What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

YO_320 160 hp D1A

jccrv6

I'm New Here
I have a new Lycoming YO-320 D1A 160hp
May I use auto-gas on this engine?

If I well understood (!) The Y means is "not to be install on certified aircraft" ....
Jean-Claude

If you want absolute confidence, search the auto gas STC suppliers' lists to see if an STC is available for it.

Having said that....

I've been running E-free premium auto fuel in 160 HP O-320's (different -dash numbers) for over 20 years with no ill effects, except that caution must be used if you're in the USA & there is 'winter blend' fuel sold where you live. Winter blend in hot summer temps is not a good thing, due to increased vapor lock risk.

Do note that I run *premium* grade auto gas. The higher compression of the 160 HP O-320 doesn't seem to like regular grade very much.

Charlie

I have the same engine and run 100LL in one tank and 89 in the other. 89 is the most octane available w/o ethanol in this area. Use the 100 for take off and landing and the 89 for cruse under 65% power. Never tried it at higher power level. My engine monitor shows no difference between them and the engine seems to like it.

TCDS E-274

If you look at the Type Certificate Data Sheet E-274 for the Certificated version of the engine, it shows 91/96* for minimum grade aviation gasoline.

* See latest revision of Lycoming Service Instruction 1070 for alternate fuel grades

SI 1074 Rev V says: "ASTM D4814 93 AKI".

Octane

In the early to mid 60's many FBO's offered three grades of avgas: 80/87, 90/96 and 100/115(NOT low lead). All of the 8.5-1 compression Lycoming's are certified for 90/96.

Back