What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TMX-360 and Vans Firewall Fwd kit

abuura

Well Known Member
I would like to know what challenges builders who have mated a TMX-360 from Mattituck to the Vans Firewall Forward kit for an O-360 (FF-7 0-360 CS for me) have experienced. I assume the smoothest fit is between a factory Lycoming and the appropriate FFWD kit, but if there's not too much customizing, I'd like to buy a TMX.
Thanks!!

It's a good fit

I went with a caburated, FP TMX-360.

Thier custom oil filter pad caused some grief when hooking up the Vans tach sender (I am not sure I would go with Vans tach if I did it again). Mahlon and Mattituck were awesome about solving the issue. I honestly don't know what they could do to improve thier service. It was that good.

The Mattituck oil pad looks like it may also cause some interference issues with the oil lines with the oil coller mounted on the rear baffel. I am not quite there yet, so this may premature. If it does cause a problem, I have no doubt Mattituck will make it right.

These have been my only issues so far. Go for it :)

No Challenges at All!

David,

A TMX-360 doesn't know that it's not a Lycoming... ;)

The FWF kit for my -8 mated perfectly with both the airframe and the engine - of course, you're going to have to spend considerable time crafting the baffles no matter which engine you choose - that's part of the rights of passage.

If that is your only worry, then stop worrying and give Mattituck a call!

Paul

The only external difference between O-360-A1A and TMX O-360 constant speed are the oil filter adapter and maybe the dipstick tube length if you are an RV-8 or 4. We can configure with the Lycoming style oil filter adapter, if you want to make it exactly the same, but you lose the easy to get too filter setup that way.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

ECI fuel injection is not standard and is unique to itself. Using that system will require modifications over the standard aircraft configuration for the Precision Airmotive systems supplied on most Lycoming IO-360's.
I think Robbie Attaway has installed the ECI system on his aircraft and maybe he can tell you the differences he had. You will need a return fuel line for starters.
We should be running the first complete production version of the eci magnesium sump engine equipped with lightweight cylinders and eci fuel injection system some time early next month. Will keep you posted on the skinny.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are
hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided
responsibly and at you own risk."

Here's what I've run into so far with fitting the Vans FFWD kit to my TMX-360 with forward facing/horizontal induction and Precision Airmotive fuel injection:

1. One of the fittings to the oil cooler (can't remember if it's input or output) is blocked by the oil filter adapter. You just need to order a 45 degree fitting instead of using the straight fitting that comes in the FFWD kit. You have to remove the filter to install it, but you'll need to remove the filter anyway when you install the engine. No big deal.

2. The oil filter adapter also blocks the standard Vans crankcase breather set up. I haven't sorted it out yet, but it looks like you just have to change the routing a bit. Also, not a big deal.

3. The mixture and throttle cables and brackets look like they're going to work fine with one minor exception. The bracket that is attached to the bottom of the sump locates the throttle cable very close to one of the exhaust pipes. I've seen a few builders fabricate a new bracket out of Al angle. I'm going to try tweaking the bracket. Not a big deal.

4. Van's provides a straight fitting for the inlet to the engine-mounted fuel pump, but that would cause the hose to hit the bottom of the prop governor mounting base. Mattituck supplied an extra 90 degree elbow with my engine, so I used that. That makes the hose from the firewall to the pump a little long, so I might have to shorten it. I think this problem might actually occur on real Lycomings as well, because I think I remember seeing the same issue on Walter's site.

That's about it. I haven't installed everything, but the engine mount, cowl, exhaust, and baffles seem to fit similarly to a Lycoming. There are so many things that you need to tweak in the FFWD kit (especially the baffles) regardless of engine choice that these are really minor issues. Also using the Precision Airmotive fuel injection rather than Airflow Performance helps quite a bit. I believe the AFP requires changes to the throttle and mixture cables and the induction plenum.

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave, sounds like things are progressing well!!!
You might point out that you are using a forward facing horizontal sump that clones the IO-360-M1B. Not a vertical sump IO-360 which presents different possible issues. Neither of the configurations listed on the TMX io-360 presents any differences as compared to the Lycoming variant, except those involving the angled oil filter adapter.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are
hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided
responsibly and at you own risk."

Tmx 0-360

Folks, I completed the TMX-0360 mated to Vans firewall kit with little mods except for the following:

Oil filler - too close to the mount. Solution was to get the heat gun out and bend the bugger a bit (per Mahlon). It's plastic and worked fine.

Tach sender was a problem and needed to be mounted on the firewall using Vans 12" tach cable.

Baffle - a beast no matter what engine you use.

Everything has attached with ease and I can't say enough about their support. One thing I would do next time is have them help me install the engine when they deliver. Their driver has done 100 installs and can use his truck hoist.

Go for it!

Good point Mahlon. I made a couple of corrections to my post above. Progress is going well, thanks. The engine is working out great so far.

Back