) but the single largest variation is usually the fact that the insurance companies, in an effort to keep their cost and confusion down, will often refuse to quote one given pilot to more than one broker. So my advice is to pick one broker with a good reputation for knowledge and service; discuss your needs and desires with them, and ask their advice; let them get quotes for you. Asking multiple brokers is counter-productive, as they will be unhappy after they've done the work and find that companies will not quote them because you've already been to another broker.
Exception: AVEMCO does not use brokers, they are (the only) "direct writer". Send them an application if you wish (in the past, for me, they have come in much more expensive than the broker-found companies).

Thanks Bob, you are always so knowledgeable about the insurance process. I wanted to add one more thing to what you had to say. We do have several companies that will give quotes out to more than one broker, but the quotes should be the same across the board. For example, we will not get a higher/lower quote than another broker as long as all of the information given to the insurance company is the same. If the premiums do not match, something is incorrect on one of the quotes. This is important because there is a possibility of a claim being denied if incorrect information was given.

Back