What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airport collecting info on the airplanes based on the field

isosceles

The airport ops sent out the form to fill about the airplanes people keep on the field. It says they have to provide the list of aircraft to the county assessor. It contains very basis question about the make and model, engine type and model and that's pretty much it. It does not even ask if it's a homebuilt, number of seats, etc. Is there a benefit in filling in the form or it's easier to ignore the request; my airplane are on the hangar rental paperwork so they will send the info to the county anyway?

Chances are you’re going to get it from the county either way.
The form they send you will ask all the pertinent questions.
Which airport did this? Looks like you’re in Fremont. Was it Hayward, Livermore, Palo Alto, Reid Hillveiw, San Carlos, Byron or Oakland?

Last edited:
Chances are you?re going to get it from the county either way.
The form they send you will ask all the pertinent questions.
Which airport did this? Looks like you?re in Fremont. Was it Hayward, Livermore, Palo Alto, Reid Hillveiw, San Carlos, Byron or Oakland?

Byron. Sure they will get the info since the airplane is listed on the hangar rental agreement. I was wondering if a more favorable valuation is possible if I fill that form in...

Byron is Contra Costa County. Haven?t personally dealt with Contra Costa. Could do a preemptive and go to the assessors office and get the form to prepare. Not completely sure but the forms seem to be pretty much the same from the few different counties I?ve been in.

If you built your airplane versus purchased will reflect the valuation. Built should use kit prices, purchased should use purchased price. If valuation seems off you can always contest it with facts to get it lowered.

Counties get information from FAA records on ownership also. Since you live in Fremont you?ll probably get an inquiry from Alameda County too.

The county that the plane resides in gets the personal property tax on the plane.

Byron is Contra Costa County. Haven?t personally dealt with Contra Costa. Could do a preemptive and go to the assessors office and get the form to prepare. Not completely sure but the forms seem to be pretty much the same from the few different counties I?ve been in.

If you built your airplane versus purchased will reflect the valuation. Built should use kit prices, purchased should use purchased price. If valuation seems off you can always contest it with facts to get it lowered.

Counties get information from FAA records on ownership also. Since you live in Fremont you?ll probably get an inquiry from Alameda County too.

The county that the plane resides in gets the personal property tax on the plane.

I'm not sure if that is the case.

The CA counties get registration data from the FAA for use tax (aka sales tax) and that would be dependent on kit vs. purchase.

However I bet the County is simply seeing what planes are based in it's locale for the CA Personal Property Tax and that yearly tax is based on "fair market value"

Here is Sacramento County's description -

http://www.assessor.saccounty.net/BusinessPersonalProperty/Pages/Aircraft.aspx

Lots of stuff here including the "Field Canvassing" for property tax mentioned on page 7.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/pdf/ah577final2003.pdf

The airport ops sent out the form to fill about the airplanes people keep on the field. It says they have to provide the list of aircraft to the county assessor. It contains very basis question about the make and model, engine type and model and that's pretty much it. It does not even ask if it's a homebuilt, number of seats, etc. Is there a benefit in filling in the form or it's easier to ignore the request; my airplane are on the hangar rental paperwork so they will send the info to the county anyway?

I just read a bit more of the CA BOE linked document and if the form you got was the one in Appendix A (page 32) then it had this statement in it...

Pursuant to section 5367, failure to respond by [30 days] will require the assessor to add a 10 percent penalty to the market value of your aircraft

You probably would not want to p**s off any assessors...:)

I just read a bit more of the CA BOE linked document and if the form you got was the one in Appendix A (page 32) then it had this statement in it...

Pursuant to section 5367, failure to respond by [30 days] will require the assessor to add a 10 percent penalty to the market value of your aircraft

You probably would not want to p**s off any assessors...:)

No, that wasn't that. Just a request from the airport office about the airplanes based there

Thanks for the heads-up, guys, very useful information in this thread

I'm at Byron as well (two hangars) and fill these out. At least the county is up-front about the purpose; it's the first sentence:

"Each year Contra Costa County Airports? Staff is required to submit a list of aircraft stored at the County Airports to the County Assessor"

So it is a tool for the county assessor to gather data on airplanes that have not been reported.

And has been said, you'll just get a penalty and draw more attention if you don't return the form. Taxed...to...death...

Back