What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I'll help you if you want to stand up an iGate

humptybump

Well Known Member
My iGate has been running for almost two years now. Other than a tiny bit of electricity, there are no re-occurring cost and a tiny bit of attention once in a while. My iGate fills a substantial void along the eastern seaboard - it's on track for transferring 18,000 messages to the Internet this month!

While its not a critical component of my RV-8 flying, I like having it on board and my family likes being able to see where my plane is. I also like "checking up" on friends who fly more than me ... vicarious aviation. Parents with kids who are new drivers - or will be soon - might want to consider adding trackers to their cars too :)

I'd like to help others who are willing to stand up an iGate. You need an amateur radio license, but thats not a difficut written test to pass and the same licence covers your tracker. If you check you local area and find there is no iGate in your area then you are a good candidate. If there is no iGate at your airport and the FBO has WiFi, then you are a good candidate (although you may need to check airport rules about the antenna). Alternately, you can set one up at home.

Here is the real world cost of equipment:

• a 2-meter receiver (eBay has several hand held HAM radios for $50-75)
  • a permanent antenna (a new copper j-pole is about $45)
  • antenna feed cable (50ft of coax with connectors is about $25)
  • a computer with a sound card / mic input (an OLPC XO is about $50-$75 on eBay, a Raspberry PI setup can be put together for about the same)
  • an audio cable and probably a data cable or two (likely less than $10)
  • misc mounting hardware will be another $10-$20
The total $190-$250 but $225 is likely the mean cost.

The installation of the antenna is just a matter of finding a location for the antenna and running the feed line coax from the antenna to wherever the computer and radio will be. There's not much I can do here unless you are within RV distance.

Before I forget - you will need access to an internet connection too. I use low power laptops which can support WiFi or wired network. This provides a few more options for locating the iGate.

What's not included here is the cost of "elevation". If you are trying to cover a large area with your iGate, you need you antenna to be able to have a better "view" of the area. If your area is relatively flat, then you don't need much elevation but if you are in a low spot, getting some elevation will help but also cost. The simplest option is to mount the external antenna at the peak of a roof - either on top of the peak or close to the peak on the end of a building. You can see my installation is on the end of my hangar sticking above the peak. The ultimate solution is a tower but that is costly and also will increase the length of the coax feed line which in turn dictates using higher quality / higher cost material.

Tracking down the parts is pretty easy too. I'm happy to share my sources (but everything I bought came from Amazon, eBay, and my local HW store so it's mostly a personal choice)

For most, the challenge is getting the computer software installed, configured, connected to the radio, and all tuned up. Here is where I hope to help.

I'm happy to setup, configure and tune up the computer and radio and help train you with operating your iGate.

I realize this is not for everyone. But, if you are game, so am I. Even if this only nets a couple new iGates, if it fills in some voids across the country or across the globe, it will be a fun project.

Last edited:
Thanks for the iGate description.

Good writeup, Glen. We have adequate iGates in North Alabama so I haven't seen a need to add another, but I have wondered what it would take. I do appreciate those who have set them up as I have my APRS tracker on with every flight.

I'd like to help others who are willing to stand up an iGate. If you have an amateur radio license or are planning to get one the. you've got the paperwork covered. If you check you local area and find there is no iGate in your area then you are a good candidate. If there is no iGate at your airport and the FBO has WiFi, then you are a good candidate (although you may need to check airport rules about the antenna).

1) Would a restricted radio operators license work?
2) How do I check the iGate coverage for my area?

Thank You

king

no license needed for iGate

A ham radio license is not required to operate an iGate. A license is required to operate a digi-peater because it transmits beacons.

But if you are only receiving beacons and sending them to the internet, no license is needed.

For anyone interested, I have no idea how this is possible but you can get a NEW Amateur Radio portable transceiver for under $40. It's a BEOFANG UV5RA and its gets mixed reviews but most say its OK if you replace the antenna - which for APRS iGates you will anyway.

this particular HT has an odd choice of antenna connection so an adapter will be needed but an adapter is usually needed anyway - it's just that this adapter is not likly in anyone's junk drawer.

I'll be ordering one and will report back !

Last edited:
James - sorry for the delay, I missed you question.

The way I check for iGates in a particular are is pretty simple (and not 100%, but good enough).

