What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using old Pitot tube metal lines on Garmin G3x

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi,

I am planning replacing my current pitot tube with a g3x heated tube.

I want to know if I can use the metal tubing that the old pitot tube is connected to on the g3x or do I need to snake new line through the wing?

I would assume the current tubing (metal) is 1/4 inch and the new synthetic stuff is 1/8.

Can I put a reducer fitting at the end of it to connect the new pitot to the old tubing?

Thanks,
D

You could reuse the 1/4" aluminum line if you wish, but why? The new 1/4" plastic lines are so easy to work with and the fittings provided in the Garmin & Dynon Pitot Static line kits are fool proof & NEVER leak. I assume you will be running the second line for the AoA probe anyway, add 10 extra minutes to run a new Pitot line & make the job quick & simple.

To answer the question, reducing it from 1/4' to 3/16", which I believe the lines on the Garmin and Dynon are, would not be any problem. There are multiple ways of doing it however Garmin recommends 8" distance from the main tube if using plastic type fittings due to the heat.

my take.

I don't think the size difference would matter. These lines just transmit pressure, there is no air flow.

as far as the ends go, I just slipped the plastic over the metal after heating up with a heatgun. there is no really pressure and no real flow, so it is not critical. Just make sure there are no leaks. JMHO

Hi,

I am planning replacing my current pitot tube with a g3x heated tube.

I want to know if I can use the metal tubing that the old pitot tube is connected to on the g3x or do I need to snake new line through the wing?

I would assume the current tubing (metal) is 1/4 inch and the new synthetic stuff is 1/8.

Can I put a reducer fitting at the end of it to connect the new pitot to the old tubing?

Thanks,
D

Hello dmat,

All 3 models of the GAP 26 pitot/AOA probe use 3/16" aluminum tubing.

One of many options is to flare the ends of your existing 1/4" tubing and the 3/16" tubing on the GAP 26 (after installing sleeves and nuts) and use an AN919-2D 1/4" to 3/16" reducer to connect the two.

AN919C.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

In regards to "Just make sure there are no leaks."
the GAP26 pitot/AOA is designed to leak.
Don't ask me, or my avionics shop, how I know that.

We had to get Garmin to send us a copy of the Garmin manual page before we would believe it has a designed in leak.

Unless you really, really know what you are doing, let your avionics shop do the leak check. You do not want to create a leak somewhere that would allow all that expensive smoke out.

Back