What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacking the RV-14

JHartline

Well Known Member
Anyone have a solution for this yet? The RV jackpoints sold elsewhere on the site will not work for us yet. I'm thinking of using the hole on the inside of the axle mount as a possible spot for a lift point but have not asked Vans about it yet.

Don't know how similar our gear legs are to other models either. If any of you tailwheel builders have solved this please chime in.

We jack all of the RV prototypes (including the RV-14's) using the same method used for most certificated airplanes..... A wing jack at the tie down anchor on the bottom of each wing.

I have used the inside of the lower gear leg on my RV-14 (not 14A). From memory a 7/8" bar fits snugly and the you can jack with a small trolley jack. I plan make a lightened bar with a jacking pad welded on that will live in the plane for emergencies. The wing jacking points work great but I won't always have access to the correct jacks.

Thank you

That's two good options. Wing tie down point if you need the gear to hang down. Other way for something like a tire/brake change. Wing jack sounds expensive. I'll have to see if I can borrow one when the time comes.

That's two good options. Wing tie down point if you need the gear to hang down. Other way for something like a tire/brake change. Wing jack sounds expensive. I'll have to see if I can borrow one when the time comes.

A lot of people have made their own (or a pair) inexpensively using one of these from Harbor Freight

Plans to build a jack

Kitplane magazine had an article about 18 months ago with plans to build a wing jack. Research their library of articles - you'll find it. It uses the same hydraulic jack that Scott recommended. I followed the plans and used the Bogert Aviation RV jacking pads. Works a treat on my RV14A and was very cheap to manufacture.

Alan

We jack all of the RV prototypes (including the RV-14's) using the same method used for most certificated airplanes..... A wing jack at the tie down anchor on the bottom of each wing.

Both work well for jacking up the plane. Word to the wise, if you jack up from the wings on the taildragger, have heavy weights holding down the tail, otherwise it will come off the ground before the front wheels will. I don't have experience with the 14A. Yes the jacks are a little expensive, but you'll use them every year at the annual and any other time you have to lift the plane. I have also used the floor jack with the bar when I only needed to lift the one wheel.

The tail lifts on the RV14A as well. If you need the nose wheel off the ground (which you often do), some way to weigh down the tail is required.

Back