1. open a browser to aprs.fi
  2. enter the name of the town or ZIP of the area of interest
  3. look for the iGate symbol (a black diamond), this is a good starting point but not all stations providing iGate service use this symbol and not all stations using this symbol are functioning iGates
  4. look for all of the stations (especially symbols of cars, trucks, etc) and hover the mouse over them
  5. some stations will display a 'path' to the digipeter and iGate they used
  6. repeat this around the area of interest and you will see most of the iGates

click for larger image

the green, yellow, and red, circles represented identified iGates and I've colored them relative to my perception of how well and how much traffic they are gating to the internet.​

Last edited:
James - sorry for the delay, I missed you question.

The way I check for iGates in a particular are is pretty simple (and not 100%, but good enough).

1. open a browser to aprs.fi
  2. enter the name of the town or ZIP of the area of interest
  3. look for the iGate symbol (a black diamond), this is a good starting point but not all stations providing iGate service use this symbol and not all stations using this symbol are functioning iGates
  4. look for all of the stations (especially symbols of cars, trucks, etc) and hover the mouse over them
  5. some stations will display a 'path' to the digipeter and iGate they used
  6. repeat this around the area of interest and you will see most of the iGates

I'll try to create an example graphic and show a sample of results.

Glen,

Thanks I was able to follow your directions and see what is or is not in my area.

Jim

IGate

Hello Glen,

I am interested in the iGate setup for my place. Could you do a brief summary of the equipment required at my airstrip and in my plane? I typed my zipcode into APRS.FI and found a weather station about two miles down the road, could that be used to track my plane?
I attempted to talk my wife into going to your place yesterday to see your setup we were already in KROA. Somehow she found lunch more interesting than invading a grass strip. Sometimes I don't understand her priorities:). In my mind we were already half way there. We did have a nice weekend of flying anyway. :)

Marvin

UPDATE: I typed APRS equipment into the search function and got a lot of info on how they are setup in aircraft.

Last edited:
Hi Marvin - the trackers for your airplane are pretty standard - the only question to ask yourself is if you want a j-pole antenna in your wingtip or a whip antenna on your fuselage. the same question turned around is whether you want your tracker in your wingtip or your fuselage.

As for the iGate, the first message in this thread lists all of the parts (not the software). I'm in the process of building a new iGate (part as as an exercise for others but also I'll offering the finished setup at 'cost' if someone wants it - it will be preconfigured and tested with everything but the external antenna and feed coax since those are site specific).

I like very lightweight software but that is because it translates to a "little bit of Linux". If that's a non-starter then I can make suggestions for people but I don't have any familiarity. The reason I went with Linux is that is works with old, cheap, low powered computers/CPUs. For example, I built my iGate with an old OLPC XO-1 laptop and aprx software. I just bought one off of eBay for $46 and will use it to build this iGate. So for less than $50 it has screen, keyboard, wifi, battery, etc. and all that I need to add is an 1/8" audio cable and a handheld radio/receiver.

Hi Marvin - the trackers for your airplane are pretty standard - the only question to ask yourself is if you want a j-pole antenna in your wingtip or a whip antenna on your fuselage. the same question turned around is whether you want your tracker in your wingtip or your fuselage.

As for the iGate, the first message in this thread lists all of the parts (not the software). I'm in the process of building a new iGate (part as as an exercise for others but also I'll offering the finished setup at 'cost' if someone wants it - it will be preconfigured and tested with everything but the external antenna and feed coax since those are site specific).

I like very lightweight software but that is because it translates to a "little bit of Linux". If that's a non-starter then I can make suggestions for people but I don't have any familiarity. The reason I went with Linux is that is works with old, cheap, low powered computers/CPUs. For example, I built my iGate with an old OLPC XO-1 laptop and aprx software. I just bought one off of eBay for $46 and will use it to build this iGate. So for less than $50 it has screen, keyboard, wifi, battery, etc. and all that I need to add is an 1/8" audio cable and a handheld radio/receiver.

Hello Glen,
If you have the finished setup you mentioned at some point in the future, I would be very interested. LINUX works fine for me. It has been many many years, but I'm sure I can figure it out again. I saw your wingtip J-pole antenna setup in a diferent post. I plan to do likewise in my right wingtip. I have already used the left wingtip for an Archer setup. I will check back with you when you are ready. All I have completed are the wings so no hurry:)
Thanks Marvin

The $100 iGate

I finished building a new iGate. It is everything but the outdoor antenna and feed coax.

The trick was to combine the plentiful OLPC XO-1 laptops available from eBay with the new low cost Baofeng radios using a 2.5mm to 3,5mm audio cable. That's it! ... well ... almost.

You can read a short write up of the new system and here is a link to my first iGate a couple years ago.

photo1-575x560.jpg

Glen,

Thanks for the information. I have a few questions.

