What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KC Flight Formation Clinic

N53LW

Well Known Member
2019 Kansas City Formation Clinic April 26,27,& 28 at (KLXT) Lee's Summit Airport
More Emphasis on advanced formation flying and Large formation Flight. As always new formation pilots training will be geared for their skill level. New information and education on the Updated FAA 8900.1 rules for formation flight in a CoW.To sign up for the clinic go to the DATABASE section of this group and make an entry on the appropriate table. The Fee for the clinic is $80.00 All meals will be provided starting on Friday evening.

Participating pilots should have excellent stick and rudder skills. This clinic is only for RV aircraft. Sorry, no RV-10?- 12s. All aircraft must be in excellent condition. Beginner's aircraft must have dual controls (throttle, stick and rudder), intercom, and PTT in both positions. No vernier throttles allowed! In addition to the normal paperwork required of all aircraft (registration, airworthiness certificate, weight & balance), pilot certificate and current medical, you will need to bring proof of liability insurance. We have arranged a block of 30 hotel rooms under (KC Flight) at Comfort Inn & Suites in Lee's Summit, MO . 3701 NE Ralph Powell Rd. 64064 phone 816-554-6688 Rooms Drop Off the Block Rate on March 26, 2019 make reservations early cancellation 48hrs notice.
We will provide dinner on Friday evening, and lunch and dinner on Saturday. Further detailed information will be posted to this group as it is available.
Experienced pilots who wish to take a check ride to earn an FFI Wingman or Flight Lead card must secure a recommendation for the check ride prior to the clinic and request a check ride through this forum.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/2019kcflightformationclinic/info

Couple of questions if I may. I'm an old Marine/naval aviator, but that was some 50 years ago. ( Then I flew airlines all my life). I learned to fly formation in Navy T 28's, and Marine Corps helicopters. I always thought formation flying was like riding a bike, ie, yoU never forget. Well, as I've found out in recent years,that ain't true. I've found from personal experience, that while I can still do it, I'm a bit on the spastic side. Ron Schreck said formation is a perishable skill. He was definitely correct. So i list myself as a semi beginner.

Question: Would you guys still want me. I "have some formation here in the Fslcon squadron here in Peachtree City, Georgia, with an experienced shot gun riding in the back.----just to keep me safe. (RV 8, full controls except for mixtue and prop pitch---I have, thrOtTLE< Rv 8 back rudder pedals, and a throttle, and of course a stick.

Would I be eligible for your group? I absolutely love the formation flying, especially when we play tail chase rolling upside down following out leader, Don Roberts----I would have liked to be a Blue Angel.

So give me feedback guys on what the think----about 23000 hours total time, 800 hours in my 8.

Don Oberlander

PS, When's the deadline I would have to let you know??

Don,

Show up, check your ego at the door, have fun. I did that as a lapsed military formation flier two years ago, now I have an FFI card and a whole bunch of new flying friends.

No vernier throttles allowed!

Though my plane's not done and KC is a bit of a trip ... I have a question about "vernier throttle" .. I assume this refers to twist-adjustable ones with the button, like the mix and prop controls. I'm building with the basic friction lock black knob for my throttle. I assume this would pass muster? (I can't wait to do some clinics out on the west coast soon)

Though my plane's not done and KC is a bit of a trip ... I have a question about "vernier throttle" .. I assume this refers to twist-adjustable ones with the button, like the mix and prop controls. I'm building with the basic friction lock black knob for my throttle. I assume this would pass muster? (I can't wait to do some clinics out on the west coast soon)

Yes, and yes. You'll be good to go with a friction throttle.

No RV10s

I'm curious why no RV10s? Certainly isn't a matter of keeping up and visibility is extremely good even without the bubble canopy.

Bryan,
Yes, actually, the visibility in an RV-10 is too limited for the nature of FFI formations. An unfortunate truth, sorry.

Bryan,
Yes, actually, the visibility in an RV-10 is too limited for the nature of FFI formations. An unfortunate truth, sorry.

Bryan, the size and cabin configuration of the RV-10 make it less than desirable for formation flying with other RVs.

BUT--You and your -10 would be more than welcome at other FFI-based formation clinics run by Bonanza or Mooney pilots!

Swallow your pride and come fly with the Beechnutz at our clinic in St Joseph MO May 2-5. Feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Back