What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Pressure - AN470AD4-7

Reflex

Well Known Member
I'm having a bit of trouble setting the rivets in the picture below. It appears that I'm not using enough air pressure in my 3X gun. Wondering if anybody remembers what they used. Currently trying to use a double offset with a 1.6 lb. tungsten bar.

Currently using 45 psi. Seems that I may need significantly more pressure. Thought I'd ask before I jack the pressure up and risk "engraving" the spar with smilies.

For those that can't quite picture what I'm working on, it's the final rivets on the HS stab for an RV-14.

HS%20AN470AD4-.jpg~original

Many thanks,

Fred

I found that a long double offset has a lot of mass, and needs more pressure than you'd think. There were places where I had to use it, but I tried to find other ways whenever I could. I don't remember specifically how much pressure I had to use, but the exact number would vary depending on the gun and other factors anyway. Don't be afraid to crank it up to get the result you need.

I shot those rivets the other day. I had to use a long offset rivet set extension to get to them. The thing I had to remember is to not tighten up the rivet set all the way down. Even then I had to set my PSI to 60 and it still took 5-7 seconds of bucking to get them down.

Used a double offset set in a #3 gun, 60#, and a small tungsten bar. Worked great.

I ended up buying a 12" straight set to get into those. I set the first rivet with an offset, but didn't like how much pounding it took to get a good shop head. The long straight set made quick work of it

Many thanks for the quick replies. Just completed setting those 10 rivets. Ran the regulator up to 65 psi and used double offset. Rivets became a non issue. In fact, may be the best rivets I've set!

Thanks again.

Fred

Many thanks for the quick replies. Just completed setting those 10 rivets. Ran the regulator up to 65 psi and used double offset. Rivets became a non issue. In fact, may be the best rivets I've set!

Thanks again.

Fred

Not only rivet size, but the stiffness of the structure will demand higher pressure. Keep that in mind for areas where there it is not a broad flat surface under. Like corners. Also, use more tape on the set.

Back