The set up you show above, is that at the hangar? Receiving the singals, and forwarding them to the internet? Or is in the plane?

If it's in the hangar, what's in the plane sending the coordinates, etc?

Ok read everything again. The set up above is an igate, correct? That's what's in your hangar/home etc.

Now off to search how these are installed in the plane.

Thanks

Yes, the iGate is a "ground station". Most of today's APRS trackers are about as big as a 1.5 packs of Bicycle playing cards.

All the info you are seeking is in the stickies in the APRS forum.

So sorry to clutter up this thread. I had not noticed the APRS Forum. I found this thread through the "new posts" button and didn't notice what forum I was in.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited:
I've sold the above iGate (these are made available 'at cost'). I'm about to build a duplicate which will also be available. Here are the details ...

• radio is a new Baofeng UV-5R+and cost me 48.60 shipped - a recent check shows them for 45.40 + tax.
  • laptop is the OLPC XO-1 from eBay and cost me 46.35 shipped. Current units are selling for about $45 to $60.
  • a 3.5mm to 2.5mm audio cord which are around $6
  • a 2GB SD card which is available for $7

Not included but still needed are three items
  • the outdoor antenna - a nice copper J-Pole is available on eBay for about $32+shipping, or build one as a simple DIY project
  • the feed coax to go from the antenna to the radio
  • the Baofeng requires an RF adapter from the antenna feed to the radio (most likely the feed will have an PL-259 connector so the adapter is a PL-258 to SMA-female adapter which are $6

My total investment is this unit is 107.95 and I suspect it is between $14.50 and $18.50 to ship is CONOS.

I'm happy to sell a finished iGate for about $125 (which is cost) or make an image if the SD card available to you for free and you can order the items listed above.

I'll be honest, if someone buys an iGate setup I'll just build a duplicate. I'll repeat until I have one sitting idle.

There is no commitment to anyone to buy these. I built the first for myself and now build them to help improve the iGate network. If it's still on my bench for more than 2 months, I'll ship it off to a some undisclosed remote location to fill in a hole in the reception network somewhere.

Last edited:
Cool project..

This looks like a lot of fun to setup .. I'm a ham (KO6CD) and have most of the equipment needed to set everything up, less a small linux box but those are a dime a dozen here in Silicon Valley. KHAF doesn't seem to have any iGates, and it's in the shadow of any on the SF Peninsula because of the coastal range.

I'll see if I can get one online!

Bill, to keep the cost down, look for a Linux box that has a sound card - then you can use soundmodem software as a software based TNC.

The lightest weight setup uses APRX for the iGate software.

Some people are using a Raspberry PI. I settled on the old OLPC XO-1 machines because they are low power laptops with screens, wifi, wide band audio I/O, camera, plenty of USB ports, and battery and can run a lightweight Debian or Fedora distribution - in my case I start with a base OS called DebXO which is prebuilt for the computer.

I've already ordered another HT and am tracking a couple more laptops to assemble another iGate or two.

Last edited:
Bevan,

I ordered a coax cable with the connectors pre-installed.

I determined where my radio would be and where my outdoor antenna would be and then measured the coax run between the two - added enough extra for a three turn choke-balun. (The balun is probably not needed but I did it for good measure.)

I went on line and ordered the next size up cable with connectors already installed. Since the copper pipe j-pole I ordered had a PL-259 on it, it was easiest to find a coax pre-configured with PL-259 on each end.

Continuing my propensity for over-kill, my coax is LMR-400. I would not suggest others use such precise coax unless you are running a really long distance. For a short run of 25' or so, RG58A/U is fine. Next comes RG58X, then LMR400 and RG8U.

Last edited:
the "iGate Factory"

I originally was thinking this should be "iGates-R-Us" but then decided, while these look like toys, they are much better.

A new batch of BAOFENG radios arrived from China. They are not quite the same as the first radio so I will test and tune the iGates accordingly.

The price difference in components for the next to iGates were the same as the first so $110+shipping. (or shipping and lunch are free if you pick it up) ! If you already have a receiver solution, the pre-built laptop units cost $55+shipping.

These will be the last iGates I build until they get gobbled up. In the interim, I will be testing one of these as bidirectional iGate / digipeater.

20131113-163126-575x301.jpg

I think Pete Howell's kids should start making copper j-pole antennas to go with these !

Last edited:
Okay, still not sure if I am in an iGate hole, but who cares, more the merrier and all that. Sign me up for one of those units, I have seen the DIY J-pole plans and will put my experimental efforts towards that instead. A Salmon Farm visit is in my near future! :)

OK, so that last batch was "gobbled" pretty quickly! Two desperate voids in the APRS continuum snatched up the systems I just finished. Tracker pilots - you can expect a couple new iGates online in the very near future in areas that will really benefit.

