What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming rebuild Part 1

I agree with Steve, I rebuilt an O-320 years ago with a good IA looking over my shoulder the whole way. It was a great experience and had a good outcome.

Mark

If you can keep the videos of this process comming. I really enjoy watching this kind of video. I know it is long way down the road but I too have been playing with the idea of doing this myself...

thanks for sharing

Haven't built a Lycoming yet, but built several engines for cars and racing and I would say from the video you have done your homework and research. Looks like you are well prepared.

Engine Build

I am near the same point in my -9A build with an engine in the same state. I will be watching closely, as I plan to rebuild it myself.

Thanks for all the positive comments. I actually spoke to a local engine shop and the owner is going to assist me with putting it back together. Just going to cost me labor for 8 to 10 hours. Worth it to me for piece of mind. I will definitely try to make at least one more video. I will keep you all posted. Thanks, Phil

Excellent video Phil! You know that's what it's all about... each of us helping others "behind" us in the build. My plane has been flying since 2012. Mine is a LYC O-320 and if I ever reach TBO, (I'll be 61 in couple of months and my body may reach TBO before my LYC), videos like yours would tend to give one the insight that it's possible to overhaul it yourself. In the past, I've thought I'd pay a shop to do it... Gosh, seems that could get expensive. Your video has me rethinking the whole thing. I have no idea what an overhaul would cost if done by a shop. I'd guess one could save at least 50% by doing it yourself???

Thanks for taking the time and look forward to the next video.

Last edited:
I bought and overhauled a first-run O-360-A1A in '98-'99 for my RV-6, when you could still find an O-360 core. A new O-360 from Van's was about 21K back then and I had a total of 12K in this one, and I had all new parts in the cylinder top ends, new pistons, all new accessories and many other new parts. It's been great for 1550 hours now except for a cracked cylinder at 1450 hours. Bought a set of used cylinders that had 150 hours on a good overhaul by a great shop, had that shop check 'em again, and installed them for about 2K.
Beyond any cost savings, you are learning a lot that will serve you well in the future. I had Divco do my case, too and they were super, and I've done some business with Aircraft Specialties and I would recommend them, too.

Back