View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 03:00 PM

I did some flying today and got some intial numbers. I used stabilized cruise with realitively smooth air and utilizing the autopilot, I recorded 5 minute averages for speed, temps and pressures twice open and twice closed. Lower cowling pressures were obtained with a single picollo tube place vertically at the bottom of the lower cowling attached to the lower engine mount with the manometer plumber to the static system and CHTís and TAS from the EFIS.

Opening the oil door drops the lower cowling pressure approximately 60%, .65 in H2O @110 KIAS and .85 in H2O at 146 KIAS.
LOP cruise was 161 KTAS with the door open and 164 KTAS with it closed.
Very little change in CHTís, avgerage was 3-5 degrees cooler with the door open. Oil temp was about 1-2 degrees cooler.

Iíll need a lot more flights to try and filter any cooler climb out data. I need to check the pressure directly underneath the cylinders to see if it changes as much as the rest of the lower cowling does.
I did do 2 hot quick turns giving rides today without a single hiccup during ground ops, it was only 88* though.