I am already tracking down XO-1's to build a couple more iGates. It should not take more than a week or two to find what I need but I've been hoovering these units off of eBay and it may take a couple attempts to get these at the price point we need.

Mike - you are welcome here on the farm anytime (including this Saturday's Lunch fly-in). IF you are flying the Arrow, land at KMFV and we'll shuttle you the couple miles to the farm. I've flown an Arrow and they are no rocket off of grass :) As for an iGate, you are correct "the more the merrier".

Last edited:
Mike - you are welcome here on the farm anytime (including this Saturday's Lunch fly-in). IF you are flying the Arrow, land at KMFV and we'll shuttle you the couple miles to the farm. I've flown an Arrow and they are no rocket off of grass :)

As for an iGate, you are correct "the more the merrier". That said, two desperate voids in the APRS continuum snatched up the systems I just finished.

Tracker pilots - you can expect a couple new iGates online in the very near future in areas that will really benefit.

I am already tracking down XO-1's to build a couple more iGates. It should not take more than a week or two to find what I need but I've been hoovering these units off of eBay and it may take a couple attempts to get these at the price point we need.

Is the Raspberry a good alternative at a similar price point if the laptop supply dries up? I know there is already a thread about the Raspberry, just didn't know how it would compare with the laptops.

I've been using a Raspberry for a media hub running Raspbmc....it's pretty cool.

The Raspberry Pi will do most of the same work as an XO-1. It will be a bit more money since it will need a case, networking interface, and power supply.

It will also require more Linux expertise than these XO-1 laptop based iGates - mostly because the XO-1's have a full GUI interface on top of the Linux.

Update: I've tracked down one more XO-1 - it was $6 more than I've been able to get them for but still not bad.

Last edited:
Awesome! (but ugly!)

That is absolutely awesome that you have a receive I-gate "factory". There are places all over the U.S that are virtual APRS black holes (including pretty much the entire State of Hawaii, so I guess we need to send APRS Missionaries to the savages there) Those are the fugliest notebooks I have ever seen though! Can you tell me what software you are running? I need to check this board more often!

Allen AF6OF
VHS/Byonics

There are places all over the U.S that are virtual APRS black holes (including pretty much the entire State of Hawaii, so I guess we need to send APRS Missionaries to the savages there)

Allen AF6OF
VHS/Byonics

There is no APRS coverage over Aleutian Islands and North Western Alaska.

Vlad - you find an Amateur Radio operator in Aleutian Islands and North Western Alaska with internet access and have them get in touch with me. ;)

Allen - there is nothing stopping these iGates from Transmitting. It would not take much since the radio is already to go.

Personally, I find these XO-1 laptops to be rather nice looking. The have a true sunlight readable display, an incredibly sensitive WiFi, LiFePO4 battery, solids state storage, spill proof keyboard, touch pad, camera, audio in/out, and incredible low power usage.

The software is a a nearly stock version of Debian linux with LXDE for the GUI. It's pre-built as DebXO. The TNC is implemented in software using soundmodem. the iGate / digipeater sofware is APRX.

This means the iGate hardware is about as minimal as it can be - the laptop, the radio, and a 2.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable. I really don't think a rock solid iGate can be built any cheaper. (but I'll keep trying)

A quick update ...

If my memory and messages agree, I have iGates planned for 5 people. That will snarf up the 3 I have already finished as well as 2 that I do not yet have all of the parts.

This has been fun. The truth is that tracking down the XO-1's is getting harder and harder so the "iGate Factory" may need to come up with a new design that uses some other technology.

The Raspberry Pi option may be the answer but it would be a tiny bit more technical. Shopping around, it looks like it could be done for about $20 more than my current systems.

Glen, I think your right. Its going to become harder to source the hardware.
Once nice think about the Pi.... You could get out of the loop. The loop your in in not sustainable. Perhaps I could help your activity with some 'docs for dopes' or something, where folks could get their pi's up and running themselves. It would be pretty easy. Happy to help. I think I have 6 Pi's in my house as we speak.

There is no APRS coverage over Aleutian Islands and North Western Alaska.

Hawaii at least has a slightly denser population than Alaska, but if you know anyone with high ground in Alaska, I bet we can set them up with a Digi!
I don't have 100 rubles, but I do have 100 friends!

Allen AF6OF
VHS/BYONICS

Kahuna - I think one of the attractive aspects of my "iGate Factory" is it comes all from one "shop".

It will be easy enough to make the raspberry Pi version of my list (first post). And when I run out of XO-1's I'll do that. But I don't think as many iGates will get added to the network when individuals consider ordering the individual pieces.

Perhaps, there is a way to create a one-click shopping list with one of the on-line shopping sites so there is one order and it all arrives and it a five minute "plug-n-play" activity. I'll look into that.

Well, I have parts for three more iGates inbound and those will soon be under construction. I have two to ship out this week and then the three new ones about a week later. Soon all of the finished iGates will be at their new homes.

That pretty well wraps up what I think I can do with the XO-1 based iGates. These premium systems are very nice but given they rely upon tracking down the XO-1 laptops, it's means they are a limited run production from the "iGate Factory".

UPDATE: I had added text here offering to design a Raspberry Pi version. I have removed that text because I just found out the Raspberry Pi needs an additional component to get audio-in. That jumped the minimum price for people to at least $140-$150 + shipping per iGate (no including external antenna and coax). While this is still a good deal, it is all new work for the "factory" and results in a more geeky solution for owners. If an entrepreneur what to fund the first unit, I'll build it for them and then make the software and parts list available for everyone.

Last edited:
If there is still demand for more iGates (beyond those individuals whom I am already corresponding), then I will design a "minimal cost" iGate around the Raspberry Pi. I will then post the shopping list of pieces here as well as post a link to individuals to download a pre-built software image which they transfer to the SD card and boot up. That easy.

That sounds like a plan for the long term. Thanks!

Glen, Kudos to you for taking this project on!

A question, do either of these solutions require user intervention after a power failure? In other words, is either one favored for use in a remote location that is not monitored?

my XO-1 version has a battery as does the hand held radio so they will last a minimum of a couple hours without power. I'd have to check but I think it started back up.

I have never built a Raspberry Pi version to see what it would do.

UPDATE: I did a power test and my iGate ran 4 hours. The ones I am building run less because the radio runs out of juice before the XO-1.

Last edited:
I have never built a Raspberry Pi version to see what it would do.

The pi will boot up when power is applied. No user intervention required in the event of a power failure. IT will boot and run what ever apps and services you tell it.

The pi will boot up when power is applied. No user intervention required in the event of a power failure. IT will boot and run what ever apps and services you tell it.

Thanks Kahuna! This means it would be easy to have a Raspberry Pi based iGate simply resume operations as soon as power and internet were restored.

I could design a receiver daughterboard for the Pi that interfaces to the Pi via the SPI interface, that way it would be a total plug and play solution, just add the antenna and some config settings and your ready to go.

I've already built a 2 part receive only solution where the receiver is so small it mounts up inside the antenna mounting tube and then connects via Cat 3 cable to the main board that has processor, ethernet etc to connect directly to you hone Ethernet Network.

Thanks

Ray Doerr
N519RV

New batch of iGates shipping out to their "forever"homes ...

20131124-060222-575x431.jpg

you have to admit, these are the cutest, most colorful iGates in the world

I still have a couple more which will be ready in another week or so. If you contacted me by PM but have not heard back about shipping then please check your messages.

UPDATE ...

The next three iGates ship out on Monday. I'm waiting on two more new radios before I can ship the next iGates. I continue to get laptops - one here and one there. I will hold off ordering radios since those are readily available (just as long as I don't mind waiting two weeks for delivery). As I get requests for iGates, I will offer to order the radio or let them order it and I'll ship out the configured laptop with the necessary cables).

I think I am finally caught up with emails. Let me know if I can answer any questions or if you are interested in one of the remaining iGates!

brought to you by ...
the_igate_factory_white-medium_thumb.png
:cool:

If you want one of the last iGates, please drop me a message.

Last edited:
One of the iGates has hatched. BTW, it's the "purple" one in the upper left of Glen's picture. Thanks to Glen for this amazing effort. I look forward to tracking someone soon.

Two more iGates should ship this weekend! Soon, Vlad will have coverage everywhere :D

I didn't think I'd be this lucky but it looks like I'll fill all requests before I run out of iGates. I'll keep one of two "in stock" in case anyone else is looking add to the APRS network.

Last edited:
It's been a blast but I now have a surplus of iGates so I'm going stop building anymore. I'ts been interesting (and a bit addictive shopping for the XO-1's).

Anyone still interested, there is one iGate (complete with radio), and two iGates without radios. ($110+shipping for a complete iGate and $70+shipping for a NORAD unit).